Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.7 9736c9b

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With v9 I found myself a little bit confused: should I still do the shoulder check or it's already safe to just look at 360 car view when manually changing lanes...
If the 360 view cannot be trusted then it's useless. So far I don't know, need more testing...
Can’t trust 100%

How i use it today is to first check the 360 view on IC. If there is a car, no need to bother. If there is no car on the side, then I either shoulder check or look at the rear camera. Either way, I still appreciate the 360 view

With v9 I found myself a little bit confused: should I still do the shoulder check or it's already safe to just look at 360 car view when manually changing lanes...
If the 360 view cannot be trusted then it's useless. So far I don't know, need more testing...

That's a bit harsh. It's a good aide but probably shouldn't trust it 100%. But since we are on this subject.....

One positive thing about this update for me is the responsiveness of the Autolane change. It has gotten a lot better. Earlier today I was using auto lane change when another car came out of nowhere to merge into the lane I was going to as it was initiating the lane change. The car reacted swiftly to bring me back into my lane and as it was doing that it noticed that the other car decided NOT to merge into the lane and my car re-initiated the lane change. All of this happened within a span of 3-4 seconds, lol. I saw all of this happen since I don't trust this car and I was looking behind me when it happened..... touche v9.

Hoping V9 fixes this issue when it arrives down under. Auto-lane change allows me to change lanes into oncoming traffic on the Sydney Harbour Bridge... I get that it's a dashed, not solid line... but the bridge has time of day lane use, more lanes south in the morning, then switches to more lanes north in the afternoon, so all lines are dashed, and lane use is based off green arrows or red x's above each lane. I hope V9 will recognise that the adjacent lane has oncoming traffic and will disable auto-lane change.

Attachments

• IMG_0869.JPG
    IMG_0869.JPG
    259.8 KB · Views: 101
Wow that looks pretty unsafe. I believe they have movable barriers for this, or a lane that has barriers on either side that switches direction.

I don't see how AP is supposed to know this without reading the signs above the road. Even if it recognises oncoming traffic it would still lane change into it when there is none.
Fortunately with the Sydney Harbour Bridge, there is always traffic coming from the other side. But indeed this is a real worry for future drive-on-navigation.

Has anybody else noticed the regression in auto climate control in V9? In V8 you could have it in a partially auto mode -- for example you could leave the vent selection (feet/head/both) on auto but override the fan speed. But now auto seems to be all-or-nothing; if you change any setting it drops the whole climate control system to manual.

I rather dislike this because my standard practice in the fall/spring (cool outside but not frigid) was to set the temperature quite low (60-64F) but disable the A/C compressor, in order to essentially disable the heater (due to having temperature low) without actually cooling the car to that level. But now when I try that trick it switches the whole system over to manual so I have to constantly tweak all the settings to be comfortable.

Fortunately with the Sydney Harbour Bridge, there is always traffic coming from the other side. But indeed this is a real worry for future drive-on-navigation.
I got to experience Drive-on-Navigation over the weekend. In the version we saw, 2018.39.1, it would alert the driver and require them to confirm the lane change. I know another version (2018.39?) would automatically change the lane without requiring confirmation from the driver. I think that they have it geocoded to only allow auto lane change in certain locations. I would guess that they would eventually allow the automatic lane changes without confirmation on major divided highways. On special roads where the lanes aren't divided or lanes alternate at different times of the day, I would guess they would not allow it to be enabled and would require the driver to handle things. In any case, if they did allow it to be enabled on these other roads and where lane direction changes, I would think they could continue with the suggestion/confirmation functionality without doing automatic, unconfirmed lane changes. The driver doesn't have to confirm the lane change if they don't want the car to change lanes. If they don't confirm, the car stays in the current lane.

I would guess that they would eventually allow the automatic lane changes without confirmation on major divided highways.

My experience with V9 lane change on a mostly highway road trip this weekend showed me quite clearly why they pulled Drive on Nav from the release. Lane changing is just not nearly good enough yet even on clearly marked divided highways. It seems in some ways worse than V8, though in some ways better.

The one big way it's better is that it will slow down to match speeds in the lane you're changing into. That's nice, when it works. But the biggest problem is also related to this -- if I have just passed a vehicle and there's a spot in front of it to change into, and I put on my signal, it will slow down to match speed of the vehicle that's now (mostly) behind me. This is really really annoying and potentially dangerous as cars behind you will not be expecting you to put on your brakes after passing a car before getting out of the lane; it means I have to wait until I am well clear of the car I just passed before putting on my turn signal. Except what it really means is that until they fix this, I will have to disable autosteer entirely to handle passing.

Another problem is that V9 seems more sensitive to seams in the pavement, mistaking them for lane lines or obstructions, causing it to abort lane changes and/or slam on the brakes. This is a regression I think; recent versions of V8 were pretty good about pavement seams.

See my post above, that is using Ubiquiti AC Pro system.
Need their USG (Security Gateway) it gives all kinds of stats, Deep Packet Inspectione, etc.
You also either need the "Controller Software" runningbon a PC or Mac.
I later moved the "Contoller" to the Cloud Key which required some readingnon the Forum.
Warning they aren't always the easiest to set up. Have to sh things from a Terminal, so if your not good at Googling your Research you may get frustrated.

I have:
1 Cloud Key (remote access) & can be the "Controller"
1 USG (needed for best Stats, DPI)
5 AC Pro APs (Access Points)
2 APs are Wired Ethernet
2 APs are Wired Ethernet thru a MoCa (works thru Coax with my Cable Modem)
1 AP in my Garage for Car 4&5 is a Wireless connected (like a Mesh Network works sort of)

Web Interface

View attachment 343441
View attachment 343443

seems like just installing tomato on an existing $30 router is easier?

Reactions: croman

We do the shoulder check because the mirrors can't be totally trusted. By your logic we should get rid of side view mirrors? Each additional tool like a mirror or the IC 360 display is just another layer of safety on top of the driving process. Throwing one out because it's not a be-all/end-all tool is probably a little drastic. They all work together.

I guess I am too "old-school", and probably also just too old ! o_O
I still drive the Tesla like any car I had 40 years ago. I look at the mirrors and over my shoulder. It probably paid off because after 800,000 miles of driving, I've never caused an accident, yet recall many times when I was about to change lanes until I saw a car in the blind spot or some speed demon coming around me at 100 mph.

So for me, the extra tools of seeing blind spots on the display and getting other warnings might help as my neck isn't any longer as flexible as the Exorcist girl. I value more input from devices, but I still look over my should and in the mirrors to see if all is clear and also confirm by quickly looking at the displays. Yea, the mirrors aren't great either, but it is one more piece of information. It sounds like from discussions here that many people use the display as the main tool for determining if they should change lanes. For me, it's too early in the technology process to trust it 100%.

C2966953-F62C-4CFC-BABE-FA6DBF865BEC.jpeg
Can anyone confirm if we can now turn on rear heated seats, heated steering wheel or heated wipers without having to turn on climate control in 39.7

Maybe it’s me but with 39.6 it seems impossible to get to the cold weather package menu without activating the climate control. Which in auto means cycling the AC unit
Agree, Heated seats and steering wheel function should separate from climate.. it should be accessible from the seat icon at the bottom of the screen like in Volvo cars as you can see in the picture.