Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.42.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MS100D AP2(Jul2017) running 42.2 does not show "Settings" anymore.
From the starting screen;
Tap the car icon in the lower LH corner of the screen
next screen
Tap Autopilot
next screen
Set 2nd slider Navigate on Autopilot (Beta)
Tap Customize Navigate on Autopilot
next screen
select the way that you want Navigate on Autopilot to work.

If you do not see the sequence of screen shots you may want to contact SC . Sensor calibration may be required or the latest maps.
I did not have an issue concerning calibration as the car was driven on

39.6 for 1500 miles taking relief supplies to the people of Panama City FL so I hope it was calibrated by end.
40 for 25ft
42.2 for 20 miles so far mainly on light industrial roads.

I then asked it to navigate to a store 17 miles away and the navigate on AP button did not show up in the turns list as it routed me via slow city streets.
I cancel the NAV request and asked to navigate to Destin FL and the turns list showed after a few seconds followed a few seconds later by a button at the bottom saying 'Navigate on Autopilot'

Created a zip file, which is attached.

Attachments

• NAVONAP3.zip
    587.5 KB · Views: 54
same. and no NOA for me
As a few others have already shared, this seems to be a somewhat common issue out there. Not having the latest map update seems to be the most likely cause for this - Tesla Support says this is why I have this problem in my X100D for instance. Unfortunately, there is no way for us to know what map version we have and if this is the problem, nor is there any way for us to expedite getting the required map update short of contacting an already overwhelmed support organization. And... the map update only downloads over a WiFi connection - not over the car's LTE connection.

Bottom line - if you have an AP2.0+ car with EAP and 2018.42.2+, and don't see Nav-on-Autopilot in the release notes (and are in the US where this feature appears to be currently geographically restricted in it's roll out), contact support for assistance.

• Informative
Reactions: BBB4000
As a few others have already shared, this seems to be a somewhat common issue out there. Not having the latest map update seems to be the most likely cause for this - Tesla Support says this is why I have this problem in my X100D for instance. Unfortunately, there is no way for us to know what map version we have and if this is the problem, nor is there any way for us to expedite getting the required map update short of contacting an already overwhelmed support organization. And... the map update only downloads over a WiFi connection - not over the car's LTE connection.

Bottom line - if you have an AP2.0+ car with EAP and 2018.42.2+, and don't see Nav-on-Autopilot in the release notes (and are in the US where this feature appears to be currently geographically restricted in it's roll out), contact support for assistance.
Thank you. I’ll do that. I think you’re right. A few weeks ago I got a notice on my screen that I need to connect to WiFi to download the latest maps. My car is connected to WiFi every night so I don’t get it. How can I tell if I have the new maps and what do the new maps give me?

Reactions: Bebop
Just got my tesla back from service with 2018.42.3, yes I have the drive on nav. 4 updates in 1.5 week, but the car is driving fantastic. I was in a loaner ap1 car, and I didn’t realize how miserable I was going from v9 Autopilot back to ap1. I enjoyed the loaner, but when I received my ap2 back with this 42.3, it worked incredible yesterday. Will drive more today, however, I am very confident in the ap. Not sure what regressed here, but I use ap for about 500 miles commuting a week, and it just keeps getting better

When on NoA, is the car supposed to suggest lane change from the fast lane to the slow lane when the slow lane is open at set speed or when someone is tailing the car in the fast lane and is trying to pass l? I have not seen that in my experience, the car stays forever in the fast lane.

• Funny
Reactions: TerrapinThief
In my (albeit less than 100 miles experience so far) the car tends to try to move one lane to the left to pass someone if you come up on someone going slower than you (based on your NOA mode setting), however it only tries to move to the right when approaching an exit/off-ramp. I agree that if you pass someone and the lane to your right is now open, what it should do is move back/recommend moving back over to the right. So far I have not yet observed that behavior.

Interestingly, I did observe a new alert today I haven't seen anyone mention..."Construction Zone Detected - Navigate on Autopilot limited" as I drove though an area where all lanes were open and no changes to road markings but orange/white construction barrels were on the side of the road, so it appears the cameras are recognizing the barrels and triggering the alert. Navigate on Autopilot did NOT drop out or shift to normal autopilot mode, only impact was the alert which then went away when I was past the barrels. I'll try to get a picture of the alert when I drive home later today.

Reactions: Richard34212
In my (albeit less than 100 miles experience so far) the car tends to try to move one lane to the left to pass someone if you come up on someone going slower than you (based on your NOA mode setting), however it only tries to move to the right when approaching an exit/off-ramp. I agree that if you pass someone and the lane to your right is now open, what it should do is move back/recommend moving back over to the right. So far I have not yet observed that behavior.

Interestingly, I did observe a new alert today I haven't seen anyone mention..."Construction Zone Detected - Navigate on Autopilot limited" as I drove though an area where all lanes were open and no changes to road markings but orange/white construction barrels were on the side of the road, so it appears the cameras are recognizing the barrels and triggering the alert. Navigate on Autopilot did NOT drop out or shift to normal autopilot mode, only impact was the alert which then went away when I was past the barrels. I'll try to get a picture of the alert when I drive home later today.

Mine has suggested lane changes both left and right to pass slower cars (Mad Max mode).

V9 (2018.42.x / 2018.39.x) vs. V8 (only 2018.36.x/2018.34.x/2018.32.x) by Country (only when min. 10 cars on teslafi):

teslafiv9bycountry.jpg

Japan, Hong Kong, Austria and Switzerland left out.

As it stands babysitting NoA takes more effort than simply driving on AP. Until that changes it is a "gee whiz" feature and doesn't really provide utility and is a novelty:
- When entering the freeway it doesn't recognize when the lane merges into traffic. It rides the merging lane until the last minute and darts onto the freeway when the merge lane ends.
- Even on Mad Max the car is slow to suggest a move to a faster lane.
- Lane changes are still very nervous (probably more applicable to EAP in general). Car requires quite a bit of room to execute the lane change. One of my biggest gripes how heavy it is on the brake. If a car in the target lane is closer than the set following distance, AP will apply fairly heavy brake force to create a gap before executing the lane change. If a car is in the target lane behind, all bets are off as to how EAP will execute the lane change.
-NoA likes to camp in the fast/passing lane.

Glad Tesla has released this to the general population but still a lot of iterating to be done.

Thank you. I’ll do that. I think you’re right. A few weeks ago I got a notice on my screen that I need to connect to WiFi to download the latest maps. My car is connected to WiFi every night so I don’t get it. How can I tell if I have the new maps and what do the new maps give me?
The short answer is: (877) 798-3752 (Tesla Support). There is no way that I know of for owners to figure out what map version they have, and if there are available (or required for that matter) map updates. I never got any notice that a map update was available... I called Tesla Support and they confirmed my car did not have the latest maps, and a day or two later when I followed up, they said the maps were just finishing downloading in my car. That said, I have yet to see any change in functionality - NoA is still not listed in the release notes in my car, nor is there an option to enable NoA in the Autopilot settings. I fear another call will be needed to get more detailed analysis of what's going on with the map update and/or whatever else is preventing NoA from becoming available for me.

Reactions: BBB4000
After being on firmware 36.2 for 36 days, I was updated to 39.7.1 one week ago. Yesterday, I was updated to 42.3 at 4:00pm and then only 6 hours later updated to 42.4. Didn’t even see if there were any release notes for 42.3 before it flitted away into never-never-land. So I believe I’ve moved from the “Neglected” camp to the “Let’s See How Good His WiFi Connection Is And Hit Him With All We’ve Got!” camp. Not sure yet which camp is preferable yet.

• Funny
Reactions: Tdreamer
After being on firmware 36.2 for 36 days, I was updated to 39.7.1 one week ago. Yesterday, I was updated to 42.3 at 4:00pm and then only 6 hours later updated to 42.4. Didn’t even see if there were any release notes for 42.3 before it flitted away into never-never-land. So I believe I’ve moved from the “Neglected” camp to the “Let’s See How Good His WiFi Connection Is And Hit Him With All We’ve Got!” camp. Not sure yet which camp is preferable yet.

Do you have NOA with 42.4?

I noticed a good amount on Tesla Fi Firmware Tracker going from 42.3 to 42.4. I figured something is wrong with 42.3 because I don't have NOA and others don't either (I also tried driving for a while to no avail).

As it stands babysitting NoA takes more effort than simply driving on AP. Until that changes it is a "gee whiz" feature and doesn't really provide utility and is a novelty:
- When entering the freeway it doesn't recognize when the lane merges into traffic. It rides the merging lane until the last minute and darts onto the freeway when the merge lane ends.
- Even on Mad Max the car is slow to suggest a move to a faster lane.
- Lane changes are still very nervous (probably more applicable to EAP in general). Car requires quite a bit of room to execute the lane change. One of my biggest gripes how heavy it is on the brake. If a car in the target lane is closer than the set following distance, AP will apply fairly heavy brake force to create a gap before executing the lane change. If a car is in the target lane behind, all bets are off as to how EAP will execute the lane change.
-NoA likes to camp in the fast/passing lane.

Glad Tesla has released this to the general population but still a lot of iterating to be done.

Agreed on pretty much all points. It IS pretty impressive, though, in terms of what I can do. I’ve taken some pretty complicated freeway exits and it’s handled them all flawlessly, including choosing the best lane to be in for multi-lane exits.

Also, Elon mentioned this in the recent interview, but I hadn’t seen it mentioned anywhere else: after taking an exit from the freeway to surface streets, it’ll automatically stop at the first intersection(I’ve tried this and it works quite well). The implication of that being that it can already detect and stop correctly for intersections.

Mine has suggested lane changes both left and right to pass slower cars (Mad Max mode).
You're right. It will suggest a lane change left or right to overtake. What I tried to say (badly) is that if it makes a lane change left to get in the passing lane and pass, it will remain in the passing lane instead of moving back over to the right until either (a) it catches up to another car and wants to pass it or (b) it is time to move to the right to prepare to exit.

Do you have NOA with 42.4?

I noticed a good amount on Tesla Fi Firmware Tracker going from 42.3 to 42.4. I figured something is wrong with 42.3 because I don't have NOA and others don't either (I also tried driving for a while to no avail).

Our 3 is on 42.3. We tried out NoA today and it was working OK.

One problem I think we had was enabling it in the Autopilot settings. I enabled it originally while it was in the garage, and probably on my wife's profile. When I drove it today, on my profile, NoA didn't show up. I checked the settings and NoA was disabled! I had to pull over, put it in Park, and enable NoA again. It worked fine after that (navigating to a destination with some freeway travel). So if I'm not crazy, it may need to be enabled for each driving profile.

At this point NoA can be treated pretty much like normal AP but with some addition navigation guidance. You don't have to do what it says. You can change lanes whenever you feel like it, without kicking out of NoA. It might beep at you, start slowing down for a lane change it wants to make, or take an exit on it's own (locally that's a lane change still requiring confirmation), but that seems like about it for the downside.

Still no love for AZ HOV lanes. They are separated by a solid white line that the Tesla (on 2018.42.3) wouldn't cross.