Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.48.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How did you get pole position to appear within ur vehicle? MCU1 Owner here
I would also like to know! I have a 2014 Model S and was sad when I updated and couldn’t find pole position! Any updates would be awesome.

All good things with Tesla cars start with a very important first step: root your car. If you don't you are at Teslas's mercy to allow or disallow you do exciting things.

I don't understand why when I hit the front windshield defog button it turns on, BUT when I hit the same button again it turns off the windshield defog AND turns on the A/C.

Is there a way to turn off the front windshield defog and not have the A/c turn on?

The whole HVAC revision is a disaster

Just updated to 2018.48.12.1 Now I noticed that voice recognition does not function, no voice prompt sound, nothing.
I have rebooted w/brake multiple times no changes.

Anyone with similar situation? Any fixes? Thanks!

I don't understand why when I hit the front windshield defog button it turns on, BUT when I hit the same button again it turns off the windshield defog AND turns on the A/C.

Is there a way to turn off the front windshield defog and not have the A/c turn on?

AC (dehumidifier) is what does 90% of the actual defogging. Why wouldn’t you want it on? Every car I’ve owned in the last 20 years automatically turns on the AC compressor on the defrost/defog setting.

AC (dehumidifier) is what does 90% of the actual defogging. Why wouldn’t you want it on? Every car I’ve owned in the last 20 years automatically turns on the AC compressor on the defrost/defog setting.

Every car but Tesla V9. Defog just increases airflow and redirects it towards windshield. So it sucks the moisty outside air, heats it and blows on the windshield... I'm so disappointed that they messed with that. I actually never needed to touch the AUTO setting and just used briefly the defog, which worked flawlesly on V8. Now you need to mess with the manual settings to defog the windshield at least partialy. It's really messed up.

And the seat heating with tiny icons (on a 17" screen) hidden under second submenu on areally sucks.

Really! because they are 'cutting edge' we should accept nothing to ever work correctly all at the same time as part of the Tesla EV experience? I'd like to hear the sales staff explain that view to potential customers.
Hmm, let’s see… The BMW 7-Series has some good performance, good efficiency sounds like it has great handling, nice interior, great audio, a good amount of tech within the vehicle.

The Tesla, on the other hand, has some good performance, good efficiency sounds like it has great handling, nice interior, great audio, a good amount of tech within the vehicle, aaaaaaand that tech gets updated every 2 or so weeks.

The software updates don’t break or impede the car’s ability to drive, to park, to do anything a regular car can do, it simply adds new functionality. It is software. Software is never bug-free. There are always going to be some quirks within the car that will, within time, be solved. Treat this as a tech novelty item, not a car.

You want the AC to turn on because that is what removes the moisture from the air which is the important part of defog.

Reactions: JohnnyG
... this is the first time (2018.48.12.1) that it [firmware update] did not complete normally. I never received notification from the app that it was finished; only that it started. When I went out to the car hours later, I had a message on the screen that read: "Update completed, checking status". Normally it is always displaying the Release Notes when I get in the car after an update. I cleared the message, and moved on. The app finally stopped showing "Software update in progress".

Same thing happened to me last night, except the MCU wouldn't wake up. No better in the morning, but fortunately a reboot brought up the "Update completed, checking status" window. <phew>.

Reactions: JohnnyG
Many of us would love to do it if you can provide full instructions.
instructions cannot be provided for obvious reasons. You need to find rooter friends to root the car for you or find your own way in. Or perhaps pay one of the guys that do it for money.

I am not turning people away if they pass by here (and don't charge them).

Even better would be if somebody actually makes Tesla to provide the root option for people that want it, but I don't know how to accomplish that.

Millipedes is awesome though! /s :p

Was hoping for Pole Position too. That said, the only games that are really playable are Lunar Lander, Asteroids and maybe Missile Command, if the controls were better. The other games (in Technicolor) are so hard to play because the frame rates are so bad. So I guess I'm not really missing anything. That's what I'm going with anyway.

instructions cannot be provided for obvious reasons. You need to find rooter friends to root the car for you or find your own way in. Or perhaps pay one of the guys that do it for money.

I am not turning people away if they pass by here (and don't charge them).

Even better would be if somebody actually makes Tesla to provide the root option for people that want it, but I don't know how to accomplish that.
Oh how I wish you were in LA. I'd be willing to pay!
Happen to know of anyone I could contact in the LA area? PM me please!

My god can we quit discussing useless video games and farts already? Can we maybe open up a thread for "entertainment" features?

I would like to talk about driving this thing. The change where now when you disengage autosteer TACC resets to the current speed is really annoying. In dense traffic I have to disengage all the time and usually when I do it I'm going below my set speed. Now I have to babysit TACC, which makes TACC so much less useful.

If they retain this behavior, that will be the final nail in the coffin of Autosteer for me. I'll just use TACC alone all the time, since engaging Autosteer makes TACC annoying. And that will be really sh*tty because I could have had adaptive cruise control on cars costing half as much as my two Teslas cost.

Also, my phone keeps showing "Software update in progress" even though the update has been finished for almost 24 hours now. Anybody else seen this? The software update is done, according to the in-car displays.

V9 appears to continue its slide further and further backwards in usability ... for MS/MX owners at least.

This is just the retarded way the controls work in V9 UI. Make about as much sense as a submarine with screen doors.

To be fair, the defroster should actually turn on the A/C compressor while on defog as it will help dry the incoming air and this is ok. But it would feel more natural if tapping on the defrost/fog icon should turn it on then tap it again would simply toggle it off... why in the heck does ti think I want to necessarily leave climate control on? Makes no sense, no sense whatsoever. Every day I get in my car and curse at it because it is just not intuitive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gator Rican