Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update 2020.48.26.x update, font size problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the cockpit UI in this build is better for the Model S/X but the large screen isn't. I would still prefer the V8 UI where you could swap screen halfs and each half was didn't have a margin with the navigation map behind it. In the current design the navgiation map ALWAYS needs to be rendered while in many trips I do not care AT ALL about the maps. I would prefer to have the TOP of the screen to be the rear facing camera and the bottom FULL half for spotify.

I wish they returned the V8 top bottom half on the Model S/X as that is very natural to the portrait screen. It wouldn't work for the 3/Y because these halfs are 16:9 ratio which simply cannot work. In 3/Y you would have 2x 9:16 which doesn't for the rear camera for example.

So, V8 interface with the slimmer flat design that we currently have for more usable screen estate.

One advantage to coming to this party a bit late is that I have been able to measure the before and after size of the Model 3 speed indicator. It is quite a bit smaller (about 3/4 of the original size i.e. 11mm vs 14.5mm). I need to do a test drive before deciding if this is a problem for me.
48-26-text-size.jpg

V8 interface with the slimmer flat design that we currently have for more usable screen [real] estate.

V8 seems so much better in many respects for MS / MX.

It is funny how much quality work gets chucked away by subsequent engineering teams. May be its just easier to find fault than to invest effort to appreciate the value of other people's work?

is there anything we can do so that Tesla either rolls back or improves

If Tesla actually want to listen to owner opinion, there is ample opportunity for them to do that, and imo get some valuable take-aways and insight.

I guess we will only find out for sure when we see a more complete vision of what's next, but there does seem a big liklihood that a bunch of stuff in this release needs a rethink.

Reactions: shellderp
No problem with new UI ... font is big enough for me, I like the speed displayed in left corner.
Car now renders cars and traffic signs that are further away from me.
Break lights are visible, I like the animations.

I love hove CHILL is displayed at the bottom .. it looks classy.

Reactions: RNHurt
I think they should offer multiple layouts (and font sizes) and let the user choose. If you, for whatever reason, are not interested in driving visualizations you should be able to select a smaller size and use that space for map or cameras. They could even make the vertical line that divides the two areas draggable, for the ultimate user configurability. That should be not too difficult to do as long as the UI elements are scalable...

I think they should offer multiple layouts (and font sizes) and let the user choose. ...

I think we all agree with that, the questions is how many MONTHS will we have to either :
- refuse a stupid update every time we take the car (for the lucky people who read forums before updating)
- try not to die while driving a more difficult to use car, after it took months to get used to its center-only display, and with music & other control farther away and harder to read.

It's just unacceptable to have a car have its speedometer move and change this radically with no user choice possible.

Moreover, every tesla owner loves the big nav map, the bigger the better, i'm sure many of us would put it fullscreen while driving if wde could (I would), and the idea of the day in tesla's HQ is to permanently reduce the NAV map in the model3. Same for rear camera that obviously should be fullscreen right from the start... They are out of their minds.

Last edited:
xpv53zb3gq761.jpg

Source Reddit Post

IMO there are so many things to nitpick here and not worth listing. If it wasn't for the old AP visualization one might think the bottom is the before image. I honestly think the team that did the original design would be pissed off. You can see there was a lot of thought and intent put into it that got wiped out. Even subtle things like the background gradient that's black at the top giving increased contrast to the important speed information at the top is gone.

the 3 suffers from the same issue i.e. contrast gradients are missing between the driving/AP display and the map. they also removed the gap between i.e. the media player and the driving display which makes it for some reason look very cluttered.
also they forgot to make the S battery grey when not charging which sees to be the new "look".
inconsistent between S and 3......

Reactions: Gt1948 and T Slaw
I think the cockpit UI in this build is better for the Model S/X but the large screen isn't. I would still prefer the V8 UI where you could swap screen halfs and each half was didn't have a margin with the navigation map behind it. In the current design the navgiation map ALWAYS needs to be rendered while in many trips I do not care AT ALL about the maps. I would prefer to have the TOP of the screen to be the rear facing camera and the bottom FULL half for spotify.

I wish they returned the V8 top bottom half on the Model S/X as that is very natural to the portrait screen. It wouldn't work for the 3/Y because these halfs are 16:9 ratio which simply cannot work. In 3/Y you would have 2x 9:16 which doesn't for the rear camera for example.

So, V8 interface with the slimmer flat design that we currently have for more usable screen estate.

The Nav could easily take 30% of real estate, followed by 30% for the media player and 30% for the AP view on the 3.
Or maybe even a horizontal split like in the S.
There is no need to see this huge chunk of the map. In one way seeing the nav instructions on the AP view is already a step forward. I would still like to see the blue line to give me a general idea of how curvy the road is etc but i really only need a small part of the screen for that. 30 /30 /30 would be my favourite.

Thebackup cam can just obstruct the media player and the app - i dont need to choose a song or see the map when reversing....in fact the camera currently obstructs the map anyway when in use.

Reactions: jsmay311