Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update 2020.48.26.x update, font size problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This might not be a popular opinion on this forum, but I’m alarmed by how the UI is being optimized for FSD at the expense of folks who just want to drive the car manually. As someone who doesn’t even like using the basic autopilot and has absolutely no interest in paying for FSD, I’d love to minimize the car visualization. Instead they keep taking up more of the screen and becoming more distracting at the expense of usability.
I hear you... however, FSD/Autopilot and the associated UI are kinda "part of the deal" with a Tesla. It's like buying a Mac and then wanting Apple to focus more on the command line development instead of the the GUI. Ideally they would do both, but Elon/Tesla are all about FSD and the end of manual driving

In the FSD beta videos you can see that (for example) if you are in a left turn lane that left turn traffic light will show the current color but the straight lanes will be greyed out. In other words only the traffic light that applies to your lane will have color. I've observed that happen many times in the beta videos. Is it possible that's what you are seeing with a normal build?

Nope, all the lights are grey, also for my lane, not just the other ones.

My gut feeling is that the people doing UI design at Tesla don't have any experience in human factors engineering for vehicles or mechanical systems, and come from more generic UI backgrounds. For a website, playing "F around and see what works" isn't dangerous.

For a car, it's incredibly important to get it right. ESPECIALLY cars with a dearth of physical controls as fallbacks.
THIS

This might not be a popular opinion on this forum, but I’m alarmed by how the UI is being optimized for FSD at the expense of folks who just want to drive the car manually. As someone who doesn’t even like using the basic autopilot and has absolutely no interest in paying for FSD, I’d love to minimize the car visualization. Instead they keep taking up more of the screen and becoming more distracting at the expense of usability.

I came here to say this. The only reason my car has AP is that I couldn't not select it. My wife's model 3 has only basic cruise control. Give me my screen space back!

I hear you... however, FSD/Autopilot and the associated UI are kinda "part of the deal" with a Tesla. It's like buying a Mac and then wanting Apple to focus more on the command line development instead of the the GUI. Ideally they would do both, but Elon/Tesla are all about FSD and the end of manual driving
Yes.

One of the questions asked by an analyst was - "how much are you spending on FSD R&D". Musk said "All of it".

This Ui update for Tesla's agenda is terrible, both me and my GF hate the loss of map/screen space on the right. What a joke, I went from a Model S screen to a 3 and now it's been cropped to meet Tesla's AP design needs. It would be great to have an option to reduce that size as I could care less about seeing my car or the useless drive lines. The map is crappy now, what next no maps because you don't need them if you have FSD? Joke

Maybe since I’ve only had my Model 3 for a week and a half, I’m the only one who doesn’t hate the new UI. Not sure I care about seeing more map as it generally isn’t needed since it shows much more than just a route now anyway. I also don’t mind the speedometer font size and the layout for related drive settings.

First off, I'll admit I'm not a 20 something. More like a 70 something. The fonts ARE too small for my old eyes. Fonts on every computer I've ever owned are scalable. For the price of a Model 3, theirs should be too. Second complaint (may be also age related). Why are the screen fonts shades of grey? Grey on grey is very hard for me to read. If I take my eyes off the road, that's bad. If Tesla were really on the ball, they'd have a speach enable along the lines of "Say Time." or "Say temperature." The car is smart enough.

Maybe. But where is the logic in rolling the UI change BEFORE any of the FSD features are actually available. We get the worst of both worlds as it stands.

Have you followed Tesla logic much? I think they have a "logic" dart board in the break room shared by sales and delivery. I would also add marketing and customer service but those departments are mostly gone.

• Disagree
Reactions: WdstockWizard
I think we also have a serious safety problem. If we can not read the essential information on our screens, Tesla should act quickly. Can you imagine, a lot of drivers have to put their reading glasses on and of during the ride, and while having the reading glasses on, you can not attend the road and traffic. SERIOUS PROBLEM, SERIOUS BUG.

Tesla please act!!

Adding my opinion on the new type sizes. I think it’s a safety issue for older people like me who simply can no longer read the charge%, energy display scale markings, odometer, temperature, etc. Very poorly thought out. I loved the driver’s display for the last year, now I hate it. Disappointing.

And yes I did pass my operator’s license vision test with a corrective lens restriction, and I wear my corrective lenses. The display still totally sucks.
agree with you....just got new prescription and was in good shape......the new font size is almost unreadable for my wife on her Model 3.....and for me on my model s, it is completely un-readable.....this is really a safety issue for me.....you cant take you eyes off the road long enough to try and read or figure out what the screen is tell you.....I think this is the prelude to Tesla releasing the FSD to the rest of us.....with all the information I have seen packed on the beta versions, the smaller font was probably needed to make room for it.....the car was a pleasure to drive but now it is a real pain.....this change did nothing to improve my experience