Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update 2020.48.26.x update, font size problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of us the the Model S, it would also be nice, IMO, to be able to toggle the AP/FSD visualizations onto the center screen, more like those on the 3/Y, and have expanded navigation/map visuals on the IC screen. Don't really need music / energy consumption / tire pressure / clock on all the time on the IC. They are redundant of what you can have on the center display, taking up valuable space in front of the driver for more immediately useful info...or, maybe finally put in a heads up display.

I spent quite a bit of time driving this morning and I think I've seen enough to share my thoughts.

+ Speedo position is much better in the corner. Font not an issue to me.
+ Font and icons along the bottom look much more modern.

= Position of wipers, camera, climate controls etc.
= Position of PRND.
= Battery color.

- Too many numbers in the same "space", (Speedo, Max, Cruise/Lane keeping, Speed Limit)
- Size and color of PRND.
- The size of the line depicting regen and battery use is too thin.

-- The size of the map window and the resulting wasted space to the right of the car animation. In fact, why do we need that animation at all? I only want a blindspot tool of some sort, the rest is actually distracting.

? - did not see any warning or status messages, so I can't judge the impact of font changes to important warnings or information, even text messages.

Overall it's not the huge downer I was expecting, but we need the ability to configure the content.

Reactions: DaveG_NJ
Just know that your warranty likely has a statement in it that says you have to install all upgrades offered to you to maintain the warranty on your car... (I don't know if that is enforceable or not, but it is there.)

Someone on FB said they had this happen. They were refusing updates going WAY back, and their eMMC was failing. Tesla denied warranty coverage because in this case, the owner was still on FW that had the excessive logging issue, and Tesla was claiming that if they had updated the FW, it wouldn't have worn out the eMMC so fast (whether that's actually true or not is another thread). Here's the FB thread in the "Tesla Model S Owners" group: Facebook Groups

• Informative
Reactions: rmh9
Two really big problems with UI old or new format (IMHO):
1) Warning messages should be in much larger font and stay on the screen a bit longer. This is a real safety issue to me.
2) Blind spot detection and warnings - same, a big safety issue for me in my 3. There is a blind spot and I can't always depend on UI, and mirror settings to warn me when I'm looking for traffic to my right on the freeway.. As was previously mentioned, many other 'not so smart' cars already have this. Why is it taking Tesla so long to implement????

Last edited:
Moderator note: Corrected original title...the software version being discussed is not software release V11.

Moderator note #2: The first 4-ish pages of this thread are a merge of four different threads on roughly the same topic.

I have a model s and did the update now The instrument cluster display writing so small it is hard if not impossible to read while driving.
I agree. The lettering is so small now, I have to put glasses on to read it...and take them off to drive. Which is clearly not safe

what I'd like to see is:

the user ability to rubberband-box (or similar) areas of the screen, define that instance (select from pre-defined elements like speed, battery, map, car_vis, etc) and for each one, you could set the attribute of user-stable or vendor do-as-you-will setting, and it would respect any user lock-down regions and NOT change anything inside them.

there are details you need to work out, but this is the general direction I'd like to see things go.

I really demand stable UI elements. its frustrating when phones change UI's based on developer whims; but its actually DANGEROUS to do this to cars. more seriousness needs to happen in the UI design group. if you can't support proper UI styles, don't pull what we like and are used to, out from underneath us until your software is truly ready.

we are beta testers, but we are not alpha testers. sheesh.

I think I saw someone mention on Twitter that Elon said they would provide a menu sizing option in a future update. Seems to me like this new layout is similar to the FSD beta layout, which likely means FSD beta is going to be released to a wider user base (maybe everyone with the correct HW) soon.

I agree that the font size and icon size are too small. I cannot read the remaining mileage, speed limit, or set speed in cruise control without wearing reading glasses. It is dangerous to have to hunt for glasses to read important information on the dash. I did not have this problem before this terrible update. As usual form EM, the promise of a new feature (scalable fonts) has no associated timeline. I guess it is time to hurry up and wait.

hint to tesla UI guys: as you get older, it takes more TIME to focus from smaller nearby things and then to the road ahead, thru the windshield. back and forth and it slows the 'polling' that we do with our eyes, down.

this is like adding delay to an inner while-loop. (to put it in geek terms) ;)

tesla, please learn this concept. for everyone's sake.

hint to tesla UI guys: as you get older, it takes more TIME to focus from smaller nearby things and then to the road ahead, thru the windshield. back and forth and it slows the 'polling' that we do with our eyes, down.

this is like adding delay to an inner while-loop. (to put it in geek terms) ;)

tesla, please learn this concept. for everyone's sake.

Very true!

I like geek terms! :)

For those of us the the Model S, it would also be nice, IMO, to be able to toggle the AP/FSD visualizations onto the center screen, more like those on the 3/Y, and have expanded navigation/map visuals on the IC screen. Don't really need music / energy consumption / tire pressure / clock on all the time on the IC. They are redundant of what you can have on the center display, taking up valuable space in front of the driver for more immediately useful info...or, maybe finally put in a heads up display.

Really good ideas!
Keep it simple, informative, easy to read quickly and user configurable!

Reactions: rmh9
just for fun - you know, if I was elon and read all this - I might have one more update that goes out to just a few - and puts the fonts in cartoonishly large format - for a few seconds (while the car is NOT moving) and then fades to small or normal. just to fsck with people ;)

hell, I would do that. ;)

not sure I want to give him any ideas, but it would be funny as hell for him to laugh at himself that way, ACK that we have a point and show us that he's really working on setting sizes and some customizations.

In the Model 3(Y) everything in this UI update takes our attention off the road, whether it’s the smaller fonts, the information icons that are now at the side hidden behind the steering wheel (and/or your hand while on the wheel), the additional (cool but distracting) animation on the now larger portion of the screen, or the smaller map.

All of this somewhat reduces the safety in a non 100% autonomous vehicle, even if only slightly. It’s a move in the wrong direction for a vehicle that is marketed as “best in class” in terms of safety.

This UI was optimized for passengers, not drivers.

Tesla, I hope you’re reading this thread...please “undo” the UI changes or fix this ASAP!!

He lies a lot.

“15 inch touchscreen display designed to improve over time.” This is a cut and paste from the Tesla 3 sales website, just now. It was there when I bought the car, over 18 months ago. I like most things about this EV, except I have never really taken to the way I access or see some information. I only drive city, in heavy traffic. I have been waiting a long time for the ability to adjust certain functions in a more user friendly manner, and increase the size and or position of some displays. I have presbyopia, as many of the unimpressed drivers here have mentioned. It is now clear that the UI is going in the opposite direction of what I have been hoping for. FSD interaction, playing games, funny horn noises, have been the only updates of note, for a very long time. I do not trust that this direction is going to change. Musk has a single minded vision. Expect it to get worse, for people who just want to drive it conventionally. If I can get a decent price for my 3, I am out.

Warning messages should be in much larger font and stay on the screen a bit longer. This is a real safety issue to me.

Definitely agree with this one. Those tiny text bubbles are impossible to read in a moving car - and I have perfect vision. They should be much larger and there ought to be an option to have verbal warnings as well if it's a safety issue. When the car is driving, I've got my attention on the road, not on the screen.