Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update Available! HW2 car!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, I have 17.3.2, but only see Forward Collision Warning on my release notes. My "new inventory" car did not have EAP when I purchased it a week ago, however they supposedly added the feature - I definitely paid for it. So should I assume that I need to call them - is there a situation where the EAP features may not be showing up yet even though I have 17.3.2?

Based on prior posts I thought I would hear an additional fan when running in Shadow mode. This is our 2nd MS so I know the sounds they make prior to HW2 and all is quiet when I turn off Climate, even with the glove box open. Based on all this input I'm thinking the term Shadow mode refers to the firmware more that what the car is actually doing. No fan would mean the new computer is not On, calibrating and sending info to the net. Would that be accurate?
While I haven't been keeping up with the sleuthing, what you describe seems plausible, but my understanding is that the car has been attempting to be in Shadow mode (the mode in which the car software determines what it would do if it were driving itself and compares it both to what you are doing and what would happen if it had done it) ever since you bought the car, and that the Shadow mode has been steadily improving over time, and that Elon was referring to the latest incarnation of the AI, all that the AI has learned, and the AI software environment, and that Elon was further referring to all of it (software) running in the latest version of shadow mode that he thinks is ready for download, not that it is the first time it is running, which I think has been turned on as soon as possible on almost all HW2 cars. I could be wrong. But, I doubt I'm wrong by a huge amount. (For instance, perhaps the Shadow mode started on a later version than I assumed. Probably, it was working before, but not as well. The camera calibration just being done now suggests that the Shadow mode wasn't as good as it could have been before, or that it wasn't even on, or not on fully.) So, more likely that additional fan is either something else or that computer hasn't been running at full speed until now. I wonder if they'll use heat pipes to cool that computer (the Nvidia hardware). Heat pipes could quickly wisk the additional heat into a cooling system that also cools the car's main battery pack, and the noises wouldn't be substantially different than regular driving, but I don't know if the computer cooling requirements are close enough to the operating temperatures for the battery pack. Also, I don't know if Tesla was using many heat pipes until recently, and HW2 designs may have predated that.

Last edited:
While I haven't been keeping up with the sleuthing, what you describe seems plausible, but my understanding is that the car has been attempting to be in Shadow mode (the mode in which the car software determines what it would do if it were driving itself and compares it both to what you are doing and what would happen if it had done it) ever since you bought the car, and that the Shadow mode has been steadily improving over time, and that Elon was referring to the latest incarnation of the AI, all that the AI has learned, and the AI software environment, and that Elon was further referring to all of it (software) running in the latest version of shadow mode that he thinks is ready for download, not that it is the first time it is running, which I think has been turned on as soon as possible on almost all HW2 cars. I could be wrong. But, I doubt I'm wrong by a huge amount. (For instance, perhaps the Shadow mode started on a later version than I assumed. Probably, it was working before, but not as well. The camera calibration just being done now suggests that the Shadow mode wasn't as good as it could have been before, or that it wasn't even on, or not on fully.) So, more likely that additional fan is either something else or that computer hasn't been running at full speed until now. I wonder if they'll use heat pipes to cool that computer (the Nvidia hardware). Heat pipes could quickly wisk the additional heat into a cooling system that also cools the car's main battery pack, and the noises wouldn't be substantially different than regular driving, but I don't know if the computer cooling requirements are close enough to the operating temperatures for the battery pack. Also, I don't know if Tesla was using many heat pipes until recently, and HW2 designs may have predated that.

Gosh - some first sentence!

Received (The Netherlands) and updated and drove a short testride: everything seems to work what is in this update (TACC, forward collision warning). However, I wonder in how many situations one drive at 70 km/h (autosteer max now): most provincial raods are 80 km/h, motorways are 100 or 130 km/h. So that leaves heavy traffic on motorways. I do not think this will result in a lot of real life autosteer data collection, and just "what if" simulated data. ("What if: autosteer would be enabled....) Other than that: happy at least some features are brought to life in my 3 weeks old MX :).

Installed the update last night and took it for a ride. It works as expected. TACC at 75 and AP at 45 on highway. No issue so far.

Since the last two updates, I am seeing an issue when a car cut into my lane and I think the camera is not recognizing it right away. Looks like there is a delay. I was thinking this might be fixed in this new update but it is still not working. Anyone has the same experience? How should I report this to Tesla?