Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update Available! HW2 car!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the last two updates, I am seeing an issue when a car cut into my lane and I think the camera is not recognizing it right away.

Yea, I experienced the same thing. My car doesn't see the other car coming into the lane until it is 100% IN my lane. I was using TACC following a car at 6 car length away. A car cut into my lane and close to my car. My car wants to just run through him and follow the car that I was following. I had to step on the brake to disengage TACC.

I'm in NY, hw2 with delivery on 12/23. Still no notification of an update, but I live in Brooklyn and street park , charging not daily but every few days as needed during my commutes / supercharging. As I'm not connected to wifi regularly, is there a way to push the update through ? Little bummed as I've been waiting so eagerly for this update.

I'm in NY, hw2 with delivery on 12/23. Still no notification of an update, but I live in Brooklyn and street park , charging not daily but every few days as needed during my commutes / supercharging. As I'm not connected to wifi regularly, is there a way to push the update through ? Little bummed as I've been waiting so eagerly for this update.

Only the service centers can push the update to the car otherwise you get it when you get it. And from what WK057 has said it looks like Tesla tries to deliver updates via WiFi for a couple weeks before resorting to using the costlier cellular data.

Using the wifi means we just have to connect once to wifi or stay connected for an extended time?

You can never tell if your car is slated to receive an update or not. If the information about Tesla trying to send an update for two weeks via WiFi, before then trying to send it via LTE is correct, then presumably if you connect to WiFi within that two week period, and happen to be connected whenever Tesla tries to push the update, you should get it.

However if you connect to WiFi for a day or two before Tesla has started trying to send you the update, nothing is going to happen.

If possible, you should connect to WiFi as much as you can if you want to increase your chances of getting an update sooner.

Reactions: josher32
HW2 90D Model S in Chicago. Got the software update last night and took the car for a spin on the highway today. I previously owned a Model S with AP1 that I traded in for the current Model S in December.

Comparison to AP1 so far - it appears HW2 is 'hunting' more within the lane when using auto steer. There are a lot of little moves left/right within the lane even on stretches that are straight. AP1 was rock solid in the same situation.

The other observation compared to AP1 is that it seems HW2 does better with not being fooled by exits on the left and right of the highway. There was a particular stretch of highway with multiple exits on the right that AP1 never could navigate by itself, and HW2 did not try to exit at any of these points.

The speed restriction combined with highway-only auto steer is a bit frustrating, but at least Chicago always has a ton of traffic and so you are never really going faster than 30 mph anyway.... Hoping they will accelerate the roll out of updates!

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100
Car finally calibrated and like everyone else I had to make an unscheduled drive around the neighborhood to check it out. So far I am underwhelmed. I'd call this an Alpha version, not a Beta version like mentioned in the disclaimer.

At 45MPH on the highway, there is enough left/right hunting to make me concerned. I can see now why the AP is limited to 45MPH, it would be unsafe at higher speeds. I'd call it a nice proof of concept, but not really practical right now. In bumper-to-bumper traffic I think I'd trust it, but that's about it.

The active cruise control works better, but it's still not seeing any cars in adjacent lanes. For cars in the same lane, it doesn't seem to see them as far out as I'd like. I see now why it's limited to 75MPH, any faster would be unsafe since it doesn't see the cars far enough. It's worse than my 2002 Distronic equipped Mercedes at freeway speeds, but better close-in.

Right now I'd give it a C-. I expected much more refinement for something that was supposed to be ready for public consumption in December 2016. To me, I think they are 1 year behind schedule. Tesla is just getting their feet wet with EAP it seems. Here's to hoping I'm way off base here and this thing will learn exponentially.

I updated my HW2 - but I cannot find one place where I can actually use the autosteer ... 45mph cap?? that is stupid -- was on the high way today -- and driving in the slowest lane - and even then I have to go like 60...

Tried in local area - but it says it cannot be used on this road....

Watched the dash display yesterday as I drove around town and the camera/sensor array calibration was quite "wiggly" when trying to locate the driving lane. Used the TACC this morning and it was pretty stable, picking up vehicles ahead and in adjacent lanes quickly. TACC wouldn't increase over 75mph, Autosteer wasn't available due to road and speed conditions.

TACC experience so far HW2...

1. Occasionally when coming to a complete stop behind a vehicle at a stoplight my car makes a jerk thrust forward then stops. Very uncomfortable.

2. Some phantom cars appearing on the dashboard screen that are not there. Then disappear.

2. Occasional short quick decelerations when going around a bend.

3. Slight over deceleration of my vehicle when a car in front of me switches lanes or moves into a turning lane.

4. Lanes dancing around consistently. Not stable yet.

• Helpful
Reactions: BigTaro
HW2 90D Model S in Chicago. Got the software update last night and took the car for a spin on the highway today. I previously owned a Model S with AP1 that I traded in for the current Model S in December.

Comparison to AP1 so far - it appears HW2 is 'hunting' more within the lane when using auto steer. There are a lot of little moves left/right within the lane even on stretches that are straight. AP1 was rock solid in the same situation.

The other observation compared to AP1 is that it seems HW2 does better with not being fooled by exits on the left and right of the highway. There was a particular stretch of highway with multiple exits on the right that AP1 never could navigate by itself, and HW2 did not try to exit at any of these points.

The speed restriction combined with highway-only auto steer is a bit frustrating, but at least Chicago always has a ton of traffic and so you are never really going faster than 30 mph anyway.... Hoping they will accelerate the roll out of updates!

Autopilot maximum speed will increase faster than the average Chicago freeway speed, so you should be good to go! :)

RT

• Funny
Reactions: wesley888
Still no update for me yet. No complaints.... just letting people know they aren't alone. One wifi for most of yesterday. Otherwise usually I'm just on LTE.
I think I got lucky. I am usually always on LTE. Last night decided to leave my spare android phone in the car and turn on hotspot and connect to car. This was 8pm. At 9:03pm, I got software update notification. By 10pm I had it installed and was out driving. Spent about an hour and tried both TACC and auto steer and both worked as expected with known issues. Still pretty nice.