Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update Standard vs Advanced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any reason why I would not have the Advanced option selected on Software Updates? Any reason why I should keep it on standard?

Personally i would just do Advanced, never had any problems with getting that software. It's more like "Standard" and "Slow" anyway as they use the Early Access Program for real beta testing (once they do internal testing of course).

As far as anyone can tell, that switch isn't hooked up to anything... People here on TMC, Reddit, etc. who have multiple Teslas with one on 'advanced' and one on 'standard' have had several times where the standard one get the update days ahead of the advanced one.

I'm guessing this sets a bit back at HQ that they could use if there there ever was a feature that really changed something about the car but they wanted to give people a way to opt-in for a bit before they make it fleetwide. But, to date, no one has ever produced evidence that that switch is anything more than an "elevator close door button"

Hi friends,

Is there any reason why I would not have the Advanced option selected on Software Updates? Any reason why I should keep it on standard?

Thanks!

The .0 version of firmware is almost always followed (often fairly quickly) by .1 or .2 or higher versions that fix bugs in the .0 version.

So (if standard/advanced actually does anything) you're more likely to avoid the buggy versions and get the patched ones.

I will put mine on standard now.

I had mine set to Advanced for a long time, but this past week have been watching 2020.12.5 get released to over 60% of the fleet and not mine (I usually get updates within the first 10-20%).

I just changed my software setting to Standard, and BOOM! 2020.12.5 started downloading.

Coincidence?

You triggered it to check by going and looking at that screen. So coincidence.

I really think it’s for the future and has no impact on things today.

I had mine set to Advanced for a long time, but this past week have been watching 2020.12.5 get released to over 60% of the fleet and not mine (I usually get updates within the first 10-20%).

I just changed my software setting to Standard, and BOOM! 2020.12.5 started downloading.

Coincidence?

You triggered it to check by going and looking at that screen. So coincidence.

I really think it’s for the future and has no impact on things today.

I’ve been trying to “trigger” it in the past few days buoy going to the Software screen to no avail. Even this morning, going to that screen said I had the latest. It’s only after I moved the setting to Standard that it said I had the update.

since day one of getting my car, ive kept it on advanced and got updates sent just as timely as others who used the "standard" setting.

also, ive just gone into that page to see if there would be any updates and I see the page "refreshes", so i think regardless of whether you have the setting on standard vs advanced, if your car is ready and picked for the update, you get it.

kind of like how my galaxy note phone does. some people on reddit will say they get so and so update but some don't. eventually the phone will be tagged for the update and get it.

Since everyone seems to agree that it doesn't do anything, I'm wondering if it's possible that it actually has to do with the TIME of update- in terms of charging Peak vs Off-Peak rate times(??). Seems strange that Tesla would offer a toggle between Standard & Advanced, if it truly didn't do anything.