Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Neilio

Jul 8, 2020
Brentford
A thought has just occured to me. I live in an apartment and the parking is underground. I'll never be able to connect to a WiFi and won't be able to get updates.

Does anyone have this problem? Any workarounds?

The car should still recognise that an update is available (when offered to your car in the mystical methodology of the Tesla gods) over the car's mobile data connection. Then it will be a question of getting to a WiFi hotspot (you could tether to a mobile phone data connection if you have no other place you can park the car in range of public or private WiFi).

The car should still recognise that an update is available (when offered to your car in the mystical methodology of the Tesla gods) over the car's mobile data connection. Then it will be a question of getting to a WiFi hotspot (you could tether to a mobile phone data connection if you have no other place you can park the car in range of public or private WiFi).
I think the tethering is the only option. How big are these updates? I might be eating into my data quite badly!

Quite. So sounds like tethering probably out of the window.

Software updates normally come in at several GB. Its not uncommon to be offered more than one per month. We have had 23 since last September and we are on the standard 'stable' release schedule.

Nav update normally seem to be once per year and is bigger still but you don't get to say no to that. It looks like its going to be 3 this year as they pulled the latest version and replace it with last years - we still await the fixed one.

I bought an EV to save monthly costs. Seems wrong to then spend more on a mobile phone plan, just for the vehicle.

Updates will be notified so you will have the opportunity to go somewhere with wifi ... and you don't have to do it immediately. Is Brentford particularly lacking in wifi opportunities? o_O Sorry, I don't know the area but I do remember Brentford Nylons in the 1970s :). Wait a minute ... you're in London! Lots of folk on this forum should be piling in with handy local advice!

Quite. So sounds like tethering probably out of the window.

Software updates normally come in at several GB. Its not uncommon to be offered more than one per month. We have had 23 since last September and we are on the standard 'stable' release schedule.

Nav update normally seem to be once per year and is bigger still but you don't get to say no to that. It looks like its going to be 3 this year as they pulled the latest version and replace it with last years - we still await the fixed one.
Any leaks trickled out as to why it was pulled (Apart from being tosh)

Updates will be notified so you will have the opportunity to go somewhere with wifi ... and you don't have to do it immediately. Is Brentford particularly lacking in wifi opportunities? o_O Sorry, I don't know the area but I do remember Brentford Nylons in the 1970s :). Wait a minute ... you're in London! Lots of folk on this forum should be piling in with handy local advice!
I’m sure one or two guys have said they’ve been surprised having downloaded via LTE

There’s plenty of free WiFi in buildings. They always get upset when I drive my car into the library though. I reckon I’ll be able to get the free WiFi from McDonald’s car park.

Ah the “glamour” of owning an EV

• Funny
Reactions: Adopado
I think the tethering is the only option. How big are these updates? I might be eating into my data quite badly!
Try with the cars' LTE first...

When I first got the car, I had to park with the nose hard up against my house to get a (weak) wifi signal and download the updates. This was a pain because normally the car is reversed for charging.

Then on another occasion we were out walking somewhere with the car parked in a lay by & the notification appeared on the phone so I thought might as well try the update.... it did the 2 min countdown, downloaded & updated by the time we were back to the car.

Since then, I've done the last four software updates this way, three of which were in remote Snowdonia carparks miles from any building (28.6 last week).

For some reason my car doesn't need wifi.

Reactions: Neilio
You need WiFi for the nav updates as they are very big, but pretty infrequent.

Normal updates will be pushed by WiFi first but then LTE. Tesla would rather you believe its WiFi only but it isn't.

I don't have one.

I bought an EV to save monthly costs. Seems wrong to then spend more on a mobile phone plan, just for the vehicle.

TBH I use tethering all the time and data is cheap nowadays, other networks are available but this seems a cracking deal Unlimited txts, unlimited Calls and 30GB data all for £10 per Month 30GB data SIM plan for only £10 p/m (Unlimited calls & texts)

Oh and no need to park up anywhere just turn wifi back on once your in drive and download on the go ;)

Reactions: Neilio