Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Ver. 2019.20.2.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Per Tesla tech, you should do the following after any update:

1. Reset the touchscreen

Shift into Park and hold down both scroll buttons on the steering wheel until the touchscreen turns black and the Tesla logo appears then release the scroll buttons. Within approximately 30 seconds, the touchscreen restarts.

2. Power off the car

You can power off Model 3 by touching Controls > Safety & Security > Power Off. Allow 3 minutes for the car to completely power off then
Model 3 automatically powers back on again if you press the brake pedal or touch the touchscreen.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde and sduck
the auto brightness seems to not work properly when you first download the new software as it defaults to something very dark. After a few minutes and a reset, I was able to manually adjust the slider to a good brightness and it stayed there. It didn't automatically revert back to something very dim.

I just got 2019.20.2.1, display “brightness” was same as before. Messed around for about 35 min, did a soft reboot and the screen was “brighter”. Took it around the block, almost dark here, no change. No degradation in screen brightness. Seems I was spared the “dim screen” issue(?). We’ll See in the morning at 0530.

I just got 2019.20.2.1, display “brightness” was same as before. Messed around for about 35 min, did a soft reboot and the screen was “brighter”. Took it around the block, almost dark here, no change. No degradation in screen brightness. Seems I was spared the “dim screen” issue(?). We’ll See in the morning at 0530.

my dim screen issue happened immediately after the auto-transition from day to night mode.

I haven't driven at night yet so have not tried auto brightness, but the way I read the release notes is that the auto display brightness is now adjustable by manually dragging the slider. The way I interpreted it is that you can adjust how bright you want it and then the system will adjust it based on ambient relative to your preference.

I assumed you would need to adjust once to your liking and then the system will handle from there. Is it not working that way?

Per Tesla tech, you should do the following after any update:

1. Reset the touchscreen

Shift into Park and hold down both scroll buttons on the steering wheel until the touchscreen turns black and the Tesla logo appears then release the scroll buttons. Within approximately 30 seconds, the touchscreen restarts.

2. Power off the car

You can power off Model 3 by touching Controls > Safety & Security > Power Off. Allow 3 minutes for the car to completely power off then
Model 3 automatically powers back on again if you press the brake pedal or touch the touchscreen.
I've heard this before, but honestly it makes 0 sense to me. After an update is applied, the car restarts itself as part of the normal process. I don't see how rebooting it again is going to do anything.

I've heard this before, but honestly it makes 0 sense to me. After an update is applied, the car restarts itself as part of the normal process. I don't see how rebooting it again is going to do anything.

I agree. You'd think if this actually did something that Tesla would add an extra reboot at the end of the update install procedure.

20.2.5 is out for beta.
Indeed. I have it. And I took a 110 mile round trip on I-5 Monday. They've really improved the EAP lane changing (NOA) from what I can tell. It was a beautiful cruise with no troubles all the way down and back. The car switched lanes on it's it own with no or only slight hesitation unlike earlier versions. It really was like a competent human was at the wheel. I should probably add that this was both daylight and night driving and the traffic was medium both ways. I don't know if the auto lane change would be successful in heavy traffic. I rarely drive in big city rush hour traffic.

I had one area on the freeway where it seemed to seeing something that made it slow down but it was only for a second then it went back to normal. Quick enough that I didn't have time to take over. Don't know what it was. I was not near an overpass. Also, it slowed down for a piece of cardboard that blew across the road. The cameras must be pretty good because it was only about a 6" to 12" square and probably at least 50' away, but it saw it and tried to take action. Again, it was so fast I didn't have time to take over nor did I need to.

Last edited:
Holy crap you guys were right about the brightness.

I just got the update 2 days ago and did a reboot afterwards. On my way home last night, I saw the screen go dark. I thought it had shut down on it's its own so I let it be for about 5 minutes and it hadn't come back. That's when I realized the brightness was set way down low.

I guess I'll have to manually adjust my brightness from now on at night. :(

Not sure why it matters if it makes sense or not when it works, and has worked for every issue that has ever come from an update (for me at least)

Should Tesla do better? Sure. But this is a work around, it takes maybe 4 minutes to complete and then you good to go. Hardly seems worth debating.

Reactions: FloridaGary