Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Ver. 2019.20.2.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had 2019.16.3.2 when I picked up my P3D on the 7th. Last night I had my first S/W update to 2019.20.2.1. Everything went well on the drive to work. Same as before as far as I could tell. Came out after 9 hours and put in reverse, backup camera shows black, it does show the lines, but no image. I did the two button Reboot, no fix. So I went ahead and drove home. On the way home I noticed, no cruise control, no Autopilot, and the car display only showed my car, like all the sensors were dead? I'm at home again, car is charging, and has WiFi. Any help?

From what I've read it should come back when the car sleeps.

I was given this advice by Tesla support. They told me to do the following after every update:

1. Reset the touchscreen

Shift into Park and hold down both scroll buttons on the steering wheel until the touchscreen turns black and the Tesla logo appears then release the scroll buttons. Within approximately 30 seconds, the touchscreen restarts.

2. Power off the car

You can power off Model 3 by touching Controls > Safety & Security > Power Off. Allow 3 minutes for the car to completely power off then
Model 3 automatically powers back on again if you press the brake pedal or touch the touchscreen.

This should bring your functionality back.

Just got this update. The new display brightness "fine tuning" made my display almost invisible. And adjusting the slider back to where I wanted didn't stick - it kept dimming back down. Maybe I'll get used to it.

Oh, and yes, I do those reboots mentioned above after every update - that's not just a model 3 thing, they've been suggesting that for the other models for many years.

Just got this update. The new display brightness "fine tuning" made my display almost invisible. And adjusting the slider back to where I wanted didn't stick - it kept dimming back down. Maybe I'll get used to it.

Oh, and yes, I do those reboots mentioned above after every update - that's not just a model 3 thing, they've been suggesting that for the other models for many years.

Same here, I drove my car tonight on this update and it's super dim on Auto. Like I need to get closer to it to even see everything dim. It was definitely to bright before at night, but this is too much.

Reactions: ord3r
Got this update last night. Auto screen door was fine in the day, but once it switched to night mode....whoa, very hard to read. Had to increase the brightness to read anything. It was dusk and the sky still had plenty of brightness reflecting on the screen. Purely at night it's low intensity might be ok. Cars still dance a lot for me. Also charged at a supposedly 150kW supercharger and only saw 109 kW...

Reactions: ord3r
Do you have HW3? I’m still on 2019.16.3.2 and I think I have HW3.

No you might have 2.5, come to find out even brand new cars are still get HW 2.5 very odd.

If you have a plastic flat tool you can pop the few rivets under the passenger footwell, then the plate comes right off with a little tug. And you'll see a silver metal box with a date stamp on the far right.

Re: Display brightness. I have also noted that my headlights (set to auto) are on during times where it is bright enough they should be off (and used to be). I wonder if there is a change affecting the light sensor that is making the car think it is darker out so the headlights come on and the display dims?

Reactions: Castlerock
Thanks everyone. All functions back to normal again. Rear camera and autopilot worked on the drive to work this morning after the car slept.
I’ll remember to do a reboot and sleep it after each update now.
Mine kept stopping working like this, had to get cameras recalibrated at service centre today (done in an hour). If it happens again try pulling the autopilot on , do you get yellow steering wheel and cameras need aligning message? If yes you may need to take it in.

Had 2019.16.3.2 when I picked up my P3D on the 7th. Last night I had my first S/W update to 2019.20.2.1. Everything went well on the drive to work. Same as before as far as I could tell. Came out after 9 hours and put in reverse, backup camera shows black, it does show the lines, but no image. I did the two button Reboot, no fix. So I went ahead and drove home. On the way home I noticed, no cruise control, no Autopilot, and the car display only showed my car, like all the sensors were dead? I'm at home again, car is charging, and has WiFi. Any help?
Try turning sentry mode off for 5 minutes then try again. If that works you can then turn sentry mode back on. That worked for me!

I was home no more than a few minutes before the car started downloading 20.2.1 - with my wifi it was done with downloading in a minute or two more.
So its not based on idle time either.
Face it - we know next to nothing about how this process works :confused:
[edit]
just an update - this was a small download too, less than 250M