Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software versions for Powerwall 2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As part of the PGE /Tesla application, they ask if you are applying for the ITC. Clearly they know who is applying or not. My calculations suggested that being able to charge from the grid was worth more than the ITC credit. So I opted not to. So they clearly have a record that I am not opting for it, so why not allow my software to charge from the grid. I'm sure it is one field in their database to manage this...
I'm also hoping for the option to charge my Powerwalls from solar or the grid since we have TOU and it would be useful in periods of bad weather. My Powerwalls will be free so they won't be eligible for the ITC.

Yes, but you can choose when to charge form solar. Charging during peak rate makes no sense. You want to charge during off peak and use the charge during peak rate. That is 100% ITC credit compliant.
Ok yea that makes sense. If you can charge before 3pm and then dump 100% of the solar to the grid between 3pm and 8pm (or 4pm and 9pm), then yea that would potentially save you even more money.

Makes sense to me now. I always was thinking as this request is to charge the battery like an EV at night, then using it during peak during the day.

Ok yea that makes sense. If you can charge before 3pm and then dump 100% of the solar to the grid between 3pm and 8pm (or 4pm and 9pm), then yea that would potentially save you even more money.

Makes sense to me now. I always was thinking as this request is to charge the battery like an EV at night, then using it during peak during the day.
Yes that is partial TOU rate arbitrage. The full arbitrage would be to allowed to charge at night via the grid and use it throughout the day just like folks currently do without solar. I would be perfectly fine having a restriction that prevents me from discharging non solar energy back to grid if I charged the night before. I know I would not qualify for ITC if I did that, but over the long run that arbitrage is more valuable economically.

Reactions: arnolddeleon
So here's the entire story.

v1.14 and v1.15 already have the Time of Use Load Shifting or "Time-Based Control" as Tesla calls it. While in the internal pilot, they found a few bugs so they are fixing it. There is a flag in the 1.14 and 1.15 that they can switch on or off for this feature, so right now it's turned off until they have fixed the bugs and completed their internal validation. They are thinking between 2 to 4 weeks to fix the bug, so when it's release they will turn on the flag.

This is only for Powerwall no PV users.

So I finally got 1.15. I am a no solar operation. App 3.3.2 doesn't have time based. And the wizard itself still only lists backup and self consumption modes, no tou or anything.

May I ask where u get Ur information and whether you were successful in activating time based feature and if not why.

Thanks.

So I finally got 1.15. I am a no solar operation. App 3.3.2 doesn't have time based. And the wizard itself still only lists backup and self consumption modes, no tou or anything.

May I ask where u get Ur information and whether you were successful in activating time based feature and if not why.

Thanks.

I'm not part of the pilot, as that is reserved for Tesla Energy employee as far as I know (maybe a few exceptions there). They have not flipped the switch due to the bug, but right now you have it, it's just that they have not activated it.

If they determine the bug can be fixed in 1.15, then when they are ready they'll flip the switch. If it requires 1.16 or 1.2, then will push that one out and then activate it.

Sorry, I won't be able to answer the question about where I get my info from, but I'm sure your guess is accurate

Note: Once it's ready, they do want to get it into as many "Powerwall with no PV" owners as possible (where the electricity provider does not prevent them from offering "Time-Based Control" aka "Time of Use Load Shifting".

Just got activated today:
1PW + 3.6Kw PV system on SDGE grid with TOU-EV
SGIP stage 4.
ITC planned.

V 1.15.0
App 3.3.2

-NO TOU option
--started 20% battery today and up to 49% right now with 3.1kw flowing to battery and 0.3kw to grid.

Don't know why in the world it's moving 0.3kw to the grid.

Q's to optimize my full arbitrage thoughts though I know it'll void the agreement, just wondering if possible. Totally know that's the reason why back in the initial PV days, grid-tied PVs were NOT allowed to use batteries with Netmetering+TOU.

-- Any way to charge the battery overnight via grid at all?
-- any way to force full discharge?

I’m in Puerto Rico still with no power Irma huracán I just a have a Powerwall2 with PV 3.9 kW for 2 months I’m using backup mode the version is 1.11.2 the apps is working weird it shows the grid producing to the house some time when I have no grid for 6 months 1/2 can some one hep me ?

Anyone else having problems with their PW2's not fully charging?

Install completed last week, initially on v1.12. Since day one, our 3 PW2s will not charge above 73-74% (webpage GUI, 71-72% on app). Once they hit that point, no amount of sunshine will fill them up, it just gets shunted off to the grid.

v1.15 installed today, same problem.

Anyone else having problems with their PW2's not fully charging?

Install completed last week, initially on v1.12. Since day one, our 3 PW2s will not charge above 73-74% (webpage GUI, 71-72% on app). Once they hit that point, no amount of sunshine will fill them up, it just gets shunted off to the grid.

v1.15 installed today, same problem.

I have never seen this issue. I am on v1.15, and have had my units since September.

Mine on 1.15 charges to 100% on sunshine. I have a single unit. Is your problem a function of having multiple units and the consequent programming involved?

Talked with Tesla, they have opened a ticket and escalated it to L2 support.

Apparently there is an issue with one or more of the internal "meters" within the PWs that are telling the system to stop charging too soon.

Glad I haven't cut Tesla the check yet. ROFL

Well, I have been having issues with my solar system saying my house is consuming more energy as my solar production increases (long story). So Tesla was out yesterday doing some trouble shooting and when they left ToU control on my app was activated! Version 3.3.2 and 1.15.0 for the powerwall. Just discovered at 8 pm last night so pretty excited to finally have this feature. Not sure how they are rolling this out, but I think I just got random luck here!

Reactions: GenSao and dlieu
Well, I have been having issues with my solar system saying my house is consuming more energy as my solar production increases (long story). So Tesla was out yesterday doing some trouble shooting and when they left ToU control on my app was activated! Version 3.3.2 and 1.15.0 for the powerwall. Just discovered at 8 pm last night so pretty excited to finally have this feature. Not sure how they are rolling this out, but I think I just got random luck here!
can you post ACTUAL screenshots from the app showing the feature? I suspect the Tesla docs only have mock-ups, not the actual application screenshots.
Thank you!

Last edited:
Screenshot_20180320-092155.png
Screenshot_20180320-092155.png

I knew someone was going to ask that. Here they are! Still learning how best to use the function as today is day 1 of it for me and we are being nailed by a storm in Northern CA so not much sun!