Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarCity (SCTY)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
See, I disagree. You put him on Colbert and ask him to articulate the value proposition to the world and it won't come across in any way the public will absorb. It's been tried a bunch of times and isn't working. There are plenty of people within that exec team that could be out doing these shows and spreading the word. Delegate.

You don't have a software engineer talk to people, that should be rule #1.

i think he does the simple pitch quite well: pay less for energy then you do now. Won't cost you a dime to do it. That's solar today. Not for the rich. Not for the activists. For everyone with a home that wants to save on that electricity bill.

He says this on Fallon, and the public will go wait what? The awareness is the key, not the specifics. They will click the ads now. They will google solar. They will start to get interested, because it's something totally new, cool, fascinating, and affordable (Which is Lyndon's job to tell people.)

I think he can do that, and delegate the rest. Tim Cook style.

hes got a great story too: the kid-next-door with big dreams that married his high school girlfriend and started his first health products company at 17 to help people be their best. As a person that's struggled with his own dyslexia, Lyndon health is important to tackle life's challenges head on and never give up even if you've deal a tough hand. Some places don't give people any chance, but not the untied states. Lyndon and his young wife came to America to find their place in the world. Even after starting a multimillion dollar company here, he was on he verge of succumbing to deportation. However, his fighting spirit to take on even the most challenging tasks to live his dream, he was able to gain a green card through his wife's special ability to play the sport of underwater hockey of all things! And actually, became pretty good at it because now, as an American citizen, he might just represent the untied states in 2016! And we haven't even discussed his current passion of leading his solar company on the mission to change the entire energy industry and combat combat climate change at the same time!

Last edited:
i think he does the simple pitch quite well: pay less for energy then you do now. Won't cost you a dime to do it. That's solar today. Not for the rich. Not for the activists. For everyone with a home that wants to save on that electricity bill.

He says this on Fallon, and the public will go wait what? The awareness is the key, not the specifics. They will click the ads now. They will google solar. They will start to get interested, because it's something totally new, cool, fascinating, and affordable (Which is Lyndon's job to tell people.)

I think he can do that, and delegate the rest. Tim Cook style.

Fair enough. I really thing that CNBC interview is just sticking with me most.

Did you watch the town hall video? Too much detail to hear from a software engineer.

Fair enough. I really thing that CNBC interview is just sticking with me most.

Did you watch the town hall video? Too much detail to hear from a software engineer.
Again, the town hall meeting video will be seen by a few people, and they are already invested in Solarcity in some form or fashion.

Its not the audience for mass awareness message I'm taking about. That was aimed at most the ambassador program. It's ironic that the biggest ambassador opportunity is squarely in the hands of Lyndon. He needs to spread the word on media programs that will get him the most bang for his buck. There is a reason Donald trump talks so much trash. He gets free publicity from it! Lyndon can drastically cut aquisitiion costs by being more in the media. He kinda has to take the Elon route here. As a big idea speaker, I feel he can do it just as well too. Maybe they both do a show together as hard working cousins.... Bottom line, an emphasis on the broader media that connects with a wider age group and employment group would be really beneficial in my opinion.

Lyndon's thick accent makes it hard to understand sometimes. I'm a complete financial novice but for my 2 cents Brad Buss gives me a lot more confidence on conference calls. He should be the guy that gets sent out to the CNBC type interviews. That crowd doesn't get excited by tech stuff anyway, they just want to know how it's going to make money in the short/long run.

Lyndon's thick accent makes it hard to understand sometimes. I'm a complete financial novice but for my 2 cents Brad Buss gives me a lot more confidence on conference calls. He should be the guy that gets sent out to the CNBC type interviews. That crowd doesn't get excited by tech stuff anyway, they just want to know how it's going to make money in the short/long run.

i agree

I've thoroughly enjoyed the back-and-forth in this thread since Benson went ursual.

I've tried to do my own analysis but I'm having a really hard time seeing how/if SCTY's business plan stands on its own legs, without generally linking their specific business too much with the inevitable glowing (shining) future of solar in general. The new EVC metric has gotten me suspicious, Elon's huge purchases lately has made me a bit more confident again.

I hope the good debate and exchange of ideas can continue without the need for us to label anyone derogatorily even though they might hold the opposite sentiment at the time being.

That said I do believe SCTY as a stock is in a very vulnerable position to be manipulated in the current climate.

Jhm,

what are your thoughts on this added value to distributed solar in California?

In California, a Campaign to Take Transmission Charges Out of Distributed Energy | Greentech Media

This looks pretty profound. Assessing the transmission access charge at the customer level creates little incentive for a utility to prefer local production. Note who the three players are that are Participating Transmission Operators are, the ones who profit most from over utilization of the transmission grid, PG&E, SCE, and SDG&E. These are the big three waging the fight against rooftop solar. Smaller municipal utilities pay TAC on the basis of what the export from the transmission grid, so they are in a better position to value the benefit of distributed solar.

The longer view is that grids should be more localized. So this rule change would help to harness those beneficial economics. All utilities would use the transmission grid less and so it would decline in cost to the overall system.

Very promissing.

How Exporting U.S. Liquefied Natural Gas Will Transform the Politics of Global Energy - The Experts - WSJ

read this and you can see why big players don't want Solarcity (and distributed solar industry) to get in the way.

You can also see why nextera wants to buy Hawaiian utility. The Lng terminals alone are worth the cost of Hawaiian electric so that they have a hub to distribute lng to Asia! However, 100% solar goal is getting in the way, and so is distributed solar.

Warren buffet sees the lng gold mine and has already positioned himself to be pretty much completely vertically integrated in the Lng business and supply chain in the US. cutting lng peaker plants due to distributed solar and batteries definately gets in the way.

So, what is the real deal behind behind anti net metering and anti Distributed solar rhetoric? Not what they're saying at all these commission hearings...

Lets be real... Solar just getting in the way of big plans of a few established monopoly players.

to add, ARizona utiltiy and Nevada utiltiy posted record profits this year(they are supposed to be capped at about 10%, but yet they are making 4x that. weird huh?)... While at the same time saying solar costs shifts will cause retail rates to go up on non solar customers. The monopoly threatening the rent payers with higher rents works every time. Another prime example why we need a competitive market in this world over the terrible influx of monolpoly systems that are inherently bad and distort prices and breed inflation, inefficiencies, and social/economic turmoil.

Last edited:
I've thoroughly enjoyed the back-and-forth in this thread since Benson went ursual.

I've tried to do my own analysis but I'm having a really hard time seeing how/if SCTY's business plan stands on its own legs, without generally linking their specific business too much with the inevitable glowing (shining) future of solar in general. The new EVC metric has gotten me suspicious, Elon's huge purchases lately has made me a bit more confident again.

I hope the good debate and exchange of ideas can continue without the need for us to label anyone derogatorily even though they might hold the opposite sentiment at the time being.

That said I do believe SCTY as a stock is in a very vulnerable position to be manipulated in the current climate.

You bring up a number of interesting points. I couldn't resist responding.

Business Model:
Most people who will take time to review the actual numbers and piece the puzzle together will see that the business model is vulnerable to the impending policy changes. If people are investing based on:
- Solar gotta win, and hence SolarCity will win
- Elon gotta win, and hence SolarCity will win
- Batteries gotta win, and hence SolarCity will win
then sorry, tough luck. In the long run businesses grow through numbers, not hype and hope.

My Position:
I am not a bear, nor I turned bearish. All I have to say is that the probability of success (or failure) at this point is unknown. At this point going long or going short both positions are merely speculative plays in my view. I might have come across as overly bearish because the resident theme here is very bullish and I am countering with data/points on the other side.

To further, in my view two things will be decisive in ensuring outcomes in one direction or the other.

1) California NEM 2.0
Based on this either stock will either spike or plummet. I have no idea which way it will go. Hence I call it speculative to be in the game.

2) SolarCity cost measures
If Lyndon comes out end of this quarter and announces new cost targets and some additional EVC magic, that will do nothing. There is an Abraham Lincoln quote: You can fool some people all of the time or all people some of the time but not all people all of the times.

He has to show some solid progress in *real* numbers, like:
- Sales/Watt
- Opex/Watt
- Incremental NRV/Watt
- Incremental NNRV/Watt
- Cash burn and availability of funds
- Incremental NRV/Share
- Incremental NNRV/Share

If he shows solid progress in these type of numbers, the stock will spike. or else it will plummet. I have no idea which way it will go and hence I call it speculative.

Stock Manipulation
It's hard to tell what stock price means when you don't have conventional metrics. What does a price of $45 mean vs $35? I don't know, nobody knows. But luckily bonds trade around par values. You can tell a lot looking at the bond prices. If we take the 11/19 bond, it traded around par, between 90 and 100 pretty much all the time. Then starting in mid Aug it started a decisive trajectory downward. So we can tell that this entire turmoil really started in mid-August.

I went to SA, looked at all the "Breaking News" from mid Aug. Unfortunately I did not find any pattern. There were a mixture of good news and bad news all over the place. There was nothing concrete that matches the bond trajectory. But there was one thing interesting. The peak nearly matched Chanos' first announcement that he is short SCTY. Umm, is that a smoking gun??

So then I looked at the short interest in SCTY over the same time frame. There was a strong movement upward in August. But it's flat all through the rest. So then again the shorts increasingly shorting is not adding up.

In any case, summary is I couldn't find any patterns.

I would be very hard pressed to believe that manipulation can happen in a stock where there are about 5mil shares a day are being traded.

How Exporting U.S. Liquefied Natural Gas Will Transform the Politics of Global Energy - The Experts - WSJ

read this and you can see why big players don't want Solarcity (and distributed solar industry) to get in the way.

You can also see why nextera wants to buy Hawaiian utility. The Lng terminals alone are worth the cost of Hawaiian electric so that they have a hub to distribute lng to Asia! However, 100% solar goal is getting in the way, and so is distributed solar.

Warren buffet sees the lng gold mine and has already positioned himself to be pretty much completely vertically integrated in the Lng business and supply chain in the US. cutting lng peaker plants due to distributed solar and batteries definately gets in the way.

So, what is the real deal behind behind anti net metering and anti Distributed solar rhetoric? Not what they're saying at all these commission hearings...

Lets be real... Solar just getting in the way of big plans of a few established monopoly players.

to add, ARizona utiltiy and Nevada utiltiy posted record profits this year(they are supposed to be capped at about 10%, but yet they are making 4x that. weird huh?)... While at the same time saying solar costs shifts will cause retail rates to go up on non solar customers. The monopoly threatening the rent payers with higher rents works every time. Another prime example why we need a competitive market in this world over the terrible influx of monolpoly systems that are inherently bad and distort prices and breed inflation, inefficiencies, and social/economic turmoil.

I think LNG is desperate hope for a failing gas industry. Solar and wind are already cheaper than LNG, and batteries will soon round out the package. In the short run, it's fun to fantasize as this author does how LNG could change the geopolitical situation. But this requires massive long-term infrastructure that sucks in huge government subsidies and takes many decades to pay off. Meanwhile, within the next decade wind, solar and batteries all become cheaper than just the natural gas used to make energy, not counting all the big capex and infrastructural costs. This is why Hawaii rejected plans to create LNG infrastructure on the islands. It will become obsolete long before it is paid for. It's too late for LNG.

If Lithuania really wants to put pressure on Gazprom, they should invest heavily in renewables. Why be dependent on the US, Qatar or Russia, when they can power their economy on domestic renewable energy? Why expose their economy to global market prices for oil and LNG? It's an investment both in energy and independence.

I think LNG is desperate hope for a failing gas industry. Solar and wind are already cheaper than LNG, and batteries will soon round out the package. In the short run, it's fun to fantasize as this author does how LNG could change the geopolitical situation. But this requires massive long-term infrastructure that sucks in huge government subsidies and takes many decades to pay off.

I can tell you for sure that they are pushing the living bejesus out of it here in Philadelphia. Talking about turning our Navy Yard in an "energy hub". We also have lots of underutilized refinery space since 2 of our 3 major refineries are setup for light crude that doesn't really exist anymore. With the level of corruption in this city I could easily see them swinging a deal to pipe gas here and liquefy for export.

Tax free extraction from state lands in Pennsylvania, pumped to Philly for export abroad. The folks of PA get exactly nothing while our finite resources are shipped off to Europe and Asia. Central PA may have the single most uninformed voter population in America.

I can tell you for sure that they are pushing the living bejesus out of it here in Philadelphia. Talking about turning our Navy Yard in an "energy hub". We also have lots of underutilized refinery space since 2 of our 3 major refineries are setup for light crude that doesn't really exist anymore. With the level of corruption in this city I could easily see them swinging a deal to pipe gas here and liquefy for export.

Tax free extraction from state lands in Pennsylvania, pumped to Philly for export abroad. The folks of PA get exactly nothing while our finite resources are shipped off to Europe and Asia. Central PA may have the single most uninformed voter population in America.

Awareness seems that much more important to Solarcity brass then ever. Pays dividends to have Lyndon get out on the soap box. Elon too.

Right, producers are desperate to get their product to a market that will pay them more than $2/MMBtu. But what happens as that price drops to $1/MMBtu? The coal industry has been going through this same thing. As domestic demand for coal dries up, they get quite eager to export to international markets. But now even India IA at a place where solar prices imported coal out of the country. LNG will get price out too.

BTW, if anyone is interested in investing in an LNG pure play, look at Cheniere Energy, which has the clever ticker "LNG". It was a fast rising star before the oil bubble popped.

Last edited:
Right, producers are desperate to get their product to a market that will pay them more than $2/MMBtu. But what happens as that price drops to $1/MMBtu? The coal industry has been going through this same thing. As domestic demand for coal dries up, they get quite eager to export to international markets. But now even India IA at a place where solar prices imported coal out of the country. LNG will get price out too.

BTW, if anyone is interested in investing in an LNG pure play, look at Cheniere Energy, which has the clever ticker "LNG". It was a fast rising star before the oil bubble popped.

I gotta think Germany and France would buy all the LNG we could send them.

Status
Not open for further replies.