Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarCity (SCTY)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jhm, you make me engage in irrational exuberance which manifests in my sudden desire to dance a little jig. Thank you. Now if the rest of the market can figure it out we will all make bank on our solar investments.

You our know what, I do not care if I lose every dime as long as what you write comes true.

Ha. I'm listen to Pet Shop Boys right now. Feels good.

Dancing aside, I think the Saudis see this coming. They need to unload Aramco on the stock market to make their exit. The industry as a whole needs a plan to wind down. If producers keep over investing, they will chase a glut all the way into oblivion. So I think industry leaders know this, but they are not ready to go public and watch market caps tumble. So you won't hear this in the financial press either. I wish I knew when the market will figure this. You can't install 122 GW of renewables without it offsetting some amount of fuels. So it's curious that no one is doing the math. So suppose renewables grow by another 30% in 2016 and the fossil glut only worsens. Will investors get it then? Right now, the industry is scapegoating China for declining demand, which raises the spectre of some sort of global recession. But China is the biggest installer of solar and a big producer of electric vehicles, meanwhile it is dialing back its coal industry and coal imports. China is beginning its energy transformation, and they will be harnessing their manufacturing prowess to pull it off. Making these investments today will pay off dividends for decades. Perhaps this does not drive its economy the way heavy exporting does, but it will kick in and sharply reduce energy imports. So is soft demand for energy in China really the state of its general economy or is it that China has set out to manufacture it's own renewable energy supply chain? So weak demand in Asia is just the cover story to avoid recognizing the impact of of renewable energy.

This is critical for solar investors to understand. The fossil industry has all sorts of denial mechanisms to systematically underestimate solar energy. Solar Stocks will be subject to all sorts of negative sentiment and rabid shorting. Not also that withing the renewables sector, distributed solar is the fastest growing component. Distributed solar has the ability to grow like bunny rabbits across the Outback. This disrupts the utilities which are very much part of the fossil fuel industry. So all this is especially worrisome to the fossil elites. They can't control distributed solar as they can utility solar or wind. So as an investor I simply take heart in this larger perspective. So long as solar and batteries keep getting cheaper, renewable energy is inevitable. We just wring our hands about the timing. It's important for SolarCity to have a diversity of markets that it grows. Any one of them, like Nevada, can get derailed, but there is opportunity to grow in many other places. So just do it. Right now I see commercial solar as SolarCity's biggest growth opportunity. To wit, SolarCity is going to do the world's largest solar roof in Nevada. But in many other places, SolarCity is getting major contracts and has the efficient installing practice and demand charge defeating Powerpacks to do it right. Utilities are going to get their demand charges served to them. When SolarCity gets enough penetration into the commercial segment, the utilities are going to have to rewrite their commercial rate plans. It's going to be much harder for utilities to push around commercial ratepayers the way they do with residential. Industrial ratepayers are even harder to push around, which is the average rate for industrial is like 6 c/kWh, but 11 and 13 c/kWh for commercial and residential. Industrial ratepayers get power a quite close to wholesale prices because industrial business have a lot of options and can build out their own power system if they're not getting a favorable deal from the utility. So solar plus Powerpacks is putting comparable tools in the hands of commercial ratepayers. They will be able to play the same sort of options as industrial companies and so will command lower rates. This is also true of residential ratepayers armed with solar and Powerwalls. But still scale advantages go to commercial over residential. So in the broader strategy, SolarCity can press harder with commercial and soften up the utilities. Thinks like aggregated batteries may well fly in commercial space before utilities are ready to venture it in residential. I believe the technology will scale, but getting through policy barriers may prove more direct with commercial.

I digress, but my point is that renewables will find a way. Technology will keep knocking down barriers and prices will keep coming down. So I'm not going to worry about the obstructionists. They are simply getting further behind with every delay they ompose. Rather I want to keep my focus on where growth can happen right now and keep pushing to grow renewables faster than 30%. Five more years of just doing that, and the edifices of the fossil industries start coming down.

Jhm, you make me engage in irrational exuberance which manifests in my sudden desire to dance a little jig. Thank you. Now if the rest of the market can figure it out we will all make bank on our solar investments.

You our know what, I do not care if I lose every dime as long as what you write comes true.

I wouldn't go quite that far, but I mostly agree. JHM, I think you need to do a TED style video presentation of your ideas with lots of charts and graphs and numbers. :biggrin:

Recently saw an RFP response for residential rooftop solar in southeast PA come in at $2.75/$2.85 per Watt. It's game over for sure now and only a matter of 9-24 months until we trim another $.50 in soft costs. 2016 is gonna be a great year.

Started a Saudi Aramco selloff thread in the energy forum and was a bit surprised people didn't see that as an event on par with some of the major turns in world history. Biggest writing on the wall since........

Local super high quality installer for LG or Sunrun panels as part of a negotiated group rate. Probably clearing minimal profit, these guys want marketshare and more importantly are focused on just getting solar up and running in PA. We're about 4 years behind even New Jersey. Wide open market.

New Governor announced "ambitious climate plan" yesterday, but haven't read it yet to see if there's funding for a state rebate. On the beach one more day then headed back to the snowpacalypse, I'll read it while stuck in the house.

Thanks. What you posted is big bad negative for SCTY actually. Per jhm's credible math, SolarCity prices their systems at about $4.26/watt or thereabouts. With the kind of pricing/competition you are talking about from local installers, SolarCity can't even dare to put a foot in the market.

SolarCity's cost of capital, even the asset-backed ones, is more expensive than a typical homeowner taking a home-equity loan or folding into the existing mortgage through refinancing... It gets lots worse when we look at SolarCity cost of capital with non-asset-backed financing is involved(hopefully the need for this will go away once they get to cash-flow-neutral state).

In any case, homeowners are lot better off buying their systems outright from local installers, at least to the extent that you are seeing.

Minnesota approves Solarcity's 100MW community solar project.

Minnesota regulators approve states largest solar project | Midwest Energy News

Also, I've been tracking Solarcity winning about 20MW of commercial/utility level installs in New York in the last 2 weeks alone...

All of the small scale utility that SolarCity has been winning recently is very encouraging. I wonder if it has anything to do with Riverbend scaling up or if it is unrelated. I wish I had better insight on where the panels from Riverbend will be allocated. I believe that on rooftops they are mounted in an east-west fashion to take full advantage of there by facial nature. I'm curious if it will be used in these larger projects order cost savings will truly shine with limited rooftop space.

Thanks. What you posted is big bad negative for SCTY actually. Per jhm's credible math, SolarCity prices their systems at about $4.26/watt or thereabouts. With the kind of pricing/competition you are talking about from local installers, SolarCity can't even dare to put a foot in the market.

I wish. SolarCity quoted me different systems all at $5.10/W. I'm in the Bay Area though, so things are generally more expensive.

Has anyone else read this yet? It backs up what's been talked about in here on the storage situation and timeline.

How Much Does Storage Really Cost? Lazard Weighs In.

So what did Lazard find? Of all the permutations analyzed, only one—lithium-ion batteries providing frequency regulation to the grid—was cost effective when performing a single, unstacked service today. The study also predicts that seven combinations (all of them with batteries) will be cost effective within five years.

Bizarre movement today. Only logical reason I can think of is investors are spooked overall and bots were in control today. When Oil spiked, bots sold solar stocks to buy oil stocks? If it re-tests $28, I'm planning to triple my position. Options traders, big oil, and MM are playing games with Solar stocks.

The comment from Axiom about SolarCity barely makes sense. There is a 0% chance Califrnia would allow a decision anything like the BS in Nevada. Also, Nevada will be legally forced to undo the idiotic decision. Didn't Elon meet with the FTC yesterday?

Last edited:
Could be as simple it readjusting to the bollinger band.

I think you're partially right. If you are right, a huge move to the upside is right around he corner. Volatility (Standard Deviations) work both ways.

Either Nevada PUC will redo the math and make the right decision or political pressure will force them to. The situation in Nevada kind of reminds me of the way the market afted when states tried to prevent Tesla from selling vehicles directly. Public uproar forced some states to change their minds.

In a way, pissing off 15,000 solar customers is a great way for the utility to get the media to yell at individuals and states opposed to solar, resulting in more demand for Solar in other states. Also, if be surprised if many of those people leave Nevada due to this.

Last edited:
Has anyone else read this yet? It backs up what's been talked about in here on the storage situation and timeline. How Much Does Storage Really Cost? Lazard Weighs In.
I've always said this about Tesla as well, but, Solarcity is doing the cutting edge studies/research themselves. The Lazard study comes short of critical answers because they can't do the business modeling like Solarcity can. They are doing it right now in California. They are also doing it in New York. They are in he midst of pilot programs that will prove out the "stacks" of value storage brings.We'll find out soon this year all about it. Aggregation is happening as I write this. And Solarcity is right in the middle setting the standard for interoperability as well.

Excellent audio. You might make some comments at the end of the article just in case Nevada PUC is reading.

Also:

SAN MATEO, Calif., Jan. 21, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- SolarCity Corp. (NASDAQ: SCTY) completed its first securitization of distributed solar loan assets earlier today; the company's fifth securitization transaction to date. SolarCity completed a private placement in the amount of $185 million—$2.89 per watt of generation capacity in the portfolio—with a blended coupon interest rate of 5.17 percent and a blended yield rate of 5.81 percent. The anticipated repayment date is March 2022.
The Class A Notes for SolarCity's pool of solar loan contracts received an investment grade rating of BBB from Standard & Poor's and Kroll Bond Rating Agency. The rating reflects the predictability and quality of the cash flows and the minimal operation and production risk of solar assets. With this transaction, solar loan assets were able to achieve an investment grade rating in the asset-backed securities markets for the first time.
Credit Suisse acted as sole structuring agent and sole bookrunner for the transaction.

Has anyone else read this yet? It backs up what's been talked about in here on the storage situation and timeline.

How Much Does Storage Really Cost? Lazard Weighs In.

Lazard has a bias against solar. They put up levelized cost estimates that are well above existing PPAs and other actual offers solar. This simply proves that they are making different assumptions than those who actually build and market these systems. So I would not trust them to get battery assumptions right either.

The key to batteries is to integrate them into other energy systems for maximal effect. Free standing batteries is a dumb idea. Batteries are more about adding capacity, flexibility and reliability than delivering kWh. So the concept of a levelized cost of storage per kWh is too limited to capture the full value. For example, the value of shaving peak demand charges has little to do with the cost per kWh. It's the savings per kW reduction in demand charges. Whether that peak kW shaved required just 1 kWh in a month or 60 kWh in a month makes little difference. In either case, a power Powerwall at a cost of $30/month could help you avoid about 2 kW or $40/month here in GA. So the net benefit is $10/month. The levelized cost of storage is pretty much irrelevant to this net benefit, and yet that same battery could also be storing surplus solar with a 2c/kWh feed in tariff, and using it to offset buying power at 12 c/kWh . The net 10c/kWh maybe adds another $10/month in net benefits after peak shaving pays for the battery. Even here the idea of levelized cost misses the point. The total monthly benefit is about $50 and cost $30.

Another key point is that a battery need not be a fixed cost. It really may be best to lease a battery for short periods of time. Suppose you put up a 8kW solar system and are unsure if one or two Powerwalls would be optimal for your specific situation. Suppose you have a battery lease that let's you cancel at anytime for a small fee. So you put up 2 Powerwalls and monitor performance. Suppose after a year you found that the level of use and benefit was sufficient to keep one but not two. So you have SolarCity take the second one. They put it reinstall it somewhere else where it could create more value than at your home. The small removal fee just covers the cost of removal for SolarCity. So SolarCity loses no value in this exchange, and it has two customers who are happily optimizing their net benefits. This sort of flexibility is particularly helpful for dealing with rate plan changes. For example, if you began with high demand charges, and the utility reduces the rate on demand charges, you may not need so much battery any more. There really is no need to sit on an underutilized battery. And this redeployability is fairly unique among energy assets.

Status
Not open for further replies.