TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

SolarCity (SCTY)

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by Curt Renz, Mar 24, 2014.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doggusfluffy

doggusfluffy Closed

Solar providers look to storage technology to boost industry
    First Solar Beats Earnings, Misses Revenue and Accelerates Move to Series 6 Module

• Like x 1
  2. doggusfluffy

doggusfluffy Closed

Tesla merger bid for SolarCity wins key support - The Buffalo News
    Tucson Electric puts huge solar, wind projects out to bid

3. doggusfluffy

doggusfluffy Closed

Florida voters say no to misleading solar amendment

• Like x 1
  4. Lessmog

Lessmog Supporting Member

Lyndon Rive comments:

5. Johan

Johan Funds for M3 secured. Contingent on wife aproval.

Could it be that the move for TSLA to aquire SCTY springs from an early premonition of Tesla's and Elon's part that in fact the probability of Trump winning the election has actully been much bigger than many thought. I.e. because of biased media reporting leading up to the election we didn't get a true picture of what was going on in the US. But that Elon and co. could see thing for what they were and were compelled to protect the SCTY business, which would have been extremely vulnerable at the current stage standing on it's own legs without ITC, which not unlikely will be stepped down or removed under a Trump reign with a Republican senate?

• Informative x 1
  6. Lessmog

Lessmog Supporting Member

Nah, Elon is all about basic physical principles. I doubt any metaphysics. Business no-brainer, he said. Occam's toothbrush?

Not to deny he/they could have sensed a danger in the American public ethos via media drama and hedged accordingly, but that would be secondary.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  7. Ulmo

Ulmo Active Member

Lyndon Rive said "We’ll be releasing the number of Q3 on Wednesday -- next week Wednesday." That's today.

8. RDoc

RDoc S85D

I'm not a stockholder in either Tesla or Solar City, but I do think Trump's election is a huge threat to both companies and any others who rely on subsidies and favorable treatment for environmental projects. Militant disbelief in global warming and environmental threats in general are one area the Trump and the Republican Congressional majority strongly agree on.

To me, Tesla seems like it's in decent shape to weather the storm but Solar City seems likely to be roadkill.

9. TheTalkingMule

TheTalkingMule Distributed Energy Enthusiast

trump doesn't align himself with establishment interests, that's his one defining characteristic. His world is based on hatred toward folks like "New York elites" which to him likely includes the Koch brothers and Buffets of the world. I don't see attacking renewables or EVs being high on his agenda since deficit reduction does not even appear on his agenda. The only reason Trump brought up Telsa or Solyndra was he knew what would easily gain traction in an election.

I think the ITC and Obamacare will go untouched......though I find trust wavering in my prognostications these days.

10. Rarity

Rarity Supporting Member

Did Trump ever bring up Tesla?

11. SBenson

SBenson Active Member

#7031 SBenson, Nov 9, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
    Mule, you are always fun to have a chat with...

It's kind of ironic, Trump is actually one of the "NY elites". A successful billionaire who lived all his life in NYC. He literally has a gold plated penthouse in NYC. For what ever reason he simply doesn't get along very well with other billionaires. Just very weird. My thinking is that he is too much of a ego manic to get along with anyone.

He might not touch clean energy except for letting whatever subsidies expire on their own schedule. But I believe he will de-regulate (or even subsidize further) fossil fuels dramatically, which lower their costs and make them more competitive with clean energy. That's the real risk for clean energy. But if Musk is able to do what he says he wants to do, like build machines that build machines etc, TSLA/SCTY might still be able to compete with de-regulated fossil fuels. However, the fight just got lot tougher.

12. doggusfluffy

doggusfluffy Closed

I guess we'll have to see how much was campaign rhetoric, but I'm not very optimistic.
    Solar, wind companies see stocks fall after Trump win

13. TheTalkingMule

TheTalkingMule Distributed Energy Enthusiast

Frontline once again did by far the best pieces on the candidates and was very illuminating. Trump essentially got dropped off at military boarding school at 12 likely after 11 years of being ignored. His world is about righting the wrongs done to him, not about let's say......protecting coal/railroad investments.

He might attempt to deregulate, but it's not an area I would see him expending a lot of effort and political capital. Someone like Romney or Cheney would be far worse for solar's interests. Think about the headwinds in places like Nevada. How could it possibly be any worse now than it was last year when the utility dictated policy absolutely?

I'm not an expert, but isn't true deregulation a boon for solar/wind?

It's also far easier to add renewables jobs than to somehow rejuvenate the coal industry. If you have no dog in the race, why not appease the masses in the easiest way possible?

We shall see. My concerns are much more about what's done with the nuclear codes.

• Informative x 1
  14. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

I suspect he will bring back coal with blocking imports of steel. IIRC most recent coal failure was because demand for steel crashed. Nat gas is just too competitive to make coal economical for generating electricity.

15. Turing

Turing Member

Much like the myth of bringing back those good old manufacturing jobs, isn't a big reason for the loss of coal jobs, not just the decline of coal due to fracking and nat gas but also coal production becoming more automated and requiring less workers per ton of output?

• Like x 2
  16. SBenson

SBenson Active Member

Q3 data is out.

The best way to look at SCTY financials is to aggregate
    - change in debt
    - change in NPV of the contracts (excluding renewal)
    - change in cash.

If you put it all together, SCTY burnt another $43mln cash in Q3 (out of the existing portfolio).

If you net out Capex, R&D, it's still a negative figure.

• Informative x 1
  17. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Nut & Bolts from 3Q results:

Letter states that SCTY expects to have a full-year install of 900MW, which means they're planning on installing a full 300MW in this final quarter. That's a huge increase from 3Q's 187MW, and handsomely greater than the prior record quarter - 4Q15 - with 272MW

• Informative x 2
  18. tftf

tftf Member

• Disagree x 3
    • Funny x 1
  19. tander

tander Active Member

I hope that was enough to get a few upgrades out of it. Wonder if this will quell the bankruptcy assertions?

20. schonelucht

schonelucht Active Member

Did you include changes in inventories, prepaid expenses and accounts payable/receivable as well? From an asset point of view (negative is bad) I get respectively $-23M, +$17M, $-39M and $+2M.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.