Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solution to charge your Model 3 if you don't have any garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I'm driving by and have the time, I'll plug in for 20 minutes or so and check my email while typically no-one else is at the 8 bay station.
I did that a few times and then realized that sitting in my car dinking with my phone was right up there with watching paint dry on my list of ways to use my free time. I drive right past, now. But whatever floats your boat. (I do think they should put one of these at the Superchargers though, to dramatize what kind of hourly wage you're getting for sitting there: Blake Fall-Conroy)

There should be some TMC law of nature, up there with every firmware update thread eventually turns into speculation about regen, that every charging thread eventually turns into people arguing about what is, and isn't allowed/ethical/whatever with Superchargers.

Even Elon says it is cool to do that occasionally. (yes, he said occasionally but for some that may mean once every other week, 7%, for others that may mean 1 per year - either way, they are being cool) and there still are NO legal restrictions.

Now we've boiled it down and I agree with you. There are many things in life that are perfectly legally but are not being a good neighbour, or are not moral, or are unethical. I don't use the "NO legal restrictions" as my standard in life as to what is acceptable. But I realize many people, you included, do.

For this very reason, "free" supercharging for a mass market vehicle won't work, in my opinion. Many people just don't care if they have charging at home about taking up a spot at a local supercharger on a regular basis, such as twice a month, since that fits with their definition of "occasionally" but even if it doesn't it's not illegal, so who cares? Right?

I'm also of the view that Tesla must have the same opinion as me or they would have announced otherwise. It makes no sense that free supercharging would be their intention but they are keeping it secret. Why would they do that when announcing it would increase orders? Despite all the push back and "dislikes" I get, no one will answer this one simple question, that I have repeatedly asked.

Last edited:
Maybe they're seeing the points and counterpoints on this forum to help them decide if future supercharging should be free or not.

I doubt the comments here will make any difference but I do wonder if Tesla even knows how supercharging will be dealt with on the Model 3. The fact that their marketing materials have changed three times since they said the Model 3 will be supercharging capable does seem to suggest that they are playing it by ear for now at least. It's not coming out for nearly two years and perhaps Tesla wants to see how the next two summer driving seasons play out at superchargers before deciding what to do. I'm planning a trip myself down the west coast, at peak summer holiday driving times, and I'm interested in seeing first hand how busy, or not, the superchargers will be during my trip.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
Now we've boiled it down and I agree with you. There are many things in life that are perfectly legally but are not being a good neighbour, or are not moral, or are unethical. I don't use the "NO legal restrictions" as my standard in life as to what is acceptable. But I realize many people, you included, do.

For this very reason, "free" supercharging for a mass market vehicle won't work, in my opinion. Many people just don't care if they have charging at home about taking up a spot at a local supercharger on a regular basis, such as twice a month, since that fits with their definition of "occasionally" but even if it doesn't it's not illegal, so who cares? Right?

I'm also of the view that Tesla must have the same opinion as me or they would have announced otherwise. It makes no sense that free supercharging would be their intention but they are keeping it secret. Why would they do that when announcing it would increase orders? Despite all the push back and "dislikes" I get, no one will answer this one simple question, that I have repeatedly asked.

ohhh, a personal attack, how cute. You know nothing about my standards in life and what I find acceptable and whether I live by only legal restrictions vs. moral or ethical beliefs.
And yet, you claim you do and finger point at others without any actual information.
How special!
Aren't you the one earlier complaining about ad hominem attacks?

Remember you are in a thread about people who don't have a garage, yet you still add "Many people just don't care if they have charging at home..." LOL.

As for your question:
- If they had decided "Yes", they would announce now or soon to pump up the volume (which may or may not actually have an impact if a vast majority thought it already did)
- If they decided "no", then there is no reason to announce that until they have something else "good" to announce since they may be concerned that many people assumed "yes" might cancel orders. There is no upside, only possible downside.
- If they don't have a decision and are looking at alternatives (pay as you go, limits, quadruple the number of superchargers etc), there is no reason to announce that now since again, some people who assumed "yes" might get second thoughts. Again, there is no upside, only possible downside.

IIRC correctly, they claimed they aren't worried until around 1M cars are on the road, if that is true, all of this is way premature and they are looking at alternatives to hedge their bets if that happens faster than their supercharger expansion happens.

Reactions: callmesam
ohhh, a personal attack, how cute. You know nothing about my standards in life and what I find acceptable and whether I live by only legal restrictions vs. moral or ethical beliefs.

Nothing is ad hominem. I quoted exactly what you said about "NO legal restrictions" and told you why I disagree with that position. If it is not your position, I don't see why you would you state it as such? I didn't call you the "police" or ask "WTF are you doing" to promote EV's. Those are ad hominem. They had nothing to do with the issues at hand but were personal attacks you made against me. I quoted your own words and took issue with them. There's nothing ad hominem in that.

Remember you are in a thread about people who don't have a garage, yet you still add "Many people just don't care if they have charging at home..." LOL.

No, this is a thread about someone without a garage wondering about running a conduct under the ground like in the picture he posted. Go back and read the first post if you don't believe me.

As for your question:

So basically you're agreeing with me that they are "hedging their bets" which must mean it is at least a potential issue for them. I thought your view was that locals charging at superchargers was no issue at all?

Nothing is ad hominem. I quoted exactly what you said about "NO legal restrictions" and told you why I disagree with that position.

You claimed I live my life only based on legal restrictions and not on any moral or ethical basis.
That is an ad hominem attack.

No, this is a thread about someone without a garage wondering about running a conduct under the ground like in the picture he posted

Irrelevant to your point that "Many people just don't care if they have charging at home..." So why do you keep bringing that issue up in a thread about someone who has charging at home?

So basically you're agreeing with me that they are "hedging their bets" which must mean it is at least a potential issue for them. I thought your view was that locals charging at superchargers was no issue at all?

I don't know why they are hedging their bets. It could very well be that they want to do it for economic reasons - get more money per vehicle.

If Tesla thought local charging was a big enough issue in the scheme of things, they are smart enough to change the rules for people buying new cars today.

You claimed I live my life only based on legal restrictions and not on any moral or ethical basis.
That is an ad hominem attack.

I didn't claim that. You said that. If you don't believe what you say, then why post there are: "NO legal restrictions"? I don't think it was sarcasm.

Irrelevant to your point that "Many people just don't care if they have charging at home..." So why do you keep bringing that issue up in a thread about someone who has charging at home?

Many people just don't care if they have charging at home about taking up a spot at a local supercharger on a regular basis, such as twice a month, since that fits with their definition of "occasionally" but even if it doesn't it's not illegal, so who cares? Right?

Give it a break. You know this was sarcasm! Notice the "Right?" at the end that you conveniently edit out. I don't think it's many people but I do think it's large enough number for Tesla to be concerned about.

If Tesla thought local charging was a big enough issue in the scheme of things, they are smart enough to change the rules for people buying new cars today.

I can't keep going in circles with you. It's not an issue, then their hedging their bets, then it's not an issue again because they are not doing it now. I've said before, the number of S and X's on the road do not compare to what's coming!

I need to get some work done and this is no longer fun. Have a good day!

Please show us the document you are reading from.

Please show me a document that says - The only people who supercharge are Long Distance drivers. Then show me how far Long Distance is. 50 miles? 100 miles? Across state lines?

You missed the next line.
"This is exactly what superchargers are for. To charge your car."

I never said it was only for LD drivers. SD is to charge your car. LD, SD, 1 mile/day 500 miles/day. There are no restrictions.

I don't see why this would be controversial at all.

This is exactly what superchargers are for. To charge your car.

I can see both sides of it, but I can see the controversy potential as well. Tesla funding local commercial operators (Uber, taxi, etc). I understand the "get more EVs on the streets to save polar bears" part, but there are also obvious gaps in the SC network, and construction has slowed down compared to the 2016 map. Is it related to funding?

Unfortunately, EM/Tesla send mixed messages on this topic. That can't be denied.

Please show us the document you are reading from.

Please show me a document that says - The only people who supercharge are Long Distance drivers. Then show me how far Long Distance is. 50 miles? 100 miles? Across state lines?

Garlan, please re-read my posts before going off on me. That line you quoted?.. that was me saying that the L2 and L3 chargers at a shopping mall near me are meant for charging while you shop/eat. Those are not superchargers. Then I went on to say that *I* would view superchargers differently until there are more of them. That doesn't mean someone can't charge locally. That doesn't mean I said it's only for long-distance travel. I said that *I* would treat them differently, meaning that *I* would not abuse the local superchargers out of respect to people who need them for travel. Superchargers were advertised by Tesla as enabling long distance travel, but they never said that was the only use. Please calm down with your ranting and read more carefully.

I didn't claim that. You said that. If you don't believe what you say, then why post there are: "NO legal restrictions"? .

I said there are no legal restrictions. (I said nothing of how I personally balance ethical, moral and legal issues)

You agreed with that statement. "Now we've boiled it down and I agree with you"

You then turned that into an attack asserting that I don't make decisions based on ethical or moral grounds.

You claim some high moral ground while attacking someone for what you imagine is how they make decisions (irony police beware!)

You really need to stop while you are behind.

I can see both sides of it, but I can see the controversy potential as well. Tesla funding local commercial operators (Uber, taxi, etc). I understand the "get more EVs on the streets to save polar bears" part, but there are also obvious gaps in the SC network, and construction has slowed down compared to the 2016 map. Is it related to funding?

Unfortunately, EM/Tesla send mixed messages on this topic. That can't be denied.

It is an interesting point since not only do the taxi-EV vehicles save the polar bears by having fewer ICE vehicle miles driven, but I expect that it also does a heck of a lot for promoting the EV cause, showcasing the car, possibly getting more people to seriously consider the car thus saving even more polar bears. But they require a local SC to make them useful for the entire day.

Besides funding issues, I am not sure what would cause such a slow down. Aren't they at or ahead of their sales targets?

Garlan, please re-read my posts before going off on me. That line you quoted?.. that was me saying that the L2 and L3 chargers at a shopping mall near me are meant for charging while you shop/eat. Those are not superchargers. Then I went on to say that *I* would view superchargers differently until there are more of them. That doesn't mean someone can't charge locally. That doesn't mean I said it's only for long-distance travel. I said that *I* would treat them differently, meaning that *I* would not abuse the local superchargers out of respect to people who need them for travel. Superchargers were advertised by Tesla as enabling long distance travel, but they never said that was the only use. Please calm down with your ranting and read more carefully.

Fair Enough