Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solved: wind noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m starting off with some tape to isolate it to specific problem spots as I hope to retain autofold (it’s nice for getting into my narrow garage). Waiting for an update to finish and then I’m going to go out and hopefully zero in on it.
Well, that was not it. I ended up taping up the entire mirror bit by bit and the noise is still there. However, I again confirmed that repositioning the mirror slightly by tilting the entire enclosure forward by just a few degrees immediately eliminates the noise. It must be where the mirror is deflecting air when positioned normally rather than the mirror assembly itself.

I am redoing the A pillar gaps with the ebay sunroof elastic tubing. One side is fine that it grabs both end perfect, but another side cannot grab the tubing near the mirror (bottom picture)

fillinggapcfe8d6f0b67cb16c.jpg

All,

For reference, I have blocked the A pillar entrance like above and that has made a world of difference; however, I am still getting that above the ear wind noise which apparent at about 75mph + that is subtle, but can be described as almost like cross wind sound (despite no breeze or crosswinds). To me, it really sounds like it is coming from that window channel from the A pillar to the B pillar.

I have attached a P strip to the U like channel in the OEM molding which has helped a little, but the sound is still there when I tested it this AM. I am now looking into the exterior triangle like many of you, but specifically the purchase from the top rubber to the door seal. There is a loose gap in the door seal in which I am looking to plug at this point of contact - a potential wind stream which would run up the door seal channel.

Anyway, this is definitely an exercise!

Hope all is well,

AP

bhjjf6W.jpg

DI4Fr0h.jpg
EQBP62G.jpg

Reactions: KenC
View attachment 550509

Whistling noise from mirror

This guy also noted wind noise from his mirror. I applied the same neophrene tubing to the mirror tonight (set autofold off), let see if this works..

Guys today I drove 250kms with above applied solution to my mirrors. I can say that all annoying wind noise from window/above ear is practically gone! Only disadvantage is for now I have no auto-fold mirrors anymore :)

Regarding the road noise I am still waiting for my order from AliX.

Very happy :)

Reactions: asian_xl
Long trip in my 2020 M3 over the weekend, and my A-pillar wind noise seems to be pretty much gone. I had put in Suma side mirrors, and as part of accessing the wiring to do so, I noticed holes and gaps where the fender comes together with the firewall. I'd stuffed some foam up in there to see if it made a difference. It did.

Reactions: KenC and XLR82XS
Long trip in my 2020 M3 over the weekend, and my A-pillar wind noise seems to be pretty much gone. I had put in Suma side mirrors, and as part of accessing the wiring to do so, I noticed holes and gaps where the fender comes together with the firewall. I'd stuffed some foam up in there to see if it made a difference. It did.

Awesome! Please share some pics on where you're referencing?

As for me, Im almost resigned to thinking design flaw with respect to the slight wind buffeting at the drivers ear above 70+mph after the plugging of the A pillar at the hood hack. Ive plugged the hollow drivers side trim at the from of the door, expanded the seal around the door trim to purchase better on the glass, covered the window seal at the mirror level where it could be opened.

I feel like rObbb mentioned above in that since I can hear this mostly symmetrical, that the mirrors probably have something to do with this issue. In addition, I will also evaluate the way my window seats with respect to front to back positioning and its angle, top to bottom which is off. These will be my last few experiments and then I'm going to make peace with the buffeting wind noise!!!

I pray someone comes up with something I haven't thought about and its a winner!

Hope everyone is well,

AP

It's pretty hard to get a picture, because I'd have to take off the wheel and the liner again. But once you do, look back toward the door. There is an area about 5" wide (tapered at the ends, obviously) and as tall as the door. Literally all I did was take some old acoustic foam that I'm not using, cut a piece about 5" wide and a little shorter than the door, and stuffed it back in there.

My guess is that above certain speeds, there's a lot of vacuum that gets formed under the hood and inside the fenders. That may start sucking wind in through higher-pressure areas, including any little gaps in the trim on the door pillars.

• Informative
It's pretty hard to get a picture, because I'd have to take off the wheel and the liner again. But once you do, look back toward the door. There is an area about 5" wide (tapered at the ends, obviously) and as tall as the door. Literally all I did was take some old acoustic foam that I'm not using, cut a piece about 5" wide and a little shorter than the door, and stuffed it back in there.

My guess is that above certain speeds, there's a lot of vacuum that gets formed under the hood and inside the fenders. That may start sucking wind in through higher-pressure areas, including any little gaps in the trim on the door pillars.

Thanks man,
No worries on the pic, just trying to get an idea of where we are talking...Do you have to take off the wheel, or can you access it by turning the wheel maximum and taking off the liner there?

AP

All,

For reference, I have blocked the A pillar entrance like above and that has made a world of difference; however, I am still getting that above the ear wind noise which apparent at about 75mph + that is subtle, but can be described as almost like cross wind sound (despite no breeze or crosswinds). To me, it really sounds like it is coming from that window channel from the A pillar to the B pillar.

I have attached a P strip to the U like channel in the OEM molding which has helped a little, but the sound is still there when I tested it this AM. I am now looking into the exterior triangle like many of you, but specifically the purchase from the top rubber to the door seal. There is a loose gap in the door seal in which I am looking to plug at this point of contact - a potential wind stream which would run up the door seal channel.

Anyway, this is definitely an exercise!

Hope all is well,

AP

bhjjf6W.jpg

DI4Fr0h.jpg
EQBP62G.jpg
Did this work? Did this reduce the wind noise? I hear wind noise coming from the top of the windows. I tried the credit card trick inside the car mentioned earlier on all door seals and the card didnt fall but felt a bit loose on the windows towards the b pillar. I found this offered on Amazon and willing to try it if it worked or not: https://www.amazon.com/Support-Wind...Weatherstrip+Seal+Strip&qid=1592251871&sr=8-1

Azgood,

I didn't notice much of a difference with the first two pictures on putting that P trim into the open channel of the OEM trim (i.e. first two pictures). This, along with blocking of the A - Pillar rules out the A pillar and the OEM rubber window seal as the source for me.

As for the triangle, I have not tackled that yet - maybe this Wednesday. Also, I have experimented with the little openings on the metal trim (the one which is chrome and folks wrap with the "chrome delete") where it originates at the A pillar/mirror and plugging those holes made little difference.

So my last thoughts are like others have posted - could the buffeting wind noise be from the mirrors and we "hear" it at the driver's ear? or could it be from the angle of the window where it meets the B pillar outside plastic casing over the camera? I have noticed that the bottom of my window is flush with the B pillar casing and the top is recessed suggesting the window leans too far inward at the top; this would create a natural catch for the wind to get caught in the B pillar and buffet, potentially.

So...
- Optimize the purchase of the triangle
- Try to fill the gap in the folding mirror like others before (consequence - preventing it from folding)
- Re adjust the front to back, top to bottom positioning of the drivers window to be in line with the B pillar casing

I wish I could just accept this wind noise nuisance! I enjoy driving in silence on my commutes, so couple that with being overly neurotic about optimizing everything makes for a disaster, especially if its a non fixable design issue :). Aside from my creaking sunroof, my RS3 was super quiet after that 5 pot was put in comfort mode....I sure miss that ambience...

AP

Azgood,

I didn't notice much of a difference with the first two pictures on putting that P trim into the open channel of the OEM trim (i.e. first two pictures). This, along with blocking of the A - Pillar rules out the A pillar and the OEM rubber window seal as the source for me.

As for the triangle, I have not tackled that yet - maybe this Wednesday. Also, I have experimented with the little openings on the metal trim (the one which is chrome and folks wrap with the "chrome delete") where it originates at the A pillar/mirror and plugging those holes made little difference.

So my last thoughts are like others have posted - could the buffeting wind noise be from the mirrors and we "hear" it at the driver's ear? or could it be from the angle of the window where it meets the B pillar outside plastic casing over the camera? I have noticed that the bottom of my window is flush with the B pillar casing and the top is recessed suggesting the window leans too far inward at the top; this would create a natural catch for the wind to get caught in the B pillar and buffet, potentially.

So...
- Optimize the purchase of the triangle
- Try to fill the gap in the folding mirror like others before (consequence - preventing it from folding)
- Re adjust the front to back, top to bottom positioning of the drivers window to be in line with the B pillar casing

I wish I could just accept this wind noise nuisance! I enjoy driving in silence on my commutes, so couple that with being overly neurotic about optimizing everything makes for a disaster, especially if its a non fixable design issue :). Aside from my creaking sunroof, my RS3 was super quiet after that 5 pot was put in comfort mode....I sure miss that ambience...

AP
Oh darn. Thanks for trying. The wind noise is annoying.

Just thought I show you guys another idea how to block wind noise. If you go to 16:58 in this youtube video, he indicates about putting foam underneath the fender and A pillar BUT by going up the wheel well. Indicated the SC did put foam but it fell. I am going to have my tires rotated today and will talk to my mechanic of removing the wheel well so I can put either a piece of sponge or if available foam up the wheel well.

Go to 16:58 of the video. He has a few others about interesting spots for rattles and noise:

• Informative
Awesome! Please share some pics on where you're referencing?

OK, hopefully this picture tells enough of a story. This is taken from right next to the passenger side front wheel, looking toward the back of the car. My hand is holding the fender liner out of the way.

This is not great foam: it's made for indoor use, it is open-cell. But I think it is enough to block the suction from the under-hood area from pulling in air through the A-pillar to that area.

Attachments

• IMG_0387.jpeg
    IMG_0387.jpeg
    223.8 KB · Views: 442
Reactions: PNWLeccy
OK, hopefully this picture tells enough of a story. This is taken from right next to the passenger side front wheel, looking toward the back of the car. My hand is holding the fender liner out of the way.

This is not great foam: it's made for indoor use, it is open-cell. But I think it is enough to block the suction from the under-hood area from pulling in air through the A-pillar to that area.
Looking forward to the results - I think i'll pick up some closed cell foam or something like that to stick up there if this does the trick for you.

Hey guys. I tried out putting the sponge between the fender and A pillar located underneath the wheel well as well as under the A pillar and fender from the door and it worked SUPER WELL! I've posted up some helpful pictures and information about it on imgur. Credited the youtuber for the location, and TED on page 1 for providing me the idea of the Neoprene tubing between the A pillar and fender (havent done just yet).

Enjoy!: Tried a different approach to wind reduction in my Tesla Model 3 which works! Credit to youtuber jjcentral, https://youtu.be/KViBBuHGUgQ?t=1017, time stamp 16:57, and this forum on https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/solved-wind-noise.177619/.