Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some 2022 Model Ys shipping with MCU3 (AMD Ryzen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
VINs are not sequential, don't place too much emphasis - it's Tesla's way to hide the numbers of cars sold during a QTR. Build date has more meaning than VIN.
I know we have discussed this before, but this makes no sense to me. It is not like VINs are randomly going back and forth. There are typically within 10k range. I don't know why a public company needs to "hide the numbers of cars sold during a QTR" but this is not a good way of doing it.

It is more likely VINs get assigned to production batches based on config, and as they produce cars for these different config you will see VINs differing by 10k or more being produced on any particular day. I don't know anything about automobile production, but this makes more sense to me than "Tesla wants to hide the numbers".

Reactions: Daekwan and DrGriz
I know we have discussed this before, but this makes no sense to me. It is not like VINs are randomly going back and forth. There are typically within 10k range. I don't know why a public company needs to "hide the numbers of cars sold during a QTR" but this is not a good way of doing it.

It is more likely VINs get assigned to production batches based on config, and as they produce cars for these different config you will see VINs differing by 10k or more being produced on any particular day. I don't know anything about automobile production, but this makes more sense to me than "Tesla wants to hide the numbers".
If you are not happy with the response do search Google for the right answer. I don't wish to repeat the same explanation to you over and over again. Sorry

Reactions: Cyberspeed
If you are not happy with the response do search Google for the right answer. I don't wish to repeat the same explanation to you over and over again. Sorry
Sorry a little slow but I think I get it now. They are not trying to hide end of the quarter numbers since they are bound to be within a few percentage points of the actual number if you just go by VIN delta. But they are trying to make it harder to speculate what end of the quarters numbers will be ahead of time. Someone can probably still do it but it is harder.

Reactions: charlesoris
Didn't happen without pics. Lol
Screenshot_20220201-200852_Tesla.jpg

Reactions: blodg1
The first 3 of the last six are reliably sequential for a given trim. NF376xxx is the latest for long range.
@blodg1 I don’t think that is true going by reported VINs on this forum. On the same day they might be finishing up some NF36xxx and some NF37xxx May be even some late NF35xxx. Routinely you see “older” VINs with newer build dates. For a given config (int/ext color, wheel, seats, etc) it could be that VINs increase monotonically. Not 100% sure but it does seem to be the case.

Reactions: charlesoris
Not so great news...some reports on here and Reddit of confirmed Intel chips coming back on 376/378/379 VINS. These were built over the last couple days...
Are you serious?

At this point.. it honestly just makes sense to wait for Austin to start production. Even if you didnt get the 4680 pack.. you'd get better quality & definitely paint. In addition to the AMD chips.