Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some 2022 Model Ys shipping with MCU3 (AMD Ryzen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This appears to be nothing but a rumor.
Damn. Called in, 378 VIN….Intel Processor. Is it really that big of a deal? Will most likely release my VIN if so

376 vin here, intel per sa and chat…

The rep I spoke to suggested placing a hold until March 1st if I don’t want to get matched with another Intel…

Got a VIN this morning. NF376. Emailed SA. Came back with Intel and no 12v lithium ion. OD 11/7. NY. This sucks. Been agonizing all morning… I’m going hold til mid march.

I still want to see proof but it seems like this is impacting MYP and perhaps those get prioritized because of the higher margin so they are getting the Intel chips rather than completing a MYLR.

Reactions: rezla and blodg1
When a tech says "car computer" do they mean the one that contains Ryzen or Atom or a different component? I have an intermitted dash cam USB alert pop up on a 2 week old LR, and some cable failed the "wiggle test" and SA has scheduled a follow up appointment next month for a "car computer" replacement. I want to make sure I don't come back from the visit suddenly downgraded to Atom. Currently have both Ryzen and li-ion aux battery.

When a tech says "car computer" do they mean the one that contains Ryzen or Atom or a different component? I have an intermitted dash cam USB alert pop up on a 2 week old LR, and some cable failed the "wiggle test" and SA has scheduled a follow up appointment next month for a "car computer" replacement. I want to make sure I don't come back from the visit suddenly downgraded to Atom. Currently have both Ryzen and li-ion aux battery.
Ryzen is in your "car computer". No way to downgrade because the harness is not compatible.

• Informative
Reactions: leaftoy
This appears to be nothing but a rumor.
Doesn’t seem like a rumor to me. These are now many direct reports from TMC members who learned that they will be receiving Intel chips and the old battery. A rumor would be “I heard someone over on reddit will get an Intel chip in their new Y.” I’m inclined to believe the “intel” is good on this one.

Can someone tell me which chat option did you use to connect to SA to find out this information? My vin is 273xxx, MYP, taking delivery next week. I chose chat under Account but was told they wouldn't know the information. Told me I have to call but I don't want to be on hold for 2 hours. Thanks.

Can someone tell me which chat option did you use to connect to SA to find out this information? My vin is 273xxx, MYP, taking delivery next week. I chose chat under Account but was told they wouldn't know the information. Told me I have to call but I don't want to be on hold for 2 hours. Thanks.
Just call your closest Sales Center or Service Center. Provide them your VIN.

I haven't been assigned a VIN yet, but I was curious about the process to find out if the car will have Ryzen or Intel. I went to my local Tesla store in San Diego, and this is what the sales associate told me:
  • Go to a Tesla sales, delivery center, or service center
  • Have them look up the VIN on their Tesla Garage software
  • Look up the car's attribute "Car Computer"
  • "infoz" means the car's computer is Ryzen
  • "ice" means the car's computer is Intel
I hope this helps. My 30 day delivery window started today and I'm getting nervous will all of the recent reports of Intel MCUs. If I am assigned a VIN with intel, I am most certainly releasing it.

I haven't been assigned a VIN yet, but I was curious about the process to find out if the car will have Ryzen or Intel. I went to my local Tesla store in San Diego, and this is what the sales associate told me:
I hope this helps. My 30 day delivery window started today and I'm getting nervous will all of the recent reports of Intel MCUs. If I am assigned a VIN with intel, I am most certainly releasing it.
So people getting Intels on new deliveries now are literally getting ICEd. Ouch!

My Model Y LR arrived Sat. Software is currently 2021.43.101.2. Set the download option to Advanced to try and get the 2022.4.5 update. It came with the Ryzen chip, Lithium-Ion low voltage battery, heated wiper blades. Rear glass and headlights have not been updated.

How to tell if you have heated wipers
Headlight refresh
YouTube: How to remove covers to see the battery

Engine_Bay.jpg

Lithium_Ion_Battery.jpg

Connector_Heated_Windshield_Wipers_Bay.jpg

Rear_and_Front_Door_Glass_Annotated.jpg

Headlight.jpg

My Model Y LR arrived Sat. Software is currently 2021.43.101.2. Set the download option to Advanced to try and get the 2022.4.5 update. It came with the Ryzen chip, Lithium-Ion low voltage battery, heated wiper blades. Rear glass and headlights have not been updated.

How to tell if you have heated wipers
Headlight refresh
YouTube: How to remove covers to see the battery
Thanks for the great info and photos!

Interesting that the Li-ion battery is labeled "12V". Many are saying it's 15V.

My thoughts too. I am wondering even though maybe it is 15v is it labelled 12v because it is "compatible" with most components that run on 12v. On the other hand I think there was discussion about a voltage mismatch with electrical components in trailers that might be hooked up to it. Don't really know what the story is there.

Tried digging into this a bit more, but haven't found an explicit reason why Tesla's low voltage battery is labelled 12v, when actually it is closer to 15v. Need an automotive electrical engineer to shed more light on this. My best guess is since the automotive supply industry uses a low voltage standard of 12v, the label is showing the battery's purpose rather than its true voltage. Note, for an ICE car with a lead acid battery, although the battery is closer to 12v, once the engine is started and the alternator kicks in the voltage going, to say, the headlights is higher, so headlights are designed to run on 13.2v (see source here). So presumably the various 12v components have a tolerance range for the voltage levels they can accept. Tesla controls what 12v components go into their vehicles, and hence can ensure they can run on slightly higher voltages, but they can't control the 12v components that are in a trailer hooked up to their car, so that might explain articles like this one Drive Tesla Canada: Trailer 12V auxiliary power disabled in recent tow hitch-equipped Model Ys due to upgraded 12V Li-Ion battery.

Munro Live interview with Elon Musk Feb 2, 2021 Talks about moving away from the existing 12v standard to say a 48v standard, which allows the use of smaller copper wires, giving both weight savings and cost savings, it could open up the possibility of combining the separate data and power wires into one set of wires, similar to powered ethernet. Also discusses the advantages of the Lithium ion battery.

YouTube: Munro Live: Sandy talking about Tesla's Lithium Ion battery - Jan 28, 2022 - Battery is from a Model S Plaid but it looks the same as the one on the Y. Someone has written 15.4 on it, which might be the voltage they measured on it. Sounds like we are going to have to wait for a video later in the tear down for a discussion of this battery.
InsideEVs: Tesla's New 12V Li-Ion Auxiliary Battery Has CATL Cells Inside Article sourcing its information from two Youtube videos of a destructive tear down of Tesla's Lithium-Ion battery by Ingineerix.
Ingineerix: Tesla Plaid - 12 volt Lithium Battery PART 1 At 9:53 says the battery voltage is much higher than a normal 12v system, fully charged it is around 16v, but still within the range most 12v accessories will work with. If incandescent light bulbs were still being used in Teslas then the bulb life would be shortened by this higher voltage.
Ingineerix: Update! Part 2 - Tesla Plaid 12v lithium battery. Shows a CATL spec sheet showing the nominal cell voltage is 3.7v, with a max of 4.2v. The battery contains 4 cells, so 14.8v nominal, 16.8v max.

Tried digging into this a bit more, but haven't found an explicit reason why Tesla's low voltage battery is labelled 12v, when actually it is closer to 15v. Need an automotive electrical engineer to shed more light on this. My best guess is since the automotive supply industry uses a low voltage standard of 12v, the label is showing the battery's purpose rather than its true voltage. Note, for an ICE car with a lead acid battery, although the battery is closer to 12v, once the engine is started and the alternator kicks in the voltage going, to say, the headlights is higher, so headlights are designed to run on 13.2v (see source here). So presumably the various 12v components have a tolerance range for the voltage levels they can accept. Tesla controls what 12v components go into their vehicles, and hence can ensure they can run on slightly higher voltages, but they can't control the 12v components that are in a trailer hooked up to their car, so that might explain articles like this one Drive Tesla Canada: Trailer 12V auxiliary power disabled in recent tow hitch-equipped Model Ys due to upgraded 12V Li-Ion battery.

Munro Live interview with Elon Musk Feb 2, 2021 Talks about moving away from the existing 12v standard to say a 48v standard, which allows the use of smaller copper wires, giving both weight savings and cost savings, it could open up the possibility of combining the separate data and power wires into one set of wires, similar to powered ethernet. Also discusses the advantages of the Lithium ion battery.

YouTube: Munro Live: Sandy talking about Tesla's Lithium Ion battery - Jan 28, 2022 - Battery is from a Model S Plaid but it looks the same as the one on the Y. Someone has written 15.4 on it, which might be the voltage they measured on it. Sounds like we are going to have to wait for a video later in the tear down for a discussion of this battery.
InsideEVs: Tesla's New 12V Li-Ion Auxiliary Battery Has CATL Cells Inside Article sourcing its information from two Youtube videos of a destructive tear down of Tesla's Lithium-Ion battery by Ingineerix.
Ingineerix: Tesla Plaid - 12 volt Lithium Battery PART 1 At 9:53 says the battery voltage is much higher than a normal 12v system, fully charged it is around 16v, but still within the range most 12v accessories will work with. If incandescent light bulbs were still being used in Teslas then the bulb life would be shortened by this higher voltage.
Ingineerix: Update! Part 2 - Tesla Plaid 12v lithium battery. Shows a CATL spec sheet showing the nominal cell voltage is 3.7v, with a max of 4.2v. The battery contains 4 cells, so 14.8v nominal, 16.8v max.
People are just calling it what it replaced.

Once assigned a VIN, is there a maximum number of times one can ‘release’ it? Any down sides to ‘releasing’ it? ( eg kicked to end of line)?

Once assigned a VIN, is there a maximum number of times one can ‘release’ it? Any down sides to ‘releasing’ it? ( eg kicked to end of line)?
From the most recent people talking who have rejected, Tesla can cancel your order after your 2nd reject. It seems you tend to get another VIN quicker than a new order if rejecting. Some people have reported same or within a couple days - others longer of course. Is there a method to the madness?…idk. And you can supposedly put the car on hold once (I’d say do this after rejecting the 1st VIN). They have become more strict in recent months with this.

FYI, How to tell if your VIN has AMD or Intel:

- Go to a tesla location (Sales, Delivery, or Service Center) and have them look up your VIN in the Tesla Garage application
- Have them search the attribute “car computer”
- “infoz” means you have an AMD CPU
- “ice” means you have an Intel CPU

Many sales/delivery advisors don’t bother looking this up and just say that it “should” have the “latest specs”. This way you should be able to confirm for sure.

Reactions: Jdmoto