Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some 2022 Model Ys shipping with MCU3 (AMD Ryzen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI, How to tell if your VIN has AMD or Intel:

- Go to a tesla location (Sales, Delivery, or Service Center) and have them look up your VIN in the Tesla Garage application
- Have them search the attribute “car computer”
- “infoz” means you have an AMD CPU
- “ice” means you have an Intel CPU

Many sales/delivery advisors don’t bother looking this up and just say that it “should” have the “latest specs”. This way you should be able to confirm for sure.
Tried that because my TA and chat were giving me contradictory answers.
When going to the sales side of the service center, unfortunately I was welcomed by my TA... Which didn't bother checking, even when I made the effort to go in...
I hope others will have more luck !

Tried that because my TA and chat were giving me contradictory answers.
When going to the sales side of the service center, unfortunately I was welcomed by my TA... Which didn't bother checking, even when I made the effort to go in...
I hope others will have more luck !
I actually stopped by a my pick up location yesterday and talked to one of the SA ( manager) by random. Told him I was picking next week and ask some random questions about delivery process then asked if my MY will arrive with the new Ryzen package. He actually grabbed his laptop and ran my vin and told me I do have the Ryzen package. This was my second confirmation.

You best bet is to ask the built date. 1/6 - 2/6 seems to be Ryzen built on MYLR with a mix of MYP. Anything week 2/7 MYP is questionable Intel chips.

I feel like they had a batch of MYP sitting in QA for inspection or rework and they just released the batch this past week. A lot of part BOM changes when changing the chipset. Harness, MCU, 12v battery, windshield, heck I think the whole front dash is different assembly. That swap could slow down production unless they really don't have any parts to build the Ryzen BOM.

I feel like they had a batch of MYP sitting in QA for inspection or rework and they just released the batch this past week. A lot of part BOM changes when changing the chipset. Harness, MCU, 12v battery, windshield, heck I think the whole front dash is different assembly. That swap could slow down production unless they really don't have any parts to build the Ryzen BOM.
Yes, I think this is the only explanation that makes any sense. That some Intel built cars were waiting for a rework or parts and those have just been released.

I just don't understand a high production world where they would be swapping back and forth between the two given the number of differences. All new cars rolling off the line must be Rizen etc now.

Yes, I think this is the only explanation that makes any sense. That some Intel built cars were waiting for a rework or parts and those have just been released.
That theory sounds right but Tesla doesn't wait to add VIN's so those would have old VIN numbers. What we are seeing here are fresh builds with high number VIN's. Those could be new cars built with older contents but certainly aren't old cars being reworked.

I just don't understand a high production world where they would be swapping back and forth between the two given the number of differences. All new cars rolling off the line must be Rizen etc now.
As a repairer I can tell you that they are not going to swap back and fourth during production. At least not for a short period. When repairing a Tesla you have to look up parts and wiring diagrams based on build date. At some point we will learn the definitive cutoff dates.

This doesn’t seem right to me. Fremont is producing over 1000 cars per day, and based on what I’ve gleaned on this site, many (most?) of the cars built over the past 5 days have had intel in them. That’s thousands of cars, more than just a few hanging around the factory for rework.

A more likely explanation is that Tesla still has batches of intel boards continuing to come in, and they are using up these batches as they come in. They may not be placing any orders for new boards, but it seems likely they still have some outstanding orders from last year that they would rather not discard, especially in the midst of a semiconductor shortage.

My guess… we’ll continue to see mixes of Intel and AMD over the next few months.

As a repairer I can tell you that they are not going to swap back and fourth during production. At least not for a short period. When repairing a Tesla you have to look up parts and wiring diagrams based on build date. At some point we will learn the definitive cutoff dates.
Build date isn't enough. They have multiple production lines so one may be using Intel while another may be using AMD on the same day.

This doesn’t seem right to me. Fremont is producing over 1000 cars per day, and based on what I’ve gleaned on this site, many (most?) of the cars built over the past 5 days have had intel in them. That’s thousands of cars, more than just a few hanging around the factory for rework.

A more likely explanation is that Tesla still has batches of intel boards continuing to come in, and they are using up these batches as they come in. They may not be placing any orders for new boards, but it seems likely they still have some outstanding orders from last year that they would rather not discard, especially in the midst of a semiconductor shortage.

My guess… we’ll continue to see mixes of Intel and AMD over the next few months.
Nonsense. Give me hard data not your speculations.

• Disagree
Reactions: pepperoni

Of course this is just one data point, but I received my MYLR VIN today and it was NF377xxx which is right in the VIN range of 376-380 where we have been seeing cars (mostly MYP) with Intel Atom CPUs. My SA said he "checked" (rather than talk off the top of his head) and confirmed that my car has the AMD Ryzen and the new "12V" Li-ion battery.

This actually happened to me. Couple of days after delivery (with the Ryzen chip), I had mobile service come and install Homelink, and the mobile tech couldn't enable homelink with his computer since the connector had changed and he didn't have the right cable and said he will need to come back end of the day with the right cable in case they couldn't turn it on remotely. Luckily they were able to turn on homelink remotely.

Reactions: blodg1
Of course this is just one data point, but I received my MYLR VIN today and it was NF377xxx which is right in the VIN range of 376-380 where we have been seeing cars (mostly MYP) with Intel Atom CPUs. My SA said he "checked" (rather than talk off the top of his head) and confirmed that my car has the AMD Ryzen and the new "12V" Li-ion battery.
Only Tesla can pull this one-off. You are lucky that you ordered a MYLR and not a MYP. I feel sorry for MYP folks.

Can someone confirm whether or not anyone else has received a AMD Ryzen processor that has a factory installed tow hitch? Just read on another thread that there is a link to the 12V lead acid battery not playing nice with the trailer hitch wiring harness so they are building them with the lesser battery until they can develop the adapter that will work correctly. Again I am not saying this is true just saw it on the the Blue waiting room thread. If there is any truth to this I may attempt to change my order to "No Tow". It's not like I am pulling a trailer. I just wanted it for bike rack a few times a year.

Can someone confirm whether or not anyone else has received a AMD Ryzen processor that has a factory installed tow hitch? Just read on another thread that there is a link to the 12V lead acid battery not playing nice with the trailer hitch wiring harness so they are building them with the lesser battery until they can develop the adapter that will work correctly. Again I am not saying this is true just saw it on the the Blue waiting room thread. If there is any truth to this I may attempt to change my order to "No Tow". It's not like I am pulling a trailer. I just wanted it for bike rack a few times a year.

Mine hasn't been delivered yet (got the 377xxx VIN today), but it does have the tow hitch and the SA said he "confirmed" that it has the Ryzen and "12V" Lithium battery.

MYRL, white ext, black int, 5 seat, Gemini, has tow hitch, no FSD
OD 9/12

Mine hasn't been delivered yet (got the 377xxx VIN today), but it does have the tow hitch and the SA said he "confirmed" that it has the Ryzen and "12V" Lithium battery.

MYRL, white ext, black int, 5 seat, Gemini, has tow hitch, no FSD
OD 9/12
I just saw that I also got my VIN today 02/12 and mine is (F377XXX). Not sure if the SA is available on Sundays to text me back but I left a message with 9 questions that I copied from another member which includes: AMD Ryzen chip?, build date?, Lithium ion battery?, which tires? Hope I hear back from them with the answers I want to hear.

I had a 378 VIN build date 2/7 that I rejected due to 3 paint issues including a large plastic chip which must have happened during transport that warranted repainting of the bumper. Otherwise car was pretty decent. Had a Ryzen chip. Hope the new one does as well.

MYP 365XXX
Red, white no fsd

AMD Ryzen
15.5v lithium battery
Dual pane front and single pane rear windows.

Factory Tow.

Picked up today (2/13/22) in Cincinnati
PXL_20220213_200430737~2.jpg
PXL_20220213_200319358.jpg

Reactions: rezla and Anish3232