Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Somebody selling my wrecked model 3 VIN in a different car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The dealer reviews are not exactly spectacular.

This does make me ask - what exactly is a salvage title? Clearly the insurance company would get more return if they didn't have to label the car as salvage? So, why would they ever do it?

In Texas:

A salvaged car will be issued a salvaged vehicle title from the Texas DPS. This certificate is a legal requirement, and allows anyone that comes into contact with the vehicle to know the basic history of its use, and that it is currently considered unsafe to drive. Insurance is severely limited on salvaged cars.

I stand by the assertion that it is a different car. I did not claim somebody put the original computer in a stolen vehicle, or a flooded one or salvage title which would actually be indistinguishable from the observations. I'm still not making that claim if you want to argue that as well. If you are inferring that, well go right ahead.
There was a molding burr on the ceiling liner and a small ding in the roof glass both are gone as well. Perhaps they did replace the ceiling liner and the glass and fixed all the panel gaps. Sure, I can except that. But that seems like a lot of extra work for a flip.

But it's good to know people are defending used car dealers! And at least they are creating a market for damaged vehicles.
I’m defending the re-use of vehicles deemed totaled otherwise. Truth be told there’s much shadier ways to turn a buck than selling salvage or previous accident cars.

Is it possible that they bought the salvaged vehicle to use it for parts and we're all assuming that the one for sale is your old one? If you pull up the Tesla app on your phone and touch the location, it will show you down to the meter where the car is parked. Perhaps it's sitting in the back awaiting dissection.

For instance, right now mine is in my parking spot at my office:

View attachment 504834
You're not parked very well :p

I stand by the assertion that it is a different car. I did not claim somebody put the original computer in a stolen vehicle, or a flooded one or salvage title which would actually be indistinguishable from the observations. I'm still not making that claim if you want to argue that as well. If you are inferring that, well go right ahead.
There was a molding burr on the ceiling liner and a small ding in the roof glass both are gone as well. Perhaps they did replace the ceiling liner and the glass and fixed all the panel gaps. Sure, I can except that. But that seems like a lot of extra work for a flip.

But it's good to know people are defending used car dealers! And at least they are creating a market for damaged vehicles.
Well I would say your wording could have been better if that is the case. I’m not defending the dealer. I wouldn’t buy that car. And it’s up to the dealer to decide how much work is worth it for a flip. You have to keep in mind that they are not a Tesla approved shop or any high end shop for that matter. Their labor rates or costs are not what a well respected shops rates would be.

• Disagree
Reactions: SageBrush
I wonder if any potential buyer will notice all of the error messages in the dealer's photos.
2020-01-27.jpg

2020-01-27.jpg

2020-01-27.jpg

Looks like that dealer has another Tesla for sale that shows several errors as well.

Last edited:
Ha. It just occurred to me that it would be comical if the original owner could remotely drive his M3 to the FL DMV, then call that office to go outside and inspect the VIN. Watch the folks at the lot freak out as it goes away. Apparently driverless.
It’d still pass FL inspection: which is basically “does it roll?” Pass.

I wonder if any potential buyer will notice all of the error messages in the dealer's photos. Looks like that dealer has another Tesla for sale that shows several errors as well.
The average non-Tesla owner likely won't recognize the (likely) severity of that first warning, and the dealer will surely just say "Oh, as soon as you get it home and on wifi, it'll update no problem!"

As far as warranty on this car. Tesla specifically mentions salvage titles cars losing their warranty after an accident. This car never had a salvage title so you would think it’s still valid. However, this warranty might be void if Tesla someone finds out if was repaired by someone other than a Tesla approved shop. (I’m fairly certain it was not repaired by a Tesla approved shop, as their would be no money in flipping this car).
The only part of the warranty that would could legally be void would be anything that has to do with the parts that were replaced, provided that the car never had a salvage title.

It looks like somebody swapped ICE (computer) which has VPN keys which linked to old owner account. The car could be fine, it looks like it requires software update to get all modules updated , but as is it would not drive based on the photos

• Disagree
Reactions: dennisvab
It looks like somebody swapped ICE (computer) which has VPN keys which linked to old owner account. The car could be fine, it looks like it requires software update to get all modules updated , but as is it would not drive based on the photos
The dealer is listing it as having the OP’s VIN though. That’s a huge issue if it’s not OP’s old car and just the computer from it.

Reactions: SageBrush