Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Someone bumped into my trunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure lifegate is made in two pieces, look like one piece to me. I do have Sentry mode on and it was a 2004 Lexus GS (no damage to his), he gave his insurance info.
Looks like you purposely neglected to tell the whole story in your 1st post to get your 15 minutes of fame here. In reality the thread should have ended with one response. Take your Y to a Tesla approved body shop to get the lift gate replaced on the other driver’s insurance tab.

Looks like you purposely neglected to tell the whole story in your 1st post to get your 15 minutes of fame here. In reality the thread should have ended with one response. Take your Y to a Tesla approved body shop to get the lift gate replaced on the other driver’s insurance tab.
Totally disagree.
YOU purposely neglected to tell the whole story (from your perspective)..."get the lift gate replaced on the other driver's insurance tab, which will increase his/her premium, and waste a perfectly good (and expensive) lift gate, in addition to having both rear fenders repainted (feathered) to insure a proper paint match with the new lift gate.."

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Totally disagree.
YOU purposely neglected to tell the whole story (from your perspective)..."get the lift gate replaced on the other driver's insurance tab, which will increase his/her premium, and waste a perfectly good (and expensive) lift gate, in addition to having both rear fenders repainted (feathered) to insure a proper paint match with the new lift gate.."
Curious but with the added context supplied later that the dynamic hasn’t changed?? If a hit and run, or self inflicted Sure do what you can to mask the issue best you can at lowest cost and learn from it. IF however someone knowingly and admitted fault while insured WHY would someone settle for good enough or Almost as good as new solution? They have insurance (the at fault Lexus owner) why not have it professionally done and replaced to as new status? The OP is still out the time, posts, and effort for someone else’s mistake. I would get a New replacement lift gate from Tesla and be done with it. That recommendation does Nothing to the OP’s insurance And ensures No loss in value for an Almost fixed issue.

IF however someone knowingly and admitted fault while insured WHY would someone settle for good enough or Almost as good as new solution?
Consider:
1) Cash payments outside of insurance potentially exceeding cost of PDR repair.
2) DV, or no DV if not reported.
3) Environmental impact of wasted material.
4) Repaint and feather/blend impact. Not necessarily better. Depends on the case.
5) Potential for PDR to be better (not saying it is the case here necessarily).
6) Time without vehicle may exceed several weeks vs. an hour or two for PDR.

Lots of factors to consider which will be different in every case.

Totally disagree.
Well, others mentioned a PDR fix will only reduce the appearance, and won't fix it. Given it's on the other person's insurance, it won't increase your premium. The only negative thing is it'll be recorded in your carfax (you can fight for diminished value though).

I think the wait time to have the car fixed probably is the biggest consideration. Equation may also change if other driver is open to out of pocket instead of insurance or if the insurance company wants to settle for a fixed amount paid to you directly (I had this happen in an older car).

Reactions: Yelobird
Full replacement of hatch. Blending paint into quarter panels requires removing quarter panel glass, etc. Adds up very quick. I even had some minor damage in rear tub. Total for me was over $12K all said and done.

Used a certified Tesla shop.

Attachments

• IMG_3699.jpeg
    IMG_3699.jpeg
    459.1 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Reactions: Kevinaldo
Full replacement of hatch. Blending paint into quarter panels requires removing quarter panel glass, etc. Adds up very quick. I even had some minor damage in rear tub. Total for me was over $12K all said and done.

Used a certified Tesla shop.

Not the same situation though. Your dent/crease is much larger and deeper. 12K still sounds like a lot for a rear hatch replacement...

Not the same situation though. Your dent/crease is much larger and deeper. 12K still sounds like a lot for a rear hatch replacement...
I’ve been to Tesla certified shops that wanted to replace all sorts of things “just in case”. I still remember him pointing to the mold marks on the tail lights trying to say they were cracked and needed to be replaced.