Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Someone's X prepping for delivery at Denver "secret location"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
-sigh-

How quickly things get twisted/forgotten/whatever.

A forum member first saw their X posted here on TMC, with their VIN, sitting in the service center. They were upset to first learn of it here..

Out of respect for others, some of us (myself included), felt that posting the VIN of a car being prepped should be left alone. (Creeping around a service center is not exactly a random encounter, imo.) Since then, most service centers have been putting tape over the VIN, so it's no longer an issue.

I know some don't agree. I know VINs are easily obtainable publicly. But I had hoped that the simple fact that a forum member was bothered by the situation and that others agree that they would be bothered too, would be enough to stop that activity. However, others made clear that they were going to do no such thing. And I learned a lot that day. Not the end of the world by any means. Just disappointing ...

Not creeping but Noticed while picking up wall charger at SC today 7 X models on the lot, more expected tomorrow. They gave us a quick demo on a FWD and air suspension. Never occurred to me to look for vin or take pictures. As always, to busy chatting up staff and getting to know about them and easing out a few details on delivery movement. (I left feeling very optimistic) Our DS had the day off but emailed a short time ago reconfirming late March early April delivery. I was surprised that,although behind a secure gate, all were visible. The streets will be crawling with X's!

If I did not post the VIN, then I haven't posted pictures of anybody's specific car but just a random X sighting. Also there is no disclaimer or boiler plate agreement to be a member of this forum. I suggest any objectors take a big chill pill. This is/was just a spy cam photo of "a car" and not "your car"!!!

If I did not post the VIN, then I haven't posted pictures of anybody's specific car but just a random X sighting. Also there is no disclaimer or boiler plate agreement to be a member of this forum. I suggest any objectors take a big chill pill. This is/was just a spy cam photo of "a car" and not "your car"!!!

i am of the camp that this is OK. Even if a car in a spy shot is the same color combination as what you ordered, you do not know if it is yours or 'just a car with the same color combo'.

i know that, with the right shot you can also see the wheels and maybe the 'L' option, but that is a out it.

I didn't see anyone giving you personally a hard time. I was explaining where the issue came from originally. Don't look for a fight where there is none. As I said, the issue was with posting the VIN of an undelivered car. That's all.

Settle. Or take that chill pill you're offering. :)

@BrettH, I'm in Southern California, our local meet X event was 3 weeks ago 20 miles away. Confirmed by staff all X's on lot are for delivery, one was to happen last night, another batch to arrive from factory this week.

I didn't see anyone giving you personally a hard time. I was explaining where the issue came from originally. Don't look for a fight where there is none. As I said, the issue was with posting the VIN of an undelivered car. That's all.

Settle. Or take that chill pill you're offering. :)
I've offered many chill pills in my posts. A little outta hand I agree. Not stirring anyone's pot either. We're all a little restless hoping that the promised delivery ramp actually begins to slope upwards from its flat line, and any rays of hope for delivery are little tidbits of information we all hold out for. Sorry if I was a teaser by telling some unknown Denverite that his/her car is getting prepped. As said before Bonnie, I'm chill. I think the others blasting me and complaining to some higher authority to shame me are the ones needing the Rx. Sign me now as....
Dr. Jon

My first 2 x sightings in the live...I saw 2 Model X's being delivered at the back of the secret location this evening. VIN 274 (metallic blue P90D, not L tan leather interior black headliners) and black Model x, unknown details as still wrapped in plastic, VIN 368. Both cars have arrived in Denver for preparation for delivery. While I have photos of the full window sticker of the metallic blue, I will not post in deference to Bonnie and to the future owner. But let it be known to each of you lucky Model X near owners, I am jealous. I was not allowed to do anything but look. No touchy. I get my touchy at the Denver event tomorrow and can't wait. The blue car has production sticker of 2/2016, so hopefully one of you can do the math for February production. I also thought it was a founders because of the VIN starting with "F" but no other chrome details give it a Founders appearance. The black one also had a VIN with F followed by 6 digits. Wasn't S for sig, F for founders and P for production on the VIN assignments?

My first 2 x sightings in the live...I saw 2 Model X's being delivered at the back of the secret location this evening. VIN 274 (metallic blue P90D, not L tan leather interior black headliners) and black Model x, unknown details as still wrapped in plastic, VIN 368. Both cars have arrived in Denver for preparation for delivery. While I have photos of the full window sticker of the metallic blue, I will not post in deference to Bonnie and to the future owner. But let it be known to each of you lucky Model X near owners, I am jealous. I was not allowed to do anything but look. No touchy. I get my touchy at the Denver event tomorrow and can't wait. The blue car has production sticker of 2/2016, so hopefully one of you can do the math for February production. I also thought it was a founders because of the VIN starting with "F" but no other chrome details give it a Founders appearance. The black one also had a VIN with F followed by 6 digits. Wasn't S for sig, F for founders and P for production on the VIN assignments?

I think that you missed the point, reporting the vin (via text or photo) is what was, in part, was trying to avoided. You have now told two people/families that there X is at the service center.

Those cars are likely production models as the P has been dropped for production models to allow VIN numbering of 6 digits. As per other threads, if it's founders it's F followed by 5 digits and for Signature it's S followed by 5 digits.

I think that you missed the point, reporting the vin (via text or photo) is what was, in part, was trying to avoided. You have now told two people/families that there X is at the service center.

Right now I'm just feeling bad for the guys at the Denver Service Center, who are no doubt in trouble (or shortly will be) over this. They're all under strict orders not to let people get VIN info ... :(

I thought your issue was photo of someone's car. Real information on deliveries from TM is so non existent that I think it reasonable to offer what I saw.considering the long wait and lack of accurate info from national DS about vehicle whereabouts, wouldn't you like to know your X has actually arrived locally for delivery? I sure bet you the owner would want to know. I would want the real info that my X was being prepped for delivery rather than sitting in Frenont purgatory waiting for a part before transit. Just my thoughts, no go ahead and rip me a new orifice

Hi Jsollender- If this was my car that was being prepped and you were able to give me information on it, I would be appreciative and not upset. This whole secrecy thing from Tesla is so perplexing. No information, no timelines, no schedules. Its bizarre. If we were in October or November and people were asking about secrecy, I would understand more. Its March. a handful of cars have been delivered and thousands of owners are in the dark as to what is going on. I for one appreciate your update. Ready for my new oriface as well.

This whole secrecy thing from Tesla is so perplexing. No information, no timelines, no schedules. Its bizarre.

I can at least partially understand the secrecy. Tesla is a publicly traded company, and if they release too much information, investors will be able to gather a lot of information about sales, revenue, timelines, etc, which could hurt the stock price if those numbers don't match expectations (and based on what we're seeing, I would make a guess that they don't). They even went as far as obfuscating information, so the VIN is no longer a clear indication of the order in which the cars are produced like they used to.

I'm not agreeing with Tesla's complete lack of communication, I think they could do a much better job in at least giving us a broad overview on how things are going, but a publicly traded company always has to be careful about what information gets out. Even the slightest tidbit of information can be inflated by the press and turned into a PR nightmare. Most companies I worked at where extremely protective of their information.