Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Somethings I dont like about the "S"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I simply don't understand why people think they have valid complaints for a car that was not advertised to provide the features not on the car regardless if they are on cheaper cars elsewhere.
Well I'll be honest and I didn't look too hard in to things like blind spot monitoring or cross traffic monitoring when I purchased because I assumed it would have them! I'm not moaning it doesn't, my reaction was more of surprise it doesn't. Thankfully these cars make up for any short falls in those areas with other great things.

Last edited:
Reactions: Akikiki
S, X, and 3 all have room to store a spare tire and jack in the rear, for those willing to carry the extra weight around and give up that storage space.

Don't find the S to have any more blind spots than most other similar vehicles. Combination of well adjusted mirrors and rear view camera keeps me pretty traffic aware. Sensor packs and standard cameras also give additional situational awareness.
You're not Australian. What are you doing on here? Haha, I was going to post and then I realized it was an Australian thread. Is it bad manners to hijack this thread?

• Funny
Reactions: Vegas
Sorry I'll fix my vehicle info for the forum, I have a 2017 P100D Model-S I purchased used.
My point on reliability is not based on internet gripes alone (yes I know people tend to only get vocal about bad things online), my own experiences so far are as follows.
My own car has only done 12,000 or so kms, it is going in shortly to get an air suspension leak fixed, TPMS fixed (a few times a week I get a warning on the dash saying the system has failed), it has various rattles around the sunroof and windows, the MCU isn't what I'd define as a stable operating device. I understand all cars have issues and from what I read the service in Australia where I am is very good, but for the price we are paying these are issues you'd expect at maybe 120,000, not 12,000 and some of them (the MCU stability) should not even exist.
To rub salt in the wound years ago we had a Jeep Grand Cherokee, certainly not known for reliability. We sold that at 75,000kms with not one rattle and no issues ever needed to be addressed during servicing.
I mentioned the ability to get visual display of text messages, this isn't about being an idiot and texting/driving. I'll give you an example of where this is really handy. Lets say you have organised to meet someone at place 'x', on your way there they send a text to say they are running late, or there is no parks so they've parked around the corner. You never see or hear the notification, Tesla is not alone though, my wife has a Euro SUV and it is the same but my other car alerts you on screen and it will even read the message out for you. On the flip side the integrated Google Maps is faultless, love it.
It is a shame because the drivetrain in the Tesla is perfection, exceptional.

Interesting - my car’s been really good, coming up to 4 years now. The MCU is pretty stable - but maybe not as much as other cars, although it does do a hell of a lot more.

Re txting and driving - if you are using a smartphone they can generally read your messages out to you. I have mine on a magnetic mount (with wireless charging), and just press the button on it and ask it to read out my message.

Sorry I'll fix my vehicle info for the forum, I have a 2017 P100D Model-S I purchased used.
My point on reliability is not based on internet gripes alone (yes I know people tend to only get vocal about bad things online), my own experiences so far are as follows.
My own car has only done 12,000 or so kms, it is going in shortly to get an air suspension leak fixed, TPMS fixed (a few times a week I get a warning on the dash saying the system has failed), it has various rattles around the sunroof and windows, the MCU isn't what I'd define as a stable operating device. I understand all cars have issues and from what I read the service in Australia where I am is very good, but for the price we are paying these are issues you'd expect at maybe 120,000, not 12,000 and some of them (the MCU stability) should not even exist.
To rub salt in the wound years ago we had a Jeep Grand Cherokee, certainly not known for reliability. We sold that at 75,000kms with not one rattle and no issues ever needed to be addressed during servicing.
I mentioned the ability to get visual display of text messages, this isn't about being an idiot and texting/driving. I'll give you an example of where this is really handy. Lets say you have organised to meet someone at place 'x', on your way there they send a text to say they are running late, or there is no parks so they've parked around the corner. You never see or hear the notification, Tesla is not alone though, my wife has a Euro SUV and it is the same but my other car alerts you on screen and it will even read the message out for you. On the flip side the integrated Google Maps is faultless, love it.
It is a shame because the drivetrain in the Tesla is perfection, exceptional.
Sounds like the previous owner was not so nice to your car

Blind-spot warnings, warning LED's in the mirrors aren't new, I suspect Tesla decided against that method because they had other plans....like showing you in the dash (not actually a better solution).
cross traffic warning, forgot about that one and yes that is really nice once you've driven a car with it. At least the rear camera has a reasonable wide angle but it still doesn't help when a big SUV is parked next to you.
360 degree view, with all the cameras they have this should be possible.

As you said these aren't functions they ever said were coming, but it does irk you when you see ads for a $40,000 car that has all that.
No not really, as the 40k cars have to go to those funny petrol stations, and when they take off from the lights the car just laughs at them...or at least I assume that funny noise is a car laughing. Then they fart obnoxious gasses that my tesla no longer smells thanks to its carbon filter.
The latest rear camera is a full 180degrees. As soon as you clear the car next to you, the view is up the entire road. Its absolutely fantastic. (SA is front in parking)

No it does not irk me. I read what came on this car and bought it like they offered it. It also does not have a 8 foot flat bed on the back or 31" wheels. I not going to complain because they don't offer that.

Yes, you are correct. They had have/had a plan and I guess they are following it. This was not an election to pick what we wanted on the car and expect them to install it.

I simply don't understand why people think they have valid complaints for a car that was not advertised to provide the features not on the car regardless if they are on cheaper cars elsewhere.

Please notice that I am not complaining about people that are complaining. They are entitled to complain if they wish. I am simply saying I don't understand why when no promise was made to them and broken to provide features.

Besides many of the updates that are discussed are going to likely require hardware updates. Since Tesla does not retrofit hardware (well hardly ever), if they update new cars with hardware, people will need to buy a new car to get the features. Next people will complain that although the features are there, they have to buy a new car to get the features.

Remember when there were no parking sensors on the S? Then they added them. All those folks that were upset because their car didn't have them and new cars do. Good example (I think).
Yes very well put. Although we are fully entitled to coplain about homelink and the promised self opening garage door and car meeting me at my driveway. These were promised to earlier buyers and have not been delivered. Everything else within my car is per the sample I viewed at the time of purchase

Reactions: David29
Yes very well put. Although we are fully entitled to coplain about homelink and the promised self opening garage door and car meeting me at my driveway. These were promised to earlier buyers and have not been delivered. Everything else within my car is per the sample I viewed at the time of purchase
I agree - very well put. It is like a smartphone. When the new tech arrives and you want it, you buy a new one if so inclined. Tesla the same. It's just a matter of scale.

I have the Homelink Icon on my car, is everyone else missing it or is there more to this story than I understand?

The homelink icon made its grand appearance on the touchscreen a few months back, just sitting there glaring back at the Australian driver as if to say "you want me but you can't have me. Next will be a web browser icon to really rub it in.

Seems like it should be functional, I've never gone past this part of setting it up.

Attachments

• Home_Link.jpg
    Home_Link.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 44