Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Somethings I dont like about the "S"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lack of a spare tyre even a spacesaver or even info what could be used.
No place to store it.
High wear of the rear tires
High self discharge of the traction battery & its attached systems. About 10kWhrs per week
Poor left & right vision due to the large pillars
Need for hand on steering wheel & its nags on AP.
Rapid technology changes that make your existing model redundant
Add your own to the list.

No place to store it.
High self discharge of the traction battery & its attached systems. About 10kWhrs per week

What are you trading it in for?

No place to store it.
Kind of an issue, but in 4 years hasn’t been a problem
I have rotated the tyres every 8-10,000km and got 50k from them - more than the 20-25 from my previous car. No prob with rear tyres.
Extra storage space is nice - not sure about the trade off
My experience is less self discharge than that with powersaving set to on
Not noticed any lack of vision compared to other modern cars. Happily trade this off for the structural rigidity and safety
I drive with hands on all the time by default, don’t notice any nags
Welcome to 2018

My list;
2015 next gen seats are much better, making me want to upgrade
I am no longer interested in new petrol cars, even exotics
I’d like blind spot warning in the mirrors
Adaptive cruise slows down for corners that I wouldn’t have
I’d like my S to be able to use bluetooth from my phone to open doors without a network connection- so I dont carry a key.

No place to store it.

My two previous cars didn't have spare tyres either (BMW 325 and Mazda MX5) - don't think I have had a flat tyre in last 5 years except for a slow leak which was OK to drive on to tyre shop. Boot is big enough that you could keep a tyre in there if it really bothers you surely?
In my experience rear tyre wear is generally dictated by how quickly you put the right foot down.
Haven't notice self discharge yet but drive it every day
Vision not noticeably worse than any other car - rear view out back window not great but rear camera compensates for that.
Why do you take your hands off the wheel?
I have a 2015 model and I don't feel it is redundant compared to the 2018 model I test drove before buying mine - in fact I would say it is far better than a 2015 model of any other car because software has been updated.

I am far happier with this car than with anything else I have ever owned and cannot imagine going back to anything else now.

Reactions: Shock-On-T
I havnt carried a spare in any car in the last 10 years, and have had around 4 punctures. Never far from a servo formair until the next tyre shop. I keep a spare tyre only at home though, just in case I get a side wall gash on a weekend.
I go through tyres like crazy with wear. Dont care. I use my servicing budget.
Traction battery diischarge, doesnt bother me. Charge for free from my solar panels or the supercharger. Use my petrol budget for the coffee.
My past cars have been sportscars, which have all had terrible vision. My tesla has amazing vision compared.
Auto-pilot nag.....well at least I have autopilot....no-one else Imknow has anything similar.
Technology upgrades....all cars upgrade every two years. Tesla wont be any different.

So in my mind your list is back to nothing, just a fantastically quiet, easy to drive car with crazy acceleration, a decent minimalist interior, a killer no fuss exterior, and an amazing conversation starter, usually with strangers. Plus no ofher brand has ever sent their service tech out to my house to sort issues, sometimes within the hour. He’s a decent person too, also a rarity from money sucking car service centres. Petrol cars and petrol station fumes will never be part of my life again, other than when I hire at the airport. Thatvalways reminds me how incredible my model s is.

No place to store it.
Spare: I’ve had one screw in a tyre in 4 years with the Model S and I was able to top it up with the optional Tesla tyre inflator and get to a tyre place to have it plugged. I did borrow a spare wheel for the Alice Springs trip though.
Rear tyre wear: My first set of tyres lasted 60,000Km but a recent wheel alignment showed accelerated rear tyre ware due to some rear camber that couldn’t be corrected. Unfortunately many new cars do not have rear camber adjustments not only Tesla. I have ordered a rear camber kit through K-Mac last week and will report when I get it fitted.
Self Discharge: I haven’t measured this personally however that’s about $2 to $3 a week in additional cost so I don’t worry about it. In terms of efficiency I see your point, when there are millions of EVs. The Jaguar iPace poor energy efficiency shows that this is a work in progress for not just Tesla.
Poor Vision: A pillar vision is an issue with most modern cars as designers sweep them forward for better crash performance, my previous car was worse. Rear vision is greatly helped by the camera and auto dipping mirrors. I have greatest difficulties judging the distance of the front wheels from the kerb as the gravel rash on them testifies.
Steering Nags: Sorry can’t understand this common complaint. None of our cars are yet fully autonomous and we all should keep at least one hand on the wheel and be alert at all times. I find on long trips I can rest my right arm on the window and hang my left hand on the wheel and be quite comfortable and alert.
Rapid Technology Changes: The alternative is to delay the introduction of life saving and enabling technology. I have a vision impaired friend who’s life will be immeasurably changed once full autonomy is achieved. Swings and roundabouts.

First time poster, first time Model S owner too. I'll add to the list (and reiterate) some of the above 'wish we had' features other cars have.
- Blind spot indicators in the mirrors, I have two other cars with these and it just works better than looking at the dash.
- On screen notification of text messages and read out text messages (again, used to this in other vehicles I have).
- Stability in the media system before gimmicks (constant resets shouldn't need to happen).
- Surround camera view when parking.
- More technical details about the car available in the dash display.
- The ability to mess with the car (every car I've owned has been modified).

I went on this Tesla journey knowing I was buying in to something that was not the most reliable car out there, would be frightening to own out of warranty, and given Tesla thinks more like a software company than a manufacturer the systems would always have glitches but for now the benefits are outweighing the downsides.

First time poster, first time Model S owner too. I'll add to the list (and reiterate) some of the above 'wish we had' features other cars have.
- Blind spot indicators in the mirrors, I have two other cars with these and it just works better than looking at the dash.
- On screen notification of text messages and read out text messages (again, used to this in other vehicles I have).
- Stability in the media system before gimmicks (constant resets shouldn't need to happen).

I went on this Tesla journey knowing I was buying in to something that was not the most reliable car out there, would be frightening to own out of warranty, and given Tesla thinks more like a software company than a manufacturer the systems would always have glitches but for now the benefits are outweighing the downsides.

Not sure about your reliability concerns. I’ve owned 4 model s now, and have never had a mechanical problem. Oh wait yes 1 door handle failed once, but it didnt stop me driving, and tesla came to my house to fix it.

@P100D_Me any reason you don't have a footer? Like I am assuming you have a new P100D? From my experience the latest generation S and X's (with new grey/blue trim fittings) are very well refined and no way would I say unreliable.

Australia, where? Joining the TOCA (Tesla Owners Club of Australia)?

I wish other car companies would have half the service experience one gets from Tesla, if legacy ICE dealers upped their service quality then maybe in this regard Tesla would have something to worry about.

If you think a $200k car is frightening to own out of warranty you shouldn't be buying a 200k car.

Reactions: paulp
1. Lack of a spare tyre even a spacesaver or even info what could be used.
2. No place to store it.
3. High wear of the rear tires
4. High self discharge of the traction battery & its attached systems. About 10kWhrs per week
5. Poor left & right vision due to the large pillars
6. Need for hand on steering wheel & its nags on AP.
7. Rapid technology changes that make your existing model redundant

I've numbered your quotes to give my take on each one.
1. Yeah, I'll probably be wishing for a spare if I ever get into a situation requiring it. However, I'm 'one of those Millennials' who doesn't even know how to change a tyre anyway *shrugs*. And as someone else posted - luxury sedans and spare tyres don't mix.
2. See last sentence of (1)
3. Here's a saying. Consider using chill mode if tyre wear is of a concern?
4. You can turn off 'always connected'. But as they say a plugged in tesla is a happy tesla - if you keep yours plugged in, what's the issue? For me, my 12.8c/kw rates means that it's difficult to care less about the cost.
5. I absolutely agree with you on this one. Don't like it.
6. Agreed as well, but also see why Tesla has been increasing nag frequency (a few dumb ones ruin it for us all)
7. This is true over very long periods of time (e.g. HW1 vs HW2), but across months/years your car only gets better over time. The former is true of any car, the latter is a Tesla advantage. I just got V9 last week and I'm mega chuffed at how it's just getting slicker and slicker.

1. Blind spot indicators in the mirrors, I have two other cars with these and it just works better than looking at the dash.
2. On screen notification of text messages and read out text messages (again, used to this in other vehicles I have).
3. Stability in the media system before gimmicks (constant resets shouldn't need to happen).
4. Surround camera view when parking.
5. More technical details about the car available in the dash display.
6. The ability to mess with the car (every car I've owned has been modified).

1. Yeah, I agree. Though I was taught 'back in driving school' that you should - you know - use your head to manually check. I do it even with the V9 update showing me blind spot vehicles
2. I must say I've never actually felt the need for this feature - no SMS is that important and if it were, I'd get called. But yeah, I imagine it'd be a nice to have if I had it.
3. What model year was your car? I've had maybe two occasions in 9 months of ownership where I've had to reboot the MCU due to such niggles.
4. Agreed this would be nice.
5. Technical details such as...?
6. Messing with a vehicle that has a high-capacity battery? Oh man...time to sign some waivers :')

I'll add two gripes of my own though: I don't like how there are still rattles in the car 'even though' mine is 'already' a 2018 model year. I can't imagine how bad some of the earlier ones must have been/are.

I can live with it as I play music 99% of the time but when not, it can be a somewhat annoying experience.

The second gripe is that I only wish we bought ours after the MCU refresh. Having driven on some 75D loaners with the new MCU is night and day; Android 1.0 vs 7.0; greased lightning vs sawing wood. I look forward to one day being able to swap mine out. If I can.

@100KWH my S is a late (August 2015 build, original nose but a Gen 2) and I had a number of rattles that I am OCD about....Luke from Tesla Richmond fixed them all...now I don't have any rattles, squeaks, rubbing etc. at all.....my wife's April'ish build Model X has a number of rattles so I'll be back to Tesla to have these fixed in due course, however due to previous experience I am confident Tesla will addressed those rattles.