Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Soon to be a new Model S owner in Melbourne, suggestions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all :)

Car is due at the end of Feb (it's currently on a boat somewhere, any way to track that?), so I need to start thinking about insurance and getting my charger installed. I've emailed a couple of the Tesla recommended installers and am waiting back on quotes, and I'm going to start getting insurance quotes soon (starting with Insuremytesla, am I right in thinking they offer the first year free or something weird like that?), but would be good to hear suggestions and do's/don'ts from fellow Aussie owners!

1) Spend extra time at the petrol station, soaking up the smell
2) Turn the radio off in your current vehicle, appreciate the noise and vibration
3) When driving on the freeways, stare straight ahead and make constant micro adjustments
4) Turn the radio back on and listen to the advertisements

Apart from those unpleasant tasks, complete the tasks you've already got planned, and sit back and smile - you've got some fun ahead!

Hey all :)

Car is due at the end of Feb (it's currently on a boat somewhere, any way to track that?), so I need to start thinking about insurance and getting my charger installed. I've emailed a couple of the Tesla recommended installers and am waiting back on quotes, and I'm going to start getting insurance quotes soon (starting with Insuremytesla, am I right in thinking they offer the first year free or something weird like that?), but would be good to hear suggestions and do's/don'ts from fellow Aussie owners!
First, tell us which city you are in and what model car you are expecting.

• Funny
Reactions: Shock-On-T
Just make sure you shop around for insurance. The Teslas are still new enough that some insurers don't know what to charge to tend to quote high.
I was able to get a pretty good deal through QBE.
As for the HPWC installation, it's really easy (I've done two myself).
Pretty much any electrician would be fine, but again they might over-quote due to the newness (and they think you're loaded). Ask your Tesla store for some names, or just get a few quotes.

And lastly, WELCOME to the club!

Congratulation Hansel,
Its a bloody big leap of faith (& money) for many to step in to a Tesla. Was for me too way back when it all started in Australia.
I'm in Melbourne so you contact me directly if you like. I have just upgraded to 100D having knocked up just short of 90,000Kms on my original Model S 85 - brilliant run and totally addictive performance.
The fact that in that time Ive had very few issues was such a welcome change from my older fleet cars with the seemingly almost constant swapping out my staffs cars for services etc. Its just a pure pleasure to step in to your BEAST each day- full tank no petrol stations no fumes no hassle eco friendly super reliable and a true super car to boot.( or is that frunk:)).
Welcome to Automotive Royalty!
Regards
Keiron

Hey all :)I'm going to start getting insurance quotes soon (starting with Insuremytesla, am I right in thinking they offer the first year free or something weird like that?), but would be good to hear suggestions and do's/don'ts from fellow Aussie owners!
Good to know, i would like to hear the premium for a daily driver.

Honestly I would of got quotes before buying the car. I had to write off a few cars off the list because the insurance was insane.

Hi Hansel, great news! It’s certainly exciting.
My X took about 6 weeks to arrive in Melbourne after the status had changed.
On the insurance side, I had quotes from insuremytesla for $3.2k and RACV for $2.1k so went with the latter. As I’d taken most options, I had to go through to the underwriters to have the total cost covered with RACV. Insuremytesla can package your first year insurance cost Into a lease - so it might appear free in this scenario :)