Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sound Deadening Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed the front wheel well liners, and they're the same fabric as the rear. It's not cotton, that's just some bad chinese translating. They might make a tiny bit of improvement, but it's impossible to say objectively. Totally easy to install. I made a thread a while ago. I'd do it again. If you could put some thinsulate in-between the outer plastic and the inner fabric liners, that might be the ideal solution. Then again, it seems that others have found the biggest benefit in insulating the rear wheel wells.
IMG_3572.jpg

I installed the front wheel well liners, and they're the same fabric as the rear. It's not cotton, that's just some bad chinese translating. They might make a tiny bit of improvement, but it's impossible to say objectively. Totally easy to install. I made a thread a while ago. I'd do it again. If you could put some thinsulate in-between the outer plastic and the inner fabric liners, that might be the ideal solution. Then again, it seems that others have found the biggest benefit in insulating the rear wheel wells.
View attachment 478355
Found his thread in his post history to save others the work if they want to check it out too: Installed my wheel arch liner

• Informative
Reactions: yxm3
Right where that beige arm meets the black triangle, there seem to be some rubber bushings. Any more elastic bushings we could add there to decouple vibration? Is there an axle as well behind the brake rotor?

Where are there complete photos and exploded drawings of the whole machine?

Has anyone confirmed that the current M3 production is actually quieter as Elon stated? Also, what are the perceptions of those that own both the S & 3 in terms of relative quietness?

I don't "own" squat. The bank owns my Model 3 and the Model S was a 10 day loaner. But my impression was that the S is more cocoonesque all around, quieter yes, more cabin padding, more like your parents' car. The Model 3 has more direct steering, stiffer non-adjustable suspension, more road noise seems inevitable. To add insult to injury, the S had zero automation. I couldn't wait to get my Krazy AI Go-Kart Model 3 back.

• Informative
Reactions: Ken7
View attachment 478355

Do you think the screws would be long enough if you put thinsulate in between liners?

Do you think the screws would be long enough if you put thinsulate in between liners?
Don't think so. The included fasteners are longer, but you'd have to squish it all together to get it to fasten, and squishing the thinsulate kind of defeats the purpose, no?

Here's a pic of the included fasteners, sorry I didn't put the old ones in for comparison.
IMG_3569.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: RBowen and yxm3
I have struggled with excess road noise since December 2017, M3. I added acoustic absorbing panels, front and rear, Acoustic absorbing materials, front and rear, added multiple weather striping, and all helped a bit. Last week i bought two rear OEM 18" michelin tires, and discovered the original tires were defective, resulting in significant noise from the rear. My new Michelins are exactly the same model, but actually QUITE! I asked Tesla to warranty the other two original tires (I think they are aware the early tires were bad), they declined but offered free labor for other non-tire related, maintenance/service... I have not recommend a M3 to any person that was interested in a Tesla, due solely to the poor ride / noise problem. It is difficult for me to understand why Tesla was ararw of this problem, but never issued a service bulletin or tire recall...

• Informative
Reactions: RBowen
I have struggled with excess road noise since December 2017, M3. I added acoustic absorbing panels, front and rear, Acoustic absorbing materials, front and rear, added multiple weather striping, and all helped a bit. Last week i bought two rear OEM 18" michelin tires, and discovered the original tires were defective, resulting in significant noise from the rear. My new Michelins are exactly the same model, but actually QUITE! I asked Tesla to warranty the other two original tires (I think they are aware the early tires were bad), they declined but offered free labor for other non-tire related, maintenance/service... I have not recommend a M3 to any person that was interested in a Tesla, due solely to the poor ride / noise problem. It is difficult for me to understand why Tesla was ararw of this problem, but never issued a service bulletin or tire recall...

I worked in a tire/lube shop many years ago. Noisy tires have been a thing on cars for decades. You can get differences in noise level even from one batch of the same model tire to the next. I had a very custom VW Jetta back then and went through about 4 different tire sets ( brand/model) before I found a set that didn't give me excessive road noise. Doesn't necessarily mean there was anything wrong with the tires

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy

Automakers don't warranty tires - tire manufacturers do. Have your tire shop contact Michelin and they may be willing to help out.

Since yours was a December 2017 car, it would have come with the earliest (i.e. too stiff) suspension (which I think was discontinued by Tesla around 12/27. Did you ever get Tesla to retrofit it to the later, somewhat softer, suspension (which they were doing for free)?

I worked in a tire/lube shop many years ago. Noisy tires have been a thing on cars for decades. You can get differences in noise level even from one batch of the same model tire to the next. I had a very custom VW Jetta back then and went through about 4 different tire sets ( brand/model) before I found a set that didn't give me excessive road noise. Doesn't necessarily mean there was anything wrong with the tires

This ^^^

I had a Cadillac before the model 3, also have a 2019 Ram and 2014 Vette. The model 3 is just as, if not quieter then my Cadillac, the truck is a bit louder, bigger tires and the Vette is much louder, all due to tires. My Cadillac would get louder as the tires wore, when I first bought it, it was loud. I went 20k on the original tires and couldn’t deal with the noise any longer so I took it to a tire shop, they found the two back tires had broken belts, once replaced it made a HUGE difference. I think some may be having the same problem. On smooth blacktop my model 3 is whisper quiet, on rough surfaces it is louder but that’s to be expected.

No I mean.. is there any real noise reduction by foaming yourself the inside of any tire of choice?
No the majority of the noise is the characteristics of the rubber. The rubber contacts and transmits the vibrations directly to the wheel which is directly attached to the car. What makes the sound more or less annoying ( louder or quieter) is a byproduct of the tread pattern and the material characteristics of the rubber/tire belts themselves. If this creates a vibration frequency by it's interaction with the particular roads you drive on/or amplified by other vibrations of the vehicle it tends to be loud and annoying. The best thing you can do is try another tire brand or a tire with a different tread pattern. Ya some foam inside may cancel out some reverberation inside but this is minor compared to other factors and probably not a good idea to do yourself due to things like risk of un-balancing the mass of the tire

View attachment 478355
Was this liner mounted over the existing plastic or in place of it?