TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Sound isolation somewhat lacking for music and Bluetooth calls

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by SamGarber, Dec 5, 2013.

Tags:
  1. SamGarber

SamGarber S85 "Whale Shark"

Half of my time spent in the MS I listen to Slacker and the other half I spend on conference calls for my job. In both cases, unless I am driving down the highway I keep my volume to 4-5 so I can hear comfortably. When I am parked I have had several people observe that they can hear the music and my conversations on the speakers very clearly even not standing right next to the car. Kind of disappointing since I now have to be worried about people around that might listen in to something I am saying while parked and on Bluetooth (a situation that is very common). I am quite surprised at this since the outside in sound isolation is great - not a lot of road noise relatively. But the reverse is not true at all.

Anyone else out there notice this?

2. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I've only had the car a few weeks, but I've found that there's quite a lot of road noise relative to the competition. Noise deadening is heavy, so they probably skimped on it to save weight in an already-heavy car. It just seems quiet inside because there's no gas engine, but if you hop in an upscale Mercedes, for example, it's much quieter unless the engine's really working.

You can hear the music quite far away in mine, so I'm sure the same is true for phone conversations.

3. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Member

Yea the noise deadening sucks in the MS. I had a 2008 MDX with cheapo tires before this and it was much more quiet on the hwy... I have to turn up the music in the S over the road noise when I'm listening to music. When I park, leave the car, then come back the music is blaring and it always catches me off guard

4. N4HHE

N4HHE Member

I saw pictures of a project somewhere fitting sound deadening material to a Model S. Possibly with an aftermarket sound system?

5. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Huh... I recently rode a lot in a 2012 Lexus SUV and it was quite a bit noisier inside than my Model S.

6. SamGarber

SamGarber S85 "Whale Shark"

I don't find the outside in noise to be a problem. It's the reverse.