TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Southern California to Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by insaneoctane, Jul 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Member

With a 215 mile base vehicle (I know that it may come in higher), the trip to Vegas is the most likely trip that I would take using the supercharger network. It's a 300 mile trip for me. Everything I have read is that the Barstow SC can get busy. It is natural for *a lot* of southern Californians to go to vegas on Fridays and they all come home on Sunday. This is a situation where the very busy times seemingly can easily saturate the SC network. With hundreds of thousands of M3 on their way, the Tesla fleet is literally doubling and even more... I really would not want to wait hours just to wait for a charge and am concerned. I guess I could take a gas vehicle (environment be damned).. Any insight on this?

2. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

• Like x 5
    • Informative x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  3. computerchuck

computerchuck Member

Looks like the worst part will be in Barstow. Once you get past there, you should be fine.

See:
    EV Trip Planner

4. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

Natural is not a word that readily comes to mind when Las Vegas is mentioned.

Or Los Angeles, for that matter. I flew into LAX last week and looked at square mile after square mile of concrete and asphalt and no green while flying over the city. How do people breathe there ?

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
  5. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Member

6. RubberToe

RubberToe Supporting the greater good

Lots of Teslas on the road, and more coming, lots more! ;)

7. WARP 10

WARP 10 Member

One more reason I never go to Vegas on a Friday or come back on a Sunday. Traffic alone can increase the length of the trip by 50%.

• Like x 1
  8. nd4spd569

nd4spd569 Member

Agreed with warp last two times was Thursday to Saturday. Great traffic (none)

9. McRat

McRat Active Member

Actually, there is an Unhealthy Ozone Alert today for Denver, Colorado, but a Moderate Air Quality for Los Angeles. Check with the EPA.

Unlike Television and Movies, most of California is mountains, forests, and deserts, not palm trees and freeways. Highest point in the lower 48 is in California. And the hottest place on earth is in California. And the world's biggest trees. I think Colorado has the cheapest dope? Pike's Peak was nice until they paved it.

• Like x 1
  10. JonathanD

JonathanD Member

I've not been tempted to try this drive, imho it's just not enjoyable even if the SCs are not busy. Flights on Southwest are cheap and quick.

• Informative x 1
  11. rckybbby

rckybbby Member

The new and expanded superchargers will help a lot.

I do wonder if all cars were Teslas or similar EVs, how many supercharging stalls in a town like Baker would we need? Even at this early stage of EV adoption there are 5 gas stations there and soon to be 1 gas-station-sized Supercharger. Are we going to see little towns like Baker getting enough EV stalls to fill a Wal Mart sized lot? I'm sure the answer exists on a napkin on Elon's desk.

12. ChargePoint

ChargePoint Vendor

For those who have made the trip, which trip planners do you like the best (or are you using any at all)?
    We do offer a station map on the ChargePoint app, so I'm curious about what features for planning you find most helpful for these longer trips. :)

13. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Member

Judging from history, Tesla's planning is ahead of the curve, with execution being just behind the need, but only in rare, isolated areas, where the Superchargers are often clogged up with locals or livery drivers.

Just like gasoline, there will always be isolated areas where you might find yourself running on empty, however, remember that you can always get a trickle of a charge most anywhere on 110v or a camp site with faster 220v plug in charging available. Reports of owners getting creative and pulling into Welding business or anywhere else where high current is available in the normal course of business.

A commonly suggested solution is for most communities to provide plug ins at most every lamp post. Cost would be minimal, and allow all EV's to get enough to get by when in the normal course of their driving around.

14. gabeincal

gabeincal Enjoying Napa life the electric way

I still don't see why would anyone want to go to Vegas (especially if they have been before)...

15. ChargePoint

ChargePoint Vendor

I also wanted to add that our ChargePoint app can also help you find stations along your route, and you can filter by availability, cost and charging type (Level 2, DC fast and Tesla).

It’s not completely clear what the Model 3 charging capabilities will be yet, though we expect some ability to charge on non-Tesla DC fast chargers, since current Teslas can already charge on CHAdeMO chargers (with an adapter). ChargePoint fast charging stations deliver about 200 miles of Range Per Hour, and our Level 2 stations deliver about 25 miles of Range Per Hour.

So, if you’re planning to charge around hotels or popular attractions, ChargePoint Level 2 chargers can be used with Teslas and will give you more options along your route. You’ll need an adapter for these too.

16. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

To see Cirque du Soleil?

• Like x 2
  17. smak

smak Member

How many miles of electricity do you need to get the 180 miles to Baker?

18. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

I don't know the point of the "Vegas sucks commentary - who wants to go there?" - but as far as charging goes:

To Vegas

Stopped in Barstow, only one other Tesla.

Stopped on Primm. No other Teslas.

Going Home

Stopped in Primm. No other Tesla's.

Stopped in Barstow, only one other Tesla.

---

Sounds like capacity will be addressed, and you will have your choice of stops.

Rated range will not be actual range. Drive fast, drive up hill, and drive against winds will reduce the 215+.

You'll have enough to get to a supercharger so that won't be a concern.

19. gabeincal

gabeincal Enjoying Napa life the electric way

Valid point. Pretty much the only valid point that one can bring up :)