Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Southern California to Las Vegas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With a 215 mile base vehicle (I know that it may come in higher), the trip to Vegas is the most likely trip that I would take using the supercharger network. It's a 300 mile trip for me. Everything I have read is that the Barstow SC can get busy. It is natural for *a lot* of southern Californians to go to vegas on Fridays and they all come home on Sunday. This is a situation where the very busy times seemingly can easily saturate the SC network. With hundreds of thousands of M3 on their way, the Tesla fleet is literally doubling and even more... I really would not want to wait hours just to wait for a charge and am concerned. I guess I could take a gas vehicle (environment be damned).. Any insight on this?

It is natural for *a lot* of southern Californians to go to vegas
Natural is not a word that readily comes to mind when Las Vegas is mentioned.

Or Los Angeles, for that matter. I flew into LAX last week and looked at square mile after square mile of concrete and asphalt and no green while flying over the city. How do people breathe there ?

Natural is not a word that readily comes to mind when Las Vegas is mentioned.

Or Los Angeles, for that matter. I flew into LAX last week and looked at square mile after square mile of concrete and asphalt and no green while flying over the city. How do people breathe there ?

Actually, there is an Unhealthy Ozone Alert today for Denver, Colorado, but a Moderate Air Quality for Los Angeles. Check with the EPA.

Unlike Television and Movies, most of California is mountains, forests, and deserts, not palm trees and freeways. Highest point in the lower 48 is in California. And the hottest place on earth is in California. And the world's biggest trees. I think Colorado has the cheapest dope? Pike's Peak was nice until they paved it.

Reactions: DR61
The new and expanded superchargers will help a lot.

I do wonder if all cars were Teslas or similar EVs, how many supercharging stalls in a town like Baker would we need? Even at this early stage of EV adoption there are 5 gas stations there and soon to be 1 gas-station-sized Supercharger. Are we going to see little towns like Baker getting enough EV stalls to fill a Wal Mart sized lot? I'm sure the answer exists on a napkin on Elon's desk.

For those who have made the trip, which trip planners do you like the best (or are you using any at all)?
We do offer a station map on the ChargePoint app, so I'm curious about what features for planning you find most helpful for these longer trips. :)

Judging from history, Tesla's planning is ahead of the curve, with execution being just behind the need, but only in rare, isolated areas, where the Superchargers are often clogged up with locals or livery drivers.

Just like gasoline, there will always be isolated areas where you might find yourself running on empty, however, remember that you can always get a trickle of a charge most anywhere on 110v or a camp site with faster 220v plug in charging available. Reports of owners getting creative and pulling into Welding business or anywhere else where high current is available in the normal course of business.

A commonly suggested solution is for most communities to provide plug ins at most every lamp post. Cost would be minimal, and allow all EV's to get enough to get by when in the normal course of their driving around.

I also wanted to add that our ChargePoint app can also help you find stations along your route, and you can filter by availability, cost and charging type (Level 2, DC fast and Tesla).

It’s not completely clear what the Model 3 charging capabilities will be yet, though we expect some ability to charge on non-Tesla DC fast chargers, since current Teslas can already charge on CHAdeMO chargers (with an adapter). ChargePoint fast charging stations deliver about 200 miles of Range Per Hour, and our Level 2 stations deliver about 25 miles of Range Per Hour.

So, if you’re planning to charge around hotels or popular attractions, ChargePoint Level 2 chargers can be used with Teslas and will give you more options along your route. You’ll need an adapter for these too.

I don't know the point of the "Vegas sucks commentary - who wants to go there?" - but as far as charging goes:

To Vegas

Stopped in Barstow, only one other Tesla.

Stopped on Primm. No other Teslas.

Going Home

Stopped in Primm. No other Tesla's.

Stopped in Barstow, only one other Tesla.

---

Sounds like capacity will be addressed, and you will have your choice of stops.

Rated range will not be actual range. Drive fast, drive up hill, and drive against winds will reduce the 215+.

You'll have enough to get to a supercharger so that won't be a concern.

I'm a native Northern Californian and have spent a lot of time in that beautiful part of the world, including Napa. I know this is a Tesla forum but I'd like to chime in with a few words about my home of choice for the last 40+ years. As a new Model 3 owner and an EV owner for the last seven years, hopefully I qualify!

Las Vegas (never "Vegas" to us locals), is full of wonderful people, many of whom care deeply about our community and the environment. We are surrounded by incredibly beautiful natural landscapes, from high-alpine forests with Bristlecone Pines that are thousands of years old, to winding red rock canyons full of hidden treasures of biodiversity. There are lots of outdoor recreational opportunities in every direction, from hiking and boating to world-class climbing and mountain biking. Las Vegas is close to Zion National Park and not far from the Grand Canyon either. We can swim in Lake Mead and snow ski on Mt. Charleston, often in the same day if we choose to.

"The Strip" is avoided by many locals, but it's there when we want some world-class entertainment or fine dining. For those who are vegan, Las Vegas has actually become an especially delightful destination, with many vegan and vegetarian options to choose from.

Las Vegas was named by the Spanish, after the original meadows in the midst of a dry valley, made possible by natural springs fed by the
Spring Mountains to the west (with peaks nearing 12,000 ft).

We have nice, shaded superchargers downtown, more in the south part of the valley at a major shopping / dining destination, and new superchargers at Railroad Pass near Boulder City on the way to Arizona. There's an abundance of Tesla owners here, and we love living, and especially driving, in the beautiful Mojave Desert.

To each his own...

Man, I LOVE driving the Model 3!! Now, if that latest firmware update would just show up...

Attachments

• Model 3 - Red Rock Canyon - Las Vegas.jpg
    Model 3 - Red Rock Canyon - Las Vegas.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 63