Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Speculation] Production 18" Wheels without Aero Cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I couldn't wait, so I photoshop'd the 18" onto a blue M3 photo....
Pictures of production Model 3s

blue-m3-with-18-dark-grey-png.241641

Do this on midnight silver and the internet will lose its mind.

Can we please stop the theorizing? Just look, they are NOT the rims you get when you remove the plastic in the Aero wheels...

I was shocked when I saw this this morning: Tesla Model 3’s aero wheels look awesome without their aero caps

They even put the two styles next to each other and said the were the same:

screen-shot-2017-08-14-at-10-12-54-pm-e1502763346882.png
8-ntbm34v-e1502763365967.png

Standing down from soap box

-Randy

I would still like to see Tesla give us some efficiency data with the aero wheels vs sport. I'd even like so see how aero covers on vs covers off influences range but I'm not sure we will get that from them.

I hope they have some interactive range calculator soon like they do for the S on the site where you can choose wheels, speed, temp etc and see how range is influenced.

If you do mostly city, low speed driving, it may save you some range, depending, on how heavy the covers are.

Not sure why folks are talking about 'included' and assuming that the wheels are nicely finished. I see no reason for Tesla to finish the underlying wheels nicely. Seems to me like this employee saved himself $1500 and then spent a few bucks on powder coating the wheels and getting center caps. Still very helpful to us all because this looks nice, and folks can probably just plastic-dip the unfinished wheels and get center caps for <100 bucks.
If you compare the pictures of the 18" wheel with aero cover on and off, you see that the "T" in the center cap always points to the valve. This leads me to believe it's the same center cap and wheel in the 2 pictures, and the cap goes onto the wheel in a very repeatable way, maybe screwed on.

Reactions: tracksyde
If you compare the pictures of the 18" wheel with aero cover on and off, you see that the "T" in the center cap always points to the valve. This leads me to believe it's the same center cap and wheel in the 2 pictures, and the cap goes onto the wheel in a very repeatable way, maybe screwed on.

Elektrek is saying that the center cap and lug nut covers are NOT included.

If they aren't the same, then what's the reason for the valve stem not being centered in the opening? I can't say I've ever seen that on a wheel before. Conveniently the wheel cover lines up with it being off center.

Can we please stop the theorizing? Just look, they are NOT the rims you get when you remove the plastic in the Aero wheels...

I was shocked when I saw this this morning: Tesla Model 3’s aero wheels look awesome without their aero caps

They even put the two styles next to each other and said the were the same:

screen-shot-2017-08-14-at-10-12-54-pm-e1502763346882.png
8-ntbm34v-e1502763365967.png

Standing down from soap box

-Randy

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
I'll get the upgraded 20"'s whenever I can regardless but now I'll do the 18"'s for the base set as well

For a crazy road trip I'll put the covers on, likely a 5-10 mile range boost

It's fun to switch out wheels once in a while, gives the car a different feel and spices it up!

If this is confirmed, I will definitely order aero wheels. Not sure why some keep saying about wanting 18 inch for comfort, 18-19 inch does not make a huge difference and mostly is the sidewall height of the tire gives comfort, coming from an ex-mechanic. For me, I prefer 18 inch due to cost of replacing tires

If this is confirmed, I will definitely order aero wheels. Not sure why some keep saying about wanting 18 inch for comfort, 18-19 inch does not make a huge difference and mostly is the sidewall height of the tire gives comfort, coming from an ex-mechanic. For me, I prefer 18 inch due to cost of replacing tires

It actually makes quite a perceptible difference for the reason you provide. Within the same overall circumference/diameter, the changing aspect ratio of a 19" versus 18" tire changes the sidewall height, which provides impact absorption before the force reaches the solid wheel, and is transmitted into the suspension, and then the body.

Of course, like everyone else, I am hoping this is real. But what I really want to know is how easy these are going to be to come on and off. First, of course, you want it to be easy enough where it's not a permanent thing, but on the other hand you don't want it so easy anyone can see a Model 3 parked and walk off with your Aeros! lol. We need to see a video of these going on and off.

I don't know how to have any more hints other than a confirmation from Tesla.... What better explanation do you have for these bumps that happen to make a perfect mounting surface for something exactly like an aero cover? Zoom in on the original image and offer a better explanation....
View attachment 241845
Witchcraft