Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed Assist and Lane Departure Warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMO...
If you're unhappy about (a), you have a legitimate beef that you should discuss with ownership@. If "those other people" are unhappy about (b), they have a legitimate beef that they can discuss with ownership@.
If you're unhappy about (b), you do not have a legitimate beef.

Parable of the Workers in the Vineyard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tesla had language about battery size back when. It said something like "order the configuration you want, rather than hoping for upgrades later".

If you put in your order for something, and got something different that is undesirable to you -- then don't take delivery.

If you put in your order for something, and got exactly what you asked for then you have no right to complain -- regardless of what anyone else on the planet ordered or got.

You're missing the whole point of my post. You're 100% right. But it doesn't matter for those of us in this situation. It still sours the moment.

Your first sentence has nothing to do with your 2nd and 3rd sentences. While life is sometimes inconvenient, there's nothing "unfair" here.

I disagree and believe you are wrong in the purest interpretation of the term fair, as in equitable. Two people ordering the exact same options on the exact same day for the exact same price...one person gets the extra goodies and the other doesn't. That is by definition not fair.

I don't think there has been any sort of "wronging", but I don't see how you can argue complete fairness...having said that, I am not interested in debating it.

@breser
No clue how you so casually jump to that conclusion.

It was completely clear during the lead up to my delivery that everything was being done in order to deliver as many cars as fast as possible in September, even if that meant throwing basic customer service out the window. It's pretty clear they prioritized cars that were close to the factory which meant delivery locations that were closest to the factory were completely overwhelmed. The only reason to do that is to make your numbers look good for Wall Street.

I'm of the opinion that a truly customer service oriented company would never have done that. They would have spread the cars out around the country/world such that they could still provide the best possible delivery experience. That might mean they wouldn't meet their numbers, but it would be better for the company since they'd be giving a better customer experience.

But this is veering off the subject at hand.

Trimmed for brevity:
It was completely clear during the lead up to my delivery that everything was being done in order to deliver as many cars as fast as possible in September, even if that meant throwing basic customer service out the window. It's pretty clear they prioritized cars that were close to the factory which meant delivery locations that were closest to the factory were completely overwhelmed. The only reason to do that is to make your numbers look good for Wall Street.

Ah. Thanks for the clarification. I thought you were referring to the "feature evolution" not the service/delivery experience. Much clearer now. Cheers.

You're missing the whole point of my post. You're 100% right. But it doesn't matter for those of us in this situation. It still sours the moment.

Did you get less than someone who ordered around the same time as you? Yes but you got the features you ordered. Right? The the stocks being no longer reversed bothers you then speak with service. Maybe they can get you the old version.

Your example of a date where features is advertised still brings up a problem. Tesla's manufacturing isn't linear. Cars get batched and moved around to some degree. They would have to halt production for some period of time for these types of changes.

Tesla does need to improve rebr communication. No doubt. And the rush to fill orders at the end of the quarter also snagged you it seems.

We will have to break this discussion out.

Close to /unsubscribe this thread because it is so OT. Mods can we create an "Unhappy with the features I never received that I neither paid for or knew about" thread and move posts there that are not talking about the actual features in question?

I didn't get red brake calipers, Alcantara headliner, folding mirrors or CF spoiler. Missed the changes by a week. Absolutely love my car regardless because I got >= what I expected and paid for at delivery. If you don't forget about these things when you press the GO pedal or admire the lines of the car I expect you wouldn't be happy even if you got these new features for free.

Your example of a date where features is advertised still brings up a problem. Tesla's manufacturing isn't linear. Cars get batched and moved around to some degree. They would have to halt production for some period of time for these types of changes.

I don't believe they'd have to halt production at all. They'd know exactly how many cars they had confirmed when they hit the switch. At worst they could stop vehicles from moving into confirmed briefly. The only difference is they're playing with the logistics in the the order queue as opposed to playing with them in the production queue. Apple famously had a huge inventory problem due to these types of changes and solved it. They manage to basically have zero inventory of the old version when they announce new versions. Tesla has it easier than Apple to the degree that they don't have retail outlets selling premade products while having it harder because the car is a more complicated piece of manufacturing logistics. Wouldn't necessarily be easy to solve, but I think they're going to have to solve this if they want to use this upgrade model.

ACDriver: Completely agree. The only people that could conceivably have a gripe are the ones that say: I did NOT order those features and you put them on my car...I wanted smooth body panels, not ones with small 'eyes' on them or that 'ugly' radar thingy on the front grill.

I've removed the attribution (and added the second, modified quote) because I want to make two general points:
I think they're going to have to solve this if they want to use this upgrade model.
I think they're going to have to solve this for Model 3.
Ok, I'll put it out there....
I don't think Tesla has to change anything about their current philosophy, servicing, warranty, distribution model, etc. until at least 2019. They have so much demand and pending demand once a functioning Model 3 demo is unveiled that they don't need to address the things we find annoying and troublesome. Only legal and political battles are in the way. Consumer demand will smooth over a lot of the mistakes they've made and might continue to make.

Can they improve? Definitely. In many ways. Do they need to? No. They just need to design, build, and deliver Model S caliber vehicles in a different form factor with slightly newer tech. That's it.

The whole experience after I confirmed my car till I received the car was pretty miserable. My DS wouldn't return my calls, I had to chase them the very few times I needed to talk to them. The last time I spoke to my DS he said that the delivery was on schedule but that it might be delivered a day late. Never heard from him after, had to call (the service center, because again my DS wasn't answering the phone) an hour before my delivery to find out I'd be picking up the car. At delivery they knew nothing about the sensors at all. I'm explaining this because quite frankly, the communication was pretty bad on the part of Tesla leading up to the delivery.

No, the communication was pretty bad on the part of the DS assigned to you, not Tesla as a whole.

When it became apparent early on that this person wasn't doing their job well, did you ask to speak to their supervisor? Did you send in a formal complaint? Did you request a new DS? Did you ask this person straight up why they were being so difficult? Sometimes bad employees slip through especially when a company is growing as quickly as Tesla and sometimes people aren't aware they're doing badly. If you said nothing, then HR has no chance to make it better and the DS is unaware how badly they're doing.

In the end, happy, satisfied people are no more an accident than unhappy, unsatisfied people are an accident. We either take control and responsibility for our own experiences or we let someone else.

Enjoy your car!

Krugerrand put it a bit more sharply than I would, but I'd like to say:

Please do give feedback to Tesla about your DS and your overall experience. I want them to improve, and hopefully you do as well.

The car will always get better. For the most part, you're complaining to people that don't even have the features you have on YOUR car. But don't worry. The people that are getting the "unfair" advantage now will get "screwed" when the next thing comes, and I'm sure we'll hear about it.

See? That didn't take long! Wait a minute, Tesla never told me about the D85 when I ordered!!!

Can they improve? Definitely. In many ways. Do they need to? No. They just need to design, build, and deliver Model S caliber vehicles in a different form factor with slightly newer tech. That's it.

To be honest I find that terribly underwhelming. I thought Elon was aiming to be much more disruptive of the auto market than that.

Please do give feedback to Tesla about your DS and your overall experience. I want them to improve, and hopefully you do as well.

You both can rest assured that Tesla has received feedback about my experience.

- - - Updated - - -

See? That didn't take long! Wait a minute, Tesla never told me about the D85 when I ordered!!!

I think you and I both know the D (whatever it is) has nothing to do with this and won't be given to anyone that doesn't order it.

I for one am curious if this is going to result in a hike in prices. Naturally that wouldn't affect those that already ordered, who therefore may get some perks for free (or maybe disabled by software?), but I somewhat expect the upcoming D announcement to include new pricing.

They just delivered my P85+ yesterday with 5.12 (bummer). But I got the lane departure, speed warning and adaptive cruise and they all work quite well, actually. VIN 51086.

Okay, this is the second time I have seen a new owner post that they got Adaptive Cruise Control and it "works".

The first time a few days ago I asked the poster if they had actually tried using the ACC button but don't think they have responded. So now I would like to ask @Tdial if he/she has used the ACC button and found it to be functional.

Last edited:
To be honest I find that terribly underwhelming. I thought Elon was aiming to be much more disruptive of the auto market than that.
I think you misunderstood me. I'm not saying they won't do anything more -- as I believe they definitely will as long as Elon has a say. I'm saying they don't have to, contrary to the "Tesla must do ___" that people keep throwing around.

The parking sensor upgrade is expensive because it requires replacing the front and rear bumpers which is expensive. In this case the most you might have to replace is the rear view mirror if it's really just a camera assuming it uses the existing wiring. Lots of assumptions, but it's within the realm of possibility that this could be a reasonably priced upgrade.
I was rear ended and when pricing the bumper replacement (plus parking sensors) was told wiring harness was the limiting factor, no sensor upgrade for me :-(

The button on the Cruise stalk now enables the cruise control to be selected (little light on the stalk comes on), pushing forward and back turns on and off actual control at what ever speed you had set once it is activated by pushing up or down , which also raises or lowers the set speed. The ACC twist knob does nothing.