Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed Assist and Lane Departure Warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The button on the Cruise stalk now enables the cruise control to be selected (little light on the stalk comes on), pushing forward and back turns on and off actual control at what ever speed you had set once it is activated by pushing up or down , which also raises or lowers the set speed. The ACC twist knob does nothing.

Which means you have the same cruise control as the rest of us just with a different stalk. ACC will probably be activated in future software though...

Okay, this is the second time I have seen a new owner post that they got Adaptive Cruise Control and it "works".

The first time a few days ago I asked the poster if they had actually tried using the ACC button but don't think they have responded. So now I would like to ask @Tdial if he/she has used the ACC button and found it to be functional.

This. Can someone confirm that these new sensors are actually functional?

A member of the Ventura County owners group posted this on Facebook this morning:
"[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]Yes I do have those features. Lane departure works well. Subtle yet effective. Speed assist is great. It tells u speed limit wherever u are. Have not tired adaptive cruise yet."
[/FONT]
[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]So maybe the "D" in Elon's tweet refers to Dual Drive (cars were designed for a front motor with mounting position easily seen on all those bare chassis at Tesla's mall stores), and the "something else" are these driver assist features.
[/FONT]
Screen Shot 2014-10-02 at 10.46.58 AM.png

If the latest cars coming off the line have Speed Assist and Lane Departure Warning as standard, with no additional uplift in selling price, that would suggest that our non-equipped cars just dropped in value. Any thoughts on the dilutive effect of this?

If the latest cars coming off the line have Speed Assist and Lane Departure Warning as standard, with no additional uplift in selling price, that would suggest that our non-equipped cars just dropped in value. Any thoughts on the dilutive effect of this?

Not a lot of resale inventory out there today so I would think the drop in value is not much, if anything at all.

Maybe dropped it by $200. That pales in comparison to the $10k+ drop in value when the car was delivered! :eek:

In Norway, due to a combination of high demand and long delivery time, the resale value is actually higher than when new. This for cars being a year old, and typically 5-10.000 miles.

- - - Updated - - -

This. Can someone confirm that these new sensors are actually functional?

Second that. Can any of you that took delivery lately, with what seems like a front radar installation and new stalks, please get your toolbox and disassemble the car until you find evidence that there is a front radar there, and not just a plastic cover for a future installation? We are many with cars in order for delivery soon, and we really want to know. Tesla dealership is worthless in this respect.

Strange - my P85 Vin is 53xxx and I did not get the new extras. I guess they produced them in batches.

From the very beginning they have not done the VINs in sequence order. Go into the Model S delivery thread and you will find some old posts of people actually taking delivery at the factory (so no transport delay) and having later VINs ready and take delivery before theirs. Specifically the Owner of S44 had some comments about how they were already delivered S8x VINs and he hadn't yet been allowed to go get his car.

For better or worse, VIN issuance doesn't linearly track with the production. This wasn't fully accepted by the community until the Q3/2013 fiasco where people were VIN counting to predict deliveries and was off by about 2000 cars.

Production dates are likely to be the most accurate way to track some of this (although not perfect as determined by the A battery to B and D switch) and I would base this one one when your car *most likely* went through the final assembly line (where these features would likely have been tacked onto the car) which would be almost the end of the build cycle. By my guess that would be around the 19th of Sep. If your car was finished after that date, you likely have the features.

So, anybody looked inside the 'radar' yet? And anybody seen this features/hardware in Europe yet?

In Norway, due to a combination of high demand and long delivery time, the resale value is actually higher than when new. This for cars being a year old, and typically 5-10.000 miles.

- - - Updated - - -

Second that. Can any of you that took delivery lately, with what seems like a front radar installation and new stalks, please get your toolbox and disassemble the car until you find evidence that there is a front radar there, and not just a plastic cover for a future installation? We are many with cars in order for delivery soon, and we really want to know. Tesla dealership is worthless in this respect.

From the very beginning they have not done the VINs in sequence order. Go into the Model S delivery thread and you will find some old posts of people actually taking delivery at the factory (so no transport delay) and having later VINs ready and take delivery before theirs. Specifically the Owner of S44 had some comments about how they were already delivered S8x VINs and he hadn't yet been allowed to go get his car.

For better or worse, VIN issuance doesn't linearly track with the production. This wasn't fully accepted by the community until the Q3/2013 fiasco where people were VIN counting to predict deliveries and was off by about 2000 cars.

Production dates are likely to be the most accurate way to track some of this (although not perfect as determined by the A battery to B and D switch) and I would base this one one when your car *most likely* went through the final assembly line (where these features would likely have been tacked onto the car) which would be almost the end of the build cycle. By my guess that would be around the 19th of Sep. If your car was finished after that date, you likely have the features.

Thanks, my car doesn't have the new features. My delivery date was Sept 25th. Where can I find the actual car production date? In the car, on the website?

So, anybody looked inside the 'radar' yet? And anybody seen this features/hardware in Europe yet?

Andre, given the transport time, cars with the new features will probably not arrive in Europe before early November. Based on the dates mentioned in this thread, the first cars with the features went into production on September 17. If I'm correct, production takes a week and the train and boat trip to Tilburg take around 6 weeks.

I just got a loaner today while they try and sort out the alignment on my car. The loaner has under 200 miles on it and it includes the lane departure and speed limit support. I haven't yet had a chance to try out the lane departure since traffic was rather heavy but I'll try it tonight. The speed support definitely works though.

I predict that those sensors are actually there to support the autopilot features, that Elon will announce next week. I think those cars will be able to do autopilot with a software upgrade.

A camera to read the speed limit signs? That's ridiculous overkill... but to support an autopilot makes much more sense.

I predict that those sensors are actually there to support the autopilot features, that Elon will announce next week. I think those cars will be able to do autopilot with a software upgrade.

A camera to read the speed limit signs? That's ridiculous overkill... but to support an autopilot makes much more sense.

I agree. I just posted this on another thread:

About time to unveil the D and something else - Page 56

That would be my assumption as well. Key supporting evidence: all cars equipped with that camera have additional sensors and switches installed which are not required for the described functionality and not used in any other way we know of.

I think it is clear that Tesla has bigger plans in the driver assistance area for those cars, possibly even fully autonomous driving.
Walter

They just delivered my P85+ yesterday with 5.12 (bummer). But I got the lane departure, speed warning and adaptive cruise and they all work quite well, actually. VIN 51086.

An update: the lane departure works (a little annoying, but not bad). The adaptive cruise does not seem to work. I have only tested it in traffic today. The cruise is fine, the adaptive doesn't seem to do anything at all.

The speed assist works like a charm. Being a new owner, it is very helpful to know when I am way over the limit since the car is so smooth and quiet. I don't find it intrusive at all. A little speed limit sign shows up for about 5 sec where the range gauge is on the instrument panel and then disappears. Very handy.

Last edited: