Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed bumps and FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have noticed that FSD does not seem to notice speed bumps. I have to take control of vehicle every time I come up to one. How are others with FSD dealing with it?
It's been hit and miss for me, but it's always been a case of either the car knows about a speed bump or it doesn't. I assume it's just incomplete route data, like turn on red signs and such.

There should be a way to enter a speed bump so that the car will know in the future. Also the AI needs to be able to see and identify them.
I find it curious that Tesla hasn't used their fleet of camera- and GPS-equipped vehicles to produce their own map data. I assume that there are accelerometers as well, so they could detect stuff like speed bumps and potholes. As I recall, the Model S will adjust its suspension based on the roughness of the road, and that data certainly isn't coming from any map database that I know of. Perhaps this is one more in a long list of innovations that Tesla just hasn't been able to get around to. I've had the matrix headlamps for the past year and there's not so much as a rumor of software to drive those.

There should be a way to enter a speed bump so that the car will know in the future. Also the AI needs to be able to see and identify them.
It does "see and identify" Speed Bumps. Unfortunately it is just hit and (a lot of) miss. Not sure how long you have had Beta or your experience you have with Beta but it does work, just not well enough. It used to visualize them so you would know if it correctly identified them or not. However that was removed in he mid V10's for some unknown reason. I'm thinking with the new notices in V11 they could add a "Slowing for Speed Bump" message so we could tell.

One way to avoid a disengagement is have a hand on the speed wheel and if if doesn't slow down dial the wheel down. Thank goodness that was changed to be responsive in 11.x.

I suspect that one day they will spend more time of this and add in other identifiable road conditions like potholes and standing water.

I have noticed that FSD does not seem to notice speed bumps. I have to take control of vehicle every time I come up to one. How are others with FSD dealing with it?
I have RR crossings in my neck of the woods that are problematic for FSD and my solution has been to dial down to the speed as I approach one. It's 50/50 how well it's working for me. Occasionally I let the car just barrel over the crossing at the speed limit in the hopes that the violent bumping will send some random, secret alert to the super-secret Tesla Engineering/Programming Dept that is in a super-secret cave in Antarctica, that they need to add that location to the super-secret map data set. Because GOD FORBID we, the Users, actually have a way to communicate with them.

Reactions: KArnold and JB47394
It's been hit and miss for me, but it's always been a case of either the car knows about a speed bump or it doesn't. I assume it's just incomplete route data, like turn on red signs and such.
Definitely not map data. For any given speed bump in my neighborhood, it will see it about one time out of every ten, and will ignore it completely the other nine times out of ten, give or take.

• Informative
Reactions: DWtsn and JB47394
Here in Albuquerque, there is a particular wide diagonal white stripe speed hump marking present on perhaps 60% of the speed humps. My FSDb experience is that it seems to recognize those about 90% of the time, generally slowing to 17 mph (from a max set at 20 or 25mph). But it misses even those sometimes--especially if the sun position combines with trees to light them poorly. The unpainted speed humps, and the ones marked with uniform white paint it ignores completely. It also seems to ignore or miss parking lot speed bumps nearly all the time.

As to dealing with it, now that FSDb actually slows down at a useful rate for scroll wheel adjustment of max, I just use that when I'm coming to one I suspect it will miss.

I have 7 speed bumps in my sub division. I have to disengage FSD EVERY time. And every time I submit feedback as "Speedbump". 2-3x a day for each speed bump, and have been doing so since 2019. Would be great to know our feedback was being analyzed and actioned on. There are no painted chevrons on the speed bumps, but there are clearly visibily yellow signs for all of them. What good is a neural network of fleet data if it can't be quickly improved upon.

I have 7 speed bumps in my sub division. I have to disengage FSD EVERY time. And every time I submit feedback as "Speedbump". 2-3x a day for each speed bump, and have been doing so since 2019. Would be great to know our feedback was being analyzed and actioned on. There are no painted chevrons on the speed bumps, but there are clearly visibily yellow signs for all of them. What good is a neural network of fleet data if it can't be quickly improved upon.
It's a pain in the behind but probably no chance for improvement in the near term given their hands are full prioritizing the leaking dam of safety issues.