Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify finally coming to US Tesla vehicles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PoitNarf

My dog's breath smells like dog food
Jun 7, 2016
NJ
Not entirely sure what to make of this:

3876B078-2BC4-46D6-BB36-DE9D25B1712B.jpeg

Elon Musk on Twitter

I’ve read speculation that the reason Slacker is the only streaming option in the US is because Tesla signed a 10 year deal with Slacker. The Model S has only been available for 7 years now, so this vague “ok” from Elon is a bit puzzling. Perhaps the is no 10 year contract with Slacker or maybe no exclusivity clause that would prevent adding Spotify or other streaming services?

I’d rather have carplay/Android auto, or at least make the Bluetooth connectivity competent with playlist browsing, messaging, etc.

Could not give less of a crap about Spotify, slacker, or any other music rental service. I have owned content via my phone and audible.com that is accessed in the same way as cars from over a decade ago. Pathetic.

This is why I have a love/hate with Electrek. An entire article built on a totally vague, two letter tweet by Elon. Quality "journalism" there.

No love but only disgusted at how the site had turned into a click bait often with sensational and misleading headlines. Everyone can see those Elon's tweets and make probably more reasonable interpretation than what Electrek could make.

Tesla signed a 10 year deal with Slacker. The Model S has only been available for 7 years now

Hmm. Well, there are any number of things we've waited a long time to actually get. Like the Model 3 itself, for example, or today's CHAdeMO adapter. So maybe in light of the 10-year agreement and 7 years of elapsed time, Elon's "OK" means, "yeah, once the current contract with Slacker expires". That is, in 2022 or so. Pure wild-ass speculation.

Hmm. Well, there are any number of things we've waited a long time to actually get. Like the Model 3 itself, for example, or today's CHAdeMO adapter. So maybe in light of the 10-year agreement and 7 years of elapsed time, Elon's "OK" means, "yeah, once the current contract with Slacker expires". That is, in 2022 or so. Pure wild-ass speculation.
According to Musk there is no exclusivity agreement. Read my previous post #6.

According to Musk there is no exclusivity agreement. Read my previous post #6.

Your post doesn't actually say that, it just says Musk doesn't consider updating music offerings a priority.

Did he ALSO state there's no exclusive contract? Because all previous info is that there absolutely is such a contract (though of unknown duration)

I’d rather have carplay/Android auto, or at least make the Bluetooth connectivity competent with playlist browsing, messaging, etc.

Could not give less of a crap about Spotify, slacker, or any other music rental service. I have owned content via my phone and audible.com that is accessed in the same way as cars from over a decade ago. Pathetic.

Pandora would be nice too. Options are great to have

This is, in part, why AA and AC support would be a great addition. Both already support Spotify, Slacker, Pandora, etc.

Reactions: C141medic
Your post doesn't actually say that, it just says Musk doesn't consider updating music offerings a priority.

Did he ALSO state there's no exclusive contract? Because all previous info is that there absolutely is such a contract (though of unknown duration)
Don't remember the wording and it was Musk simple. But he basically said they could at anytime but it just wasn't a priority. Did you listen to the podcast? It is reportedly Musk's favorite and all Tesla fans should listen to it every week. You can even get it on Tune-In.

EDIT: Just checked and the discussion is at 42 minutes if you want to hear what he said.

Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 1.19.41 PM.png

Last edited:
This is, in part, why AA and AC support would be a great addition. Both already support Spotify, Slacker, Pandora, etc.

Tesla has seemed exceedingly not interested in giving anything else control over its screen.... (and given the amount to which the rest of the car is controlled with it doing so might get tricky...I know you can do "half screen" car play these days, not sure if there's any more granular control over how much space/control of the display it takes up or not though)

But given the car won't even straight up play music from a plugged in phone as if it were a USB device I don't expect actual device mirroring to be a thing anytime soon.

Tesla has seemed exceedingly not interested in giving anything else control over its screen.... (and given the amount to which the rest of the car is controlled with it doing so might get tricky...I know you can do "half screen" car play these days, not sure if there's any more granular control over how much space/control of the display it takes up or not though)

But given the car won't even straight up play music from a plugged in phone as if it were a USB device I don't expect actual device mirroring to be a thing anytime soon.

I know and don't expect Tesla to add AA/AC. It's disappointing and I believe will be a growing disadvantage over time. Besides the paint quality, the infotainment capabilities are the most disappointing part of the car for me.

So odd that he focuses on updating the sketchpad, but can't add real functionality like Spotify. Ugh. I wish I had it, bad.

Totally agree then I started thinking that this is a much bigger migration then a simple sketch pad. The licensing agreement alone make this a very complex transaction. Other examples:
1. Will they allow it over the browser, if so, what's how does that effect the network over all
2. How about the folks like me that didn't get the Premium Interior (didn't see the value) and don't have a browser......will it be a standalone app?
3. Is there a charge to upgrade to premium

You get my point?..........I am 100% with you in that Spotify adds a shi* ton more value than a sketch pad. :)