Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR+ Battery Drain While Driving.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

Had my car for a year a half now. Had to get front upper control arm swapped last week due to extreme squeaking that came out of nowhere. Problem solved. They added air to all 4 tires. Was sitting at 41 PSI cold and 45 PSI hot. They jacked it up to 45-46 cold and I hit 49-50 hot. My understanding is this can increase range but make it a little rougher on the ride, although I find it fine. I also recently updated to 2020.28.5 about a week ago.

Since then my range is horrendous, driving habits haven't changed, sure I step on it here and there but nothing different since last software or before service. I drive about 56 KM ( 34M ) every day and was using about 12% battery. Since the update, no weather differences, no changed driving habits, I'm getting close to 20-25% battery drain while I drive. I never worried about it, I was fine with usage, never really stressed. Watching it drop 1% every 2-3 minutes is questionable.

I don't notice any drastic vampire drain, the norm.

I guess my question here is, has anyone noticed a larger drop in range since the update? I will try a hard reset of the car tomorrow morning. Could the tire pressure affect this? Do I need an alignment?

Keep my battery between 10-90% and temps average from 65-95F from night and day here in Montreal.

First post here, and thanks for anyone helping out!

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Do you park/charge outside?

Your earlier numbers seem almost impossible unless you have a severely wonky battery. 12% on a "new" SR+ battery over 56km implies something like 112Wh/km, which is ludicrously and pretty much impossibly efficient. 20% is more like 185Wh/km, which is now quite a bit more than expected. Can you switch your display to range temporarily and tell us what percent indicates what range remaining?

Can you elaborate on this 56km drive? Is there an elevation change? What speeds? Stop&go, or smooth traffic?

Bad alignment could cause this, but with this amount of impact you'd almost certainly notice the car "feels different" when driving.

Your earlier numbers seem almost impossible unless you have a severely wonky battery. 12% on a "new" SR+ battery over 56km implies something like 112Wh/km, which is ludicrously and pretty much impossibly efficient. 20% is more like 185Wh/km, which is now quite a bit more than expected. Can you switch your display to range temporarily and tell us what percent indicates what range remaining?

Can you elaborate on this 56km drive? Is there an elevation change? What speeds? Stop&go, or smooth traffic?

Bad alignment could cause this, but with this amount of impact you'd almost certainly notice the car "feels different" when driving.

I get 120Wh/KM on mine regularly. 140 Wh/KM on the highway.

• Disagree
Reactions: Murky-Article
I get 120Wh/KM on mine regularly. 140 Wh/KM on the highway.

I'm in an LR AWD so the numbers are a bit higher, but I get about 120 in city and 130 on highway in summer (windows/AC/whatever). Of course, highways aren't exactly super fast around here though. It's the push down to 112 that seems incredibly unlikely to me without outside factors like a net decrease in elevation.

Wow that is really good I'm usually close to 300.

You're comparing Wh/mi and Wh/km. 300Wh/mi is 186Wh/km. I think that's higher than my Winter average!

Car is as smooth as ever, straight drive. No elevation changes and occasional traffic here and there but not really. I would say 70-115 km/h is my speed range. I did get an update last night, got 2020.28.6.

I did a hard reset this morning and it did seem to help. I'm going to monitor it over the next couple days. Thanks

Did not really see much of a change, but didn't really pay attention to it. I will over the next couple days. Thanks
You might also want to consider getting Teslafi if you want to track your car’s data over the long term. It will also help you figure out what other things could be causing the additional power usage.

And 12% of rated range for a 2019 SR+ was about 46 km. If your trips were around 50 km/hr 56km might be possible, e.g. hypermiling

I have seen no change in efficiency since the update, 91% efficiency today for example on 2020.28.6 But AC etc used additional 3% or so of the battery. It’s possible something like cabin overheat conditioning used additional power. With Teslafi tracking it, you could see that more clearly.

I had increased vampire drain after that exact update as well.
Rebooting the car only resolve it for a few hours.

after 3 days, it suddenly fixed itself.
i think there is some background process going on with the car that’s using power.
Similar to how windows used to run defragmentation