Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR+ Heated Rear Seats Paid Upgrade live: $300

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heated sets are one thing since all the cars have the same seats but the audio, foglights, ambient lights are going to be different if they ever get offered up.

Ambient door pocket lights are no longer in all the cars - not in my 2020 SR+ footwell lights are there tho

Fog lights are not all the same - 2020 SR+(maybe before) they look the same but the actual foglight bulb/circuity is not in the housing(if you dont have or never have seen the long white light bar on but the orange marker is on you will never have fogs unless you replace them with actual fogs) and then other countries got just blank panels

Speakers while there are not hooked up and unless you do it yourself they will never work - the wiring isnt ran thru the car for all that

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
$300 appears to be a very solid spot. After I got the reply from Elon about this I posted here creating a poll on interest based in different prices. Approx 40% said they would likely purchase it at $500 and under with a further ~28% considering purchasing it at $500 or less. If almost 70% of owners would either buy it or consider buying it, the price point seems right for the market. I think Tesla did their homework and found a good impulse price for the majority of owners.

I highly doubt we’ll see any other software unlocks between partial and full premium. Audio upgrade requires extensive labor and hardware. Fog lights would be a service visit and additional hardware. Interior lights might be included in all cars but just deactivated, but the price likely would be too low to make it worth being on Tesla’s radar. (Could you imagine a few LEDs being turned on being near the same price as heated seats? That would look bad on Tesla’s part...)

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
$300 appears to be a very solid spot. After I got the reply from Elon about this I posted here creating a poll on interest based in different prices. Approx 40% said they would likely purchase it at $500 and under with a further ~28% considering purchasing it at $500 or less. If almost 70% of owners would either buy it or consider buying it, the price point seems right for the market. I think Tesla did their homework and found a good impulse price for the majority of owners.

I highly doubt we’ll see any other software unlocks between partial and full premium. Audio upgrade requires extensive labor and hardware. Fog lights would be a service visit and additional hardware. Interior lights might be included in all cars but just deactivated, but the price likely would be too low to make it worth being on Tesla’s radar. (Could you imagine a few LEDs being turned on being near the same price as heated seats? That would look bad on Tesla’s part...)

Some of us have the fog lights in the sr which do physically function and would not require a service visit or hardware. I'd pay for fog lights to be unlocked again.

Reactions: GuyDude
As someone who naively bought my SR+ equipped based on bad advice from a SA and thought I was already getting rear heated seats, I was kinda miffed to see that they spent the money on the hardware anyway and it is installed in the car but will cost me even more money to actually use it. For all the cost cutting Tesla does to cram all they can into a car, this makes no sense to me, take away the dead pedal cover but leave the more expensive seats and hope someone pays you for them later. I hate being nickeled and dimed after I spent damn near 50k on a car.

Reactions: GPinzone
As someone who naively bought my SR+ equipped based on bad advice from a SA and thought I was already getting rear heated seats, I was kinda miffed to see that they spent the money on the hardware anyway and it is installed in the car but will cost me even more money to actually use it. For all the cost cutting Tesla does to cram all they can into a car, this makes no sense to me, take away the dead pedal cover but leave the more expensive seats and hope someone pays you for them later. I hate being nickeled and dimed after I spent damn near 50k on a car.
Gotta say: I agree. Personally though I just can’t see the value proposition of adding FSD to anything but an LR and even that’s shaky.

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110

It’s really unfortunate how Tesla handled early specs with the car. But “spent the money for the hardware” might not actually be accurate. Being able to source one or two seats (I’m not sure if Tesla actually covers them in the synthetic leather or if a vendor does) might be cheaper than four (1 black standard, 1 black heated, 1 white standard, 1 white heated).

Tesla might not be at a volume high enough to realize the cost savings in having heated/unheated equipment. This is especially true when there is unclear demand or when the demand for SR/SR+ might be 1/4 of all orders.

It’s really unfortunate how Tesla handled early specs with the car. But “spent the money for the hardware” might not actually be accurate. Being able to source one or two seats (I’m not sure if Tesla actually covers them in the synthetic leather or if a vendor does) might be cheaper than four (1 black standard, 1 black heated, 1 white standard, 1 white heated).

Tesla might not be at a volume high enough to realize the cost savings in having heated/unheated equipment. This is especially true when there is unclear demand or when the demand for SR/SR+ might be 1/4 of all orders.

I understand paying for a software upgrade that required $$$ for development. I get paying for a speed boost or range boot since the original warranty was for the performance of the battery at the time of sale. Paying for a virtual switch to turn on something that already exists and is already a sunk cost as far as hardware is concerned is another thing altogether. The rationale I would give is that the extra heaters would affect range, so they were disallowed. If the $300 "upgrade" comes bundled with a range bump, I could understand.

Thought experiment: If someone installs a bypass for the rear seats to go on whenever the passenger seat is activated, is that considered stealing?

How are you being nickled and dimed? It was never advertised as coming with heated seats in the rear. The SA telling you it had it is unfortunate, but always do your research and read what is advertised as coming with the car (or anything you buy), and this won't happen again. Nobody is forcing you to buy the heated seats.