Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR Not Plus Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is everyone being asked to pay for their SR in full before delivery? I know that was the case in Europe but I thought in the USA everyone paid in full at delivery, not when a VIN was assigned.

SR+ owner here (picked up today) but the website said "pay in full before delivery" 2 hours after we gave them they money. It isn't accurate. You pay when you pick up the car.

No, but that might be an option. In a Tesla FAQ there is mention of a $100/year Internet streaming package coming soon. Probably audio and satellite maps.

is that confirmed?

I’m helping a friend buy an SR. I spoke with sales reps at both Fashion Island and Costa Mesa who confirmed that AP is not included in the $35K price and Tesla is not going to honor the pricing for those orders where it showed as included. It was a typo. They told me that AP added to an SR is $3K at delivery, $4K post purchase. This surprised me as I thought it would be $2K on delivery but apparently not, since somebody else just posted a few minutes ago the same pricing information. This makes the pricing on the SR+ vs SR seem a little more in line.

SR will disable the Enhanced audio software setting, disable the front heated seats, and lock 20 miles of battery. Otherwise it’s the same car as the SR+.

so no $2K AP price confirmed? bummer.

Finally got a VIN for my SR tonight, but the AP pricing is whack. The pricing details reverted it back to $4k CAD but the Order Agreement shows it still as included in the base price. Since the OA reads as a legal document, I'll use that as leverage if they want to charge me $4k.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190413-235905.png
    Screenshot_20190413-235905.png
    93.2 KB · Views: 96
  • Screenshot_20190414-000110.png
    Screenshot_20190414-000110.png
    188.2 KB · Views: 81
Well, no. The guy on the phone this morning just told me they would give me an SR+ and try to software limit it later. I was pleasantly surprised by the power steering wheel and seat adjustments, "premium" seat material, and wood grain on the dash since I had resigned myself to a cheaper interior. Even the glass roof originally was not part of the base build. Autopilot would have been nice to have, but I'm not crazy in to it, so I'm a pretty satisfied customer for the price, despite sacrificing part of the original tax credits and having to wait for three years! (My biggest disappointment was paying $1K delivery for a car that I had to drive to pick up myself. What? Do other car companies do that?)

Maybe autopilot is temporarily enabled on my car now, but I don't even remember how to check. It's clear that Tesla is not including it in the base $35K price. The seat heaters famously will be turned off. Something about the navigation will be limited, although I don't understand exactly what. Presumably the nice map graphics, but I will still have turn-by-turn?

Can they disable the auto steering wheel adjustment? I can't imagine they would limit the auto seat adjustments. I know they can't disable the cell phone charger/stand. I originally feared the base model would not have that, which I though would be pretty tacky.

REAR seat heaters will be turned off, FYI

I will confirm once I pick mine up this week, but everything I saw says front has heat in SR, even in the planned but unrealized cloth variant.

As far as enhanced cruise control AKA "AP" - Nissan now has it on cheap cars. Tesla needed to make it standard, I agree with that move 100%. However they also need to make money. The people who placed orders before the changes were made, but did not receive the car are in a weird flux - the changes would have influenced their decision when ordering, if they knew. So giving AP to the few reservation holders of SR models who just got a VIN after the changes isn't really that crazy. If it's even true.

-All cars offered on the site now include AP
-SR was one of "all cars" offered on the site
-It follows that it should have AP since it is now standard on all cars
-They can't jack up the price on existing agreements

I don't see the "crazy" part. Tesla won't be able to keep AP as an option when plain old Sentras and Camrys will come with it. This move definitely makes sense, and AP "included" for existing reservations isn't insane either. People who paid for SR+ may feel the same way people feel when checking computer/iPhone prices a few months after they bought theirs, sure, but that's how technology works. Early adopters pay off the R&D, stuff gets better and cheaper as time goes on.

I've seen owners of older Model S complain that newer 3s are just as fast without costing 80k and that's somehow unfair to them. It's a bit silly. You're an adult and you bought a product for a price that you felt OK with. When inevitably stuff gets better or comes down in price, you're not entitled to anything. Just enjoy a great product. You were okay with the price then, so how does other people getting it later for a bit less change that?

Reactions: dhanson865
Alex, the FRONT (and rear) heaters will be turned off on the SR. (The heaters are in the seats, but will be software disabled) SR+ has front heaters enabled, but REAR heaters disabled. SR will also have Immersive sound disabled and 20 miles of range disabled. Still not sure what to make of their comment on music streaming and maps since the SR+ doesn't currently have streaming and also doesn't show traffic (although it does supposedly consider traffic when calculating your route). IMHO Tesla hasn't done enough 'crippling' to the SR though, but we haven't seen what this will look like so they might still be working on it. I am struggling on why I shouldn't downgrade if I just lose the heated seats and immersive audio (can crank the charging up to 90% instead of 80% so not really losing any range). $2k back and I can wrap/ceramic coat the car and add a spoiler. Tesla is really hurting themselves by not better differentiating the SR from the SR+ and making me want to keep the +. I think they are going to get a significant number of downgrades unless they limit the SR even more or add a few software goodies to the SR+, and soon...

Reactions: DavidP
Tesla is really hurting themselves by not better differentiating the SR from the SR+ and making me want to keep the +. I think they are going to get a significant number of downgrades unless they limit the SR even more or add a few software goodies to the SR+, and soon...
I suspect they're going to discontinue the SR after not too long and say "see, we offered a $35K car and "nobody" wanted it", similar to what happened w/the 40 kWh Model S. And, thus SR+ will be the minimum.

Taking it off the menu allows a sales droid to upsell folks to SR+. Not having it on the web site means clueless people who want the cheapest version will just pick SR+.

Non-enthusiasts may not be aware of the ability to downgrade from SR+ to SR either... You might be surprised about how unaware or even clueless some folks can be.

Last edited: