Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I cannot believe this.

Picking up at Costa Mesa tomorrow. My trade quote decreased from $7,944 to $6,600 one hour after I submitted a photo of my title. Wth!!! I even rented a car to keep it under 1,000 miles. I know my quote is about a week expired but they made me do it early or it would have delayed my delivery. We all got that email. Last week, sales guy told me not to worry about it either, just keep it under 1,000 miles. These asses and their tricky games.... buyer beware!

I sent an email to DA and Costa Mesa delivery. If they make this right, I'll update this post...in the meantime, I'm pissed.

Oh, and they ran my credit again yesterday....
I would for sure question/fight that one. I did a trade in too and I actually exceeded the 1,000 miles from my original quote. My offer dropped from 18,000 to 17,500. A 1,344 difference is quite a different compared to my 500 exceeding the 1,000 miles when you did not.

I'm been following this thread for a few days - I don't see too many folks with a December order here, and Tesla struggling to even honor Oct orders in a respectable manner.

I ordered on 12/7 (SR+, white, no extras). So far I've been told by my sales agent that I should get the car easily by EOY, but I need to travel in the last couple of days, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to collect.

I have two questions - would really appreciate any insight:

1) Since I don't currently have insurance and a driving record (just moved to the US), I'm relying on them to give me my VIN asap so that I secure a reasonable quote since most insurance reps will now start taking off. Given the level of Tesla support lately, I might just need to rely on the VIN that surfaces in the source code. Has this VIN been reliable for everyone - not changing eventually once it surfaces officially? In any case, I think most insurance companies shouldn't have an issue to replace the VIN if required in their policy before activation?
2) Tesla's website continues to have enough existing inventory even after a couple of days of sending out the promotional email. I'm assuming they are trying to get folks to upgrade to one of the pricier models to make more money before the EOY. Given that the margins are really a lot more on these models, and even Tesla would like to deliver as much as possible before the year comes to an end (to set a new record, fuel their stock which has been rallying lately), does anyone expect a last minute discount on these?

Thanks

I'm been following this thread for a few days - I don't see too many folks with a December order here, and Tesla struggling to even honor Oct orders in a respectable manner.

I ordered on 12/7 (SR+, white, no extras). So far I've been told by my sales agent that I should get the car easily by EOY, but I need to travel in the last couple of days, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to collect.

I have two questions - would really appreciate any insight:

1) Since I don't currently have insurance and a driving record (just moved to the US), I'm relying on them to give me my VIN asap so that I secure a reasonable quote since most insurance reps will now start taking off. Given the level of Tesla support lately, I might just need to rely on the VIN that surfaces in the source code. Has this VIN been reliable for everyone - not changing eventually once it surfaces officially? In any case, I think most insurance companies shouldn't have an issue to replace the VIN if required in their policy before activation?
2) Tesla's website continues to have enough existing inventory even after a couple of days of sending out the promotional email. I'm assuming they are trying to get folks to upgrade to one of the pricier models to make more money before the EOY. Given that the margins are really a lot more on these models, and even Tesla would like to deliver as much as possible before the year comes to an end (to set a new record, fuel their stock which has been rallying lately), does anyone expect a last minute discount on these?

Thanks

1) I have heard of people pulling the VIN off a "matching" inventory model to get the process started on insurance quotes. This will allow the insurance company to lock in the type of car and build along with your driving record(none in US) and give you an Estimate.

The final insurance you purchase would of course be based on your actual car.

I am not sure if they will give you a VIN without proof of insurance, since they want to get cars into peoples hands, and if you do not have insurance, I believe they are legally blocked from handing over the car to you in CA

2) NO ONE has a clue as to what Tesla will do as they push towards the end of the year. Their goal is to get as many cars into buyers hands to beat their past quarterly delivery numbers, since they are almost single handedly battling for the viability of the EV market, and not meeting Q3 numbers in Q4 would be spun as a harbinger of doom for a set of investors.
In the past, they have had no discounts, they have had not charged for minor upgrades to get someone an inventory car to match their current order(i.e. ordered stock white/wheels, and the only car they could get you was blue/sport which should have been $3k upcharge). I believe in Q3 last year, they actually were aggressive with Supercharger credits/Unlimited to push some cars.

1) I have heard of people pulling the VIN off a "matching" inventory model to get the process started on insurance quotes. This will allow the insurance company to lock in the type of car and build along with your driving record(none in US) and give you an Estimate.

The final insurance you purchase would of course be based on your actual car.

I am not sure if they will give you a VIN without proof of insurance, since they want to get cars into peoples hands, and if you do not have insurance, I believe they are legally blocked from handing over the car to you in CA

2) NO ONE has a clue as to what Tesla will do as they push towards the end of the year. Their goal is to get as many cars into buyers hands to beat their past quarterly delivery numbers, since they are almost single handedly battling for the viability of the EV market, and not meeting Q3 numbers in Q4 would be spun as a harbinger of doom for a set of investors.
In the past, they have had no discounts, they have had not charged for minor upgrades to get someone an inventory car to match their current order(i.e. ordered stock white/wheels, and the only car they could get you was blue/sport which should have been $3k upcharge). I believe in Q3 last year, they actually were aggressive with Supercharger credits/Unlimited to push some cars.

Thanks so much for the response.
1) So for new insurance, one cannot get an insurance until the VIN is available - including even for Tesla insurance. My challenge is not about being able to get the insurance, it is about my ability to finalize a lower rate. I've been able to get a quote from almost every large insurance company, and there is a lot of variation given the lack of driving record. But I cannot finalize some of the lower ones as they absolutely need the VIN to do so - and have said they can do so in one working day. I'm not sure if I'll have a working day's notice from Tesla. Worse case, I can take the offer from Tesla or buy instantly online on an non-optimized rate.
2) A friend of a friend was lucky to get unlimited Supercharger miles, color upgrade and a wheel upgrade end of Q3 - I'm wondering if we can be even half as lucky! :)

Reactions: ZappCatt
Thanks so much for the response.
1) So for new insurance, one cannot get an insurance until the VIN is available - including even for Tesla insurance. My challenge is not about being able to get the insurance, it is about my ability to finalize a lower rate. I've been able to get a quote from almost every large insurance company, and there is a lot of variation given the lack of driving record. But I cannot finalize some of the lower ones as they absolutely need the VIN to do so - and have said they can do so in one working day. I'm not sure if I'll have a working day's notice from Tesla. Worse case, I can take the offer from Tesla or buy instantly online on an non-optimized rate.
2) A friend of a friend was lucky to get unlimited Supercharger miles, color upgrade and a wheel upgrade end of Q3 - I'm wondering if we can be even half as lucky! :)

I charge at home, so do not expect much SuperCharging, but it would be cool to get that tossed in. The thing with color and wheel upgrades..... I do not really care on color(would honestly rather have White than Red...blue or silver would be cool) and I would probably rather have the 18 aero wheels to save me money...LOL. I WOULD take cash, an acceleration boost or FSD for free though! ;-)

It is a GREAT time to be looking to buy/lease a Tesla if you could get a great deal(but do not need a new car), but kinda sucks to NEED a car at this time with how they do "business".

Just got her back from the Tinters this afternoon. She looks gorgeous with some of that dark Ceramic!

D0EE8A69-7B05-4C79-8805-B0B81A7A5C75.jpeg
39910E2F-C589-4AFB-BA7D-266900139B29.jpeg

I would for sure question/fight that one. I did a trade in too and I actually exceeded the 1,000 miles from my original quote. My offer dropped from 18,000 to 17,500. A 1,344 difference is quite a different compared to my 500 exceeding the 1,000 miles when you did not.
I cannot believe this.

Picking up at Costa Mesa tomorrow. My trade quote decreased from $7,944 to $6,600 one hour after I submitted a photo of my title. Wth!!! I even rented a car to keep it under 1,000 miles. I know my quote is about a week expired but they made me do it early or it would have delayed my delivery. We all got that email. Last week, sales guy told me not to worry about it either, just keep it under 1,000 miles. These asses and their tricky games.... buyer beware!

I sent an email to DA and Costa Mesa delivery. If they make this right, I'll update this post...in the meantime, I'm pissed.

Oh, and they ran my credit again yesterday....

Costa Mesa here, today was delivery day. so not only did they make me sign my trade title over with low ball offer, they can't sell me my Model 3 because of IT glitch. So now I don't have my trade in car and I don't have my Model 3. i waited in my new car for 5 hours hoping they would figure it out... no luck. They ubered me home. I'm car less... I have no words....

Costa Mesa here, today was delivery day. so not only did they make me sign my trade title over with low ball offer, they can't sell me my Model 3 because of IT glitch. So now I don't have my trade in car and I don't have my Model 3. i waited in my new car for 5 hours hoping they would figure it out... no luck. They ubered me home. I'm car less... I have no words....

What the what ? That sucks
Did they atleast tell you when do you get your car ?

Reactions: jmcmill
I picked up my Model 3 on 12/19 in Marina del Rey.

Aside from some minor smudges that were easily wiped away, the only thing that stood out was a very small scratch on the front bumper along with a recessed sensor. Turned out that scratch was under the clear coat and not something they could just touch up. Fortunately they have extra bumpers and replaced the entire front bumper fixing all of those issues. Took an extra hour but it was worth the wait.

Having ordered on 10/10 the wait was pretty rough. I feel for those still anxiously waiting. Hang in there everyone!

Just got back from delivery center, and the car is PERFECT!! Process was very smooth and was afforded ample time to inspect the car prior to leaving the center. Honestly, wasn't as big of a mad house as I was expecting. Anyways here's a quick picture!

To all the no VIN bro's in San Diego, saw a semi full of white model 3's being dropped off at the off site storage facility! There is hope!

Attachments

• IMG_4945.jpg
    IMG_4945.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 49
Like so many of you I'm hoping for a holiday miracle! Ordered on 11/30 W/W/18" and have yet to receive my VIN. My DA says that it's looking like the last two days of the year which is a real pain since my wife and I are meant to be heading on vacation on the 27th! Here's wishing us all luck!

Reactions: ABCTG
Hey guys need some advice or insight. i ordered 12/1 and seen that my Tesla finance went from financing 42k to only 35k. Has this happened to any one before? What should I say or do? I’m going to call Tesla tomorrow but I’m not sure why that happened. A little confused here.

What the what ? That sucks
Did they atleast tell you when do you get your car ?
Somehow the trade got accepted before my paperwork got started so it halted the entire automated process. They can't reverse it so it had to get escalated. Couldn't take home car today but they gave me a Performance S loaner and threw in a wall charger. Planning for home delivery in the morning once paperwork gets resolved. Thanks to Ryan at Costa Mesa, my faith in Tesla is restored. He even followed up with this email, frustrating service at the beginning but 110% customer service at the end.
20191221_221345.jpg