Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My text indicated a delivery at the Delivery center, but I was told by my SA that my car will instead be home delivered - either way I'm happy. I just hope it doesn't get pushed further.

But does anyone have experience with home delivery when it comes to checking the car for defects. While it is easy to rectify defects quickly at the Delivery center, I'm wondering how that can happen during a home delivery, esp as these guys will not be able to rectify anything until 31st at least with all the work load.

You are going to be under more time pressure to complete the transaction because the guy who drives up with your car is going to have an Uber ride following right behind him waiting to take him back for his next delivery. You still can take as long as you need to inspect the car but it’s awkward to hold the guy up. And if there are issues with paint or body panels the driver won’t have a clue what to do about it so you will have to make the decision to accept it or reject it without getting much guidance on what Tesla is going to do about it. This is why I never recommend home delivery.

You can tell them you want to pick it up at the delivery center and they will accommodate as long as they have a time slot open.

Reactions: EV_MTV
Thanks so much OCR1 - this really helps!
Let me try to take it at the Fremont Delivery Center - i have a feeling they will likely not accommodate this request given how busy they are at this time.
In the worst case, I can always try to document everything before he leaves, and Tesla should be able to fix it in the near future?

Thanks so much OCR1 - this really helps!
Let me try to take it at the Fremont Delivery Center - i have a feeling they will likely not accommodate this request given how busy they are at this time.
In the worst case, I can always try to document everything before he leaves, and Tesla should be able to fix it in the near future?

It’s not that simple. You may see a body panel that looks out of alignment to you. A Tesla tech will need to look at it and let you know if it is within spec. So you can document it but when you bring it in to the service center they may just say sorry it looks OK.

With paint, you can notate scratches but are they going to apply touch up paint or repaint the entire section? There is nobody to discuss anything with. In fact, there is no documentation process. The driver may take some notes but they won’t share them with you or print out a due list of things that Tesla is willing to fix. It gets very messy. I’m just not a fan of home delivery. You are under a lot of pressure to sign without having an intelligent person to discuss your concerns with.

Order Date: 11/18/19
Tesla Location: Costa Mesa, CA

Received email on 12/18 to choose availability and then a text on 12/22 to schedule delivery which I chose 12/28 at 1PM

Still no VIN assigned so we’ll see if it actually happens.
Car: SR+ White/Black/18”

Ok, so an update to my odyssey of the Ghosted Home delivery today.

I live close enough to a store, so I was able to head over. There was a switch of cars produced on 12/25 and the Fremont Direct group was not working on 12/25 so there was a significant number of White or MSM cars which had been pushed to the "end of the line" during XMas. No one was informed of the cancelled appointment, and the store said they already had 4 people walk in to ask about it.

After an hour of waiting while they chatted with Fremont, I was informed that our(White/Black SR+ and Grey(MSM)/Black SR+ will next be up for production on 12/30 oh yay.

The also mentioned something about the "switch for So Cal" so I do not know if they changed what was produced to give more time to get to So Cal with the weather, or if they were just making excuses and last minute, high dollar cars were switched in instead.

So...either the 30th or 31st..and of course, "trust them, they will get it to you by End of Year!"

Reactions: bmt1012
Ordered 10/25. Not a peep until late Christmas Eve when I got a text scheduling the pickup for 12/27 at 5:30. They called me today and I was able to pick it up at noon. Car seems to be without any major flaws. Didn't like how long the wait was or how little information I was provided throughout the process. Tesla can use some improvement in this area.

Reactions: ZappCatt
Order Date: 11/18/19
Tesla Location: Costa Mesa, CA

Received email on 12/18 to choose availability and then a text on 12/22 to schedule delivery which I chose 12/28 at 1PM

Still no VIN assigned so we’ll see if it actually happens.
Car: SR+ White/Black/18”

This morning I received a notice that my delivery has been moved to December 31st at 1PM. Still no VIN, talk about cutting it close

White/Black interior/18"/no FSD/Buy
Thanks for the info.

Grrr It definaly looks like they punted Lessee's to get cars in buyers hands.

I ordered that exact setup on 11/15 and you are the second person here in the Bay Area who ordered after me, yet got the car, while mine was "moved out of the production queue".

I had an appointment to have it delivered on 12/26 and they just did not bother to contact me or show up.....

What a company!

Last edited:
It’s not that simple. You may see a body panel that looks out of alignment to you. A Tesla tech will need to look at it and let you know if it is within spec. So you can document it but when you bring it in to the service center they may just say sorry it looks OK.

With paint, you can notate scratches but are they going to apply touch up paint or repaint the entire section? There is nobody to discuss anything with. In fact, there is no documentation process. The driver may take some notes but they won’t share them with you or print out a due list of things that Tesla is willing to fix. It gets very messy. I’m just not a fan of home delivery. You are under a lot of pressure to sign without having an intelligent person to discuss your concerns with.

Thanks so much OCR1 for your help.
I was pleasantly surprised how they accommodated my request to pick it up from the Delivery center instead. I reached 45 mins before time - was attended then - few small issues which they've made a note of. But exceptionally good service - no rushing (in fact i was expecting a lot of rush which wasn't the case). They seem to be confident of honoring all the orders by 31st - so hang in there guys - all the best.

Thanks for the info.

Grrr It definaly looks like they punted Lessee's to get cars in buyers hands.

I ordered that exact setup on 11/15 and you are the second person here in the Bay Area who ordered after me, yet got the car, while mine was "moved out of the production queue".

I had an appointment to have it delivered on 12/26 and they just did not bother to contact me or show up.....

What a company!

Yikes. I'm sorry to hear that. TBH I wasn't expecting to get the car by EoY after looking at all the msgs here with people waiting with Oct/Nov order dates. It's a big mystery on how they prioritize orders. Good luck and hope you hear from them soon.

Reactions: ZappCatt
Picked up my SR+ today at Fremont. 12/12 order date. Appointment was scheduled at 1130am. Had a few minor cosmetic issues to fix which they did in couple hours. Everything else went smoothly. The lot was full of M3s and tons of people picking up. Good luck to everyone waiting.

Hey, I just picked up my M3 today in Fremont at 11:30 as well! Well, that was the scheduled time, but it ran late, to probably 11:50 or so. The only thing I noticed on mine was a little greenish smudge on the driver's seat. White interior, so it really stood out. They took care of that in a few minutes. Other than that, everything went very smoothly. The guys who helped me said they were volunteers, and they were very friendly and didn't rush me at all. If anything, I felt like I was rushing them!

Order date 10/22 - SR+, Blue/White int., 18" Aero, FSD, buy.

Just got my delivery time for December 31st at 10am in Fremont!

For all you SoCal orders we saw this on our way down to Palm spring on the 58 in the worst traffic jam of our lives (about 6 hrs over 30 miles). Don’t worry, the jam should be cleared now.

7D5780CC-E3D1-4799-BA2A-D91669733FF3.jpeg

3AEA6718-1E84-415C-9D6C-AAF8EA21D3F8.jpeg