Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I solved the mystery of the inventory cars. According to the SA I just spoke with the cars are assigned to the locations as they are built so they aren't necessarily there yet but they are on their way. The SA couldn't even see the car in his local inventory although when I search by my zip it shows it is local. Still doesn't explain the assignment method but I definitely would not recommend anyone order a car at the beginning of a quarter unless they want to prepare to wait a long time for it.

Reactions: ShiftTab
I solved the mystery of the inventory cars. According to the SA I just spoke with the cars are assigned to the locations as they are built so they aren't necessarily there yet but they are on their way. The SA couldn't even see the car in his local inventory although when I search by my zip it shows it is local. Still doesn't explain the assignment method but I definitely would not recommend anyone order a car at the beginning of a quarter unless they want to prepare to wait a long time for it.
Seriously. This is the second time I've made this mistake; I took faith in the SA's word and ordered even earlier than last time to try and secure an earlier delivery. In reality, any order placed before the last month of the quarter probably realistically saves you 1 day for every week early you place an order (i.e., you place an order on October 20 vs November 2, you might get your car on the 20th of December rather than the 22nd).

Totaly understandable why they would do that. Imagine having to wait 3 months for your car and nobody gives a prope response or update as to when you will get your car. Some people have to put many of their plans and activities on hold because TESLA doesnot deliver or communicate about the car we paid for.
These are my feelings right now. Extremely frustrating to be treated like a "groupie" instead of a paying customer with priorities and responsibilities. Not giving me ANY information after nearly 3 months, (I'm way passed my initial 6-8 week estimate) and I'm just supposed to shut up and wait without a vehicle. This is probably only an issue because of the 2021 updates and not having any inventory but its already left a bad stain of my impression of the company while already being scared from the horror stories I've heard about build quality and repairs.

Reactions: Maan
My family member cancelled their M3 order a couple weeks ago due to the continual delivery push-back. A September order with an estimated 4 week wait turned into a "you'll get an update when we give it to you" kind of situation. Even more frustrating since they live on the Central Coast. Just another Californian put at the end of the line.

They got frustrated - did some cross-shopping -- and ended up with a Leaf with the 220 mile range and the nicer upgraded leather interior.
Sticker was 45K - but with all of the discounts + the Federal Credit + CA rebate - they got their nice little sedan for about 31K.

Hate to break it to everyone - but I've driven it - and it's a very pleasant ride. Not Tesla quick, but totally fun to pilot. Fit and finish perfect IMHO.

Scenarios like this have to be occurring more frequently these days...

I looked into this as well. I drove the leaf and the experience is not even close to the same as the Tesla. However, I was looking at a net cost of $19k or so. I think the savings is totally worth it if you don't mind missing out on the Tesla experience. But for me, driving the leaf just felt like more of the same compared to what I have now, and not even worth even a dirt cheap sub 20k price to move to. Might as well just keep the car I have now that is paid for...

I looked into this as well. I drove the leaf and the experience is not even close to the same as the Tesla. However, I was looking at a net cost of $19k or so. I think the savings is totally worth it if you don't mind missing out on the Tesla experience. But for me, driving the leaf just felt like more of the same compared to what I have now, and not even worth even a dirt cheap sub 20k price to move to. Might as well just keep the car I have now that is paid for...
I'm not a Nissan salesperson on the side -- but there are in essence 2 models of the Leaf. I agree. I wouldn't even touch the "base" model that I believe you are describing. It does feel like a cheap penalty box - pure econo-car. The upgraded extended range model (which my family member got) has much better acceleration - a miles better interior - and appears to have more sound deadening. That's the one I've driven. And for 30K or so out the door - it's a relatively appealing substitute.

These are my feelings right now. Extremely frustrating to be treated like a "groupie" instead of a paying customer with priorities and responsibilities. Not giving me ANY information after nearly 3 months, (I'm way passed my initial 6-8 week estimate) and I'm just supposed to shut up and wait without a vehicle. This is probably only an issue because of the 2021 updates and not having any inventory but its already left a bad stain of my impression of the company while already being scared from the horror stories I've heard about build quality and repairs.
The horror stories are true - but it's also true the cars are a fun ride.

If you have the kind of tolerance where you can equate automotive customer service with the returns line at Walmart, only with meaner employees, then you should be fine:eek:

I'm not a Nissan salesperson on the side -- but there are in essence 2 models of the Leaf. I agree. I wouldn't even touch the "base" model that I believe you are describing. It does feel like a cheap penalty box - pure econo-car. The upgraded extended range model (which my family member got) has much better acceleration - a miles better interior - and appears to have more sound deadening. That's the one I've driven. And for 30K or so out the door - it's a relatively appealing substitute.

All true, but good luck fast charging it more than two or three times on a trip before the battery overheats because of the lack of an efficient cooling system.

Last edited:
Yep - same story here for my nephew. He got tired of giving Hertz $150 a week for the pleasure of waiting on his Tesla.

What Elon should do - if he didn't have his mind on 14 other businesses - is rent out some of his used inventory specifically (and solely) to those who have active orders in the queue. Plenty of folks would happily pay out $600 a month to rent a Tesla while waiting for the "birth" of their own Tesla.

bruh. you just spoke what has been in my mind for a really long time. Honestly, I feel like I am just a couple of days away from cancelling my order.

Maybe I'm misreading your post, but I was going through threads like this one below yesterday from people at the end of September, which indicate that this is actually a recurring problem that happens each quarter (especially for people in California), and not unique to the production of the 2021 models.

Reactions: zerb012345
How long did it take for you guys to receive a final payment notification? My delivery appointment is early next week and my account still says ' drafting up your contract.'

I got an email saying my balance was updated the day that I made my ACH down payment, and then another one when they received a check from my financial institution for the loan balance (I sent them tracking info for FedEx). I also received a text saying my Tesla has been paid for in full. All pretty immediate from the time of payment and receiving the chedck.

bruh. you just spoke what has been in my mind for a really long time. Honestly, I feel like I am just a couple of days away from cancelling my order.

Hang in there man. The product is worth the wait. If you've already waited this long, just know it'll be before the end of the year, which is not far.

I'm picking mine up tomorrow. Got a delivery date last week. Having an end date in sight really helped out, and it got moved up several times from the original pickup date of the 14th after getting my VIN.

You're almost past the hard part!

Reactions: MikeC
All true, but good luck fast charging it more than two or three times on a trip before the battery overheats because of the lack of an efficient cooling system.
I don't believe they've experienced what you're referring to. I think their Leaf is more of the in-town commuter and errands car.

There are trade-offs for sure - but 30K for a nicely built car with pleasant "traditional" service options is way more appealing than spending 50K and up to be treated like an annoyance.