Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where do you find this information?
It says it in the note that Tesla sent out that they are introducing “a new battery pack“ not an entirely new imported vehicle. Additionally, if there were a bunch of Teslas being imported into America there would be countless threads, articles, and tweets about it. They recently shipped a bunch to Europe and it was noted everywhere. Tesla didn’t secretly import thousands of cars to America and nobody knows about it lol. Plus there’s a big tax on imported vehicles so they wouldn’t be able to sell them at the same price. The VIN number also tells you where it was built.

I called my SA again today and he said my EDD changed to end of September from the original end of this month to first week of August. I was able to get one of the model 3 SR+ inventory here in San Diego today (Midnight Silver Metallic paint with black interior) I already got my VIN number with EDD of August 31- September 10. Just waiting on my loan approval again since it’s a different car and my SA said he can’t transfer my loan from my first M3 order. I’m excited! Hopefully I made the right decision of just grabbing what’s available right now rather than waiting for my original order haha.

I got impatient and snagged my build from the big drop. Waiting on the delivery window alert, but at least I have a VIN and tighter EDD of 9/4-9/10. The rep on the order hotline said this one should be in on 9/7.

They will cancel my 7/3 order and move the $100 over to my inventory order. It's still in my account, so I'll laugh if that gets a VIN and a delivery date sooner than the inventory car, before they fully cancel it. My lease ends on 9/8 so I would really like for this saga to be over so I don't have to extend one more month and live in uncertainty. Tomorrow is 8 weeks of waiting.

I called my SA again today and he said my EDD changed to end of September from the original end of this month to first week of August. I was able to get one of the model 3 SR+ inventory here in San Diego today (Midnight Silver Metallic paint with black interior) I already got my VIN number with EDD of August 31- September 10. Just waiting on my loan approval again since it’s a different car and my SA said he can’t transfer my loan from my first M3 order. I’m excited! Hopefully I made the right decision of just grabbing what’s available right now rather than waiting for my original order haha.
Congrats! Did you upload the insurance information before getting the EDD? Or did you get the EDD before insurance?

I ordered a 253 range. Vin Received, EDD in Paramus 8/30 - 9/2. I called to try to merge my 7/9 order over and the guy said they don't know if they can do that. They are figuring everything out still. Sounds like the advisors got blind sided by this big
I was under the impression they can apply the original deposit to the new purchase if you received the email. On the letter it clearly states your original order fee can be applied to the new vehicle. If you didn't get the email, they might not be able to apply to the 253 range.
Speak with your SA. Should not be problem, I did my ordering over the phone.

Reactions: HyperionM3
I ordered 7/11 with an EDD of 9/7-9/27 (has been for a couple weeks now). It felt like I was getting close to being "next in line" to receive my VIN, but then they sent this email out (I didn't get one btw). Is it possible all of these LFP orders are getting prioritized and built over the 'original M3 orders? (Someone mentioned they are being called existing inventory but are pre-production.) If that's the case, feels like I got "cut in line" after waiting my turn 😅 Maybe I am thinking about this the wrong way and LFP orders won't actually delay existing Q3 EDD orders (that didn't get the email anyway)?

Like everyone else on here, I'm trying to decide if I should just pull the trigger on a LFP now and possibly get it sooner.. confused and conflicted!! (I chatted with Tesla online but they weren't much help - no commitments on timing but did say the LFPs would arrive sooner)

Reactions: RogerMc
I ordered 7/11 with an EDD of 9/7-9/27 (has been for a couple weeks now). It felt like I was getting close to being "next in line" to receive my VIN, but then they sent this email out (I didn't get one btw). Is it possible all of these LFP orders are getting prioritized and built over the 'original M3 orders? (Someone mentioned they are being called existing inventory but are pre-production.) If that's the case, feels like I got "cut in line" after waiting my turn 😅 Maybe I am thinking about this the wrong way and LFP orders won't actually delay existing Q3 EDD orders (that didn't get the email anyway)?

Like everyone else on here, I'm trying to decide if I should just pull the trigger on a LFP now and possibly get it sooner.. confused and conflicted!! (I chatted with Tesla online but they weren't much help - no commitments on timing but did say the LFPs would arrive sooner)
There "has" to be a 2170 battery shortage. Tesla likely makes the worst profit margin on M3 SR+ so it is understandable that they would prioritize the higher margin vehicles. Crummy and a bummer, but understandable.

Getting a secret shipment of LFP batteries from China to get some more M3 SR+ to market is better than not offering a choice to M3 SR+ reservation holders I suppose. Does put the reservation holder in a tough spot trying to make a good decision with very limited data.

In the end, we're talking a out Tesla here and Tesla works in mysterious ways. So my opinions could be way off base.

Reactions: parfon
Is it possible all of these LFP orders are getting prioritized and built over the 'original M3 orders? (Someone mentioned they are being called existing inventory but are pre-production.) If that's the case, feels like I got "cut in line" after waiting my turn
Yes when I spoke with SA, he said the car I ordered on the 26th is pre-production and NOT currently in the location which was specified. Last night the locations were cities, today they are counties. I find that misleading at best. However, he does expect my car to come in at the end of the specified EDD range ending Sep 4, but that can certainly change.

Bottom line, I have a VIN and that's more than I have from my July order. I'm not sure these builds are cutting in front. But that may just be point of view. If all the NCA batteries are allocated to non SR+ orders, then they can't be built anyway.

It's entirely possible that my July order could get pushed to Oct or later due to battery constraint / low priority. At the moment, I have two orders. His advice was to keep the two orders open and see what happens over the next week.

At some point I will be able to schedule a delivery and then this bump will be forgotten.

I blame the lack of transparent communication for aggravating the situation.

Cancel the inventory order, you will lose $250.
Cancel my July order and the original $100 will be applied to the inventory order.

Reactions: HyperionM3
i

i’m interested to see if we get VINs this weekend/early next week.

i’m five days behind you order-wise + i think the NJ crew the week before us has gotten theirs (@torpy @Francl27 ) by now. i would include @Mattmo but i think he diverted to the new version and hopped reservations 😂

i’m going to give it another few days since the inventory is still showing online for the 253 range models — and some folks who ordered the week after us received the email to switch.

maybe it’s naive, but i almost feel like ours are among the last to be fulfilled before the great push to close out the quarter.

guess we will find out!! 😎

Yes when I spoke with SA, he said the car I ordered on the 26th is pre-production and NOT currently in the location which was specified. Last night the locations were cities, today they are counties. I find that misleading at best. However, he does expect my car to come in at the end of the specified EDD range ending Sep 4, but that can certainly change.

Bottom line, I have a VIN and that's more than I have from my July order. I'm not sure these builds are cutting in front. But that may just be point of view. If all the NCA batteries are allocated to non SR+ orders, then they can't be built anyway.

It's entirely possible that my July order could get pushed to Oct or later due to battery constraint / low priority. At the moment, I have two orders. His advice was to keep the two orders open and see what happens over the next week.

At some point I will be able to schedule a delivery and then this bump will be forgotten.

I blame the lack of transparent communication for aggravating the situation.

Cancel the inventory order, you will lose $250.
Cancel my July order and the original $100 will be applied to the inventory order.
I'm in the same spot. I'm not super concerned about timing--more so which is the better car. What I've read is that this should be a better battery, but I've also read that it's cheaper and has led to lower prices in Europe when rolled out, so I also don't want to opt into something that's going to be worth less than it's counterpart when I'm paying the same price. I'm also a bit concerned about having one of only a few hundred cars this type, and not really being able to rely on any advice/learnings from the broader tesla community as there will be a, oh, you have one of the LFP models--this may or may not apply to you . . .

Seems there aren't any firm specs on the LFP or any real info on charging concerns I've seen reports of in this battery when rolled out (though other articles state there isn't a charging slower issue anymore since they made a software update). Overall I just have a pit in my stomach afraid I'm going to choose wrong. It doesn't help that I know nothing about batteries and feel like the articles I read go completely over my head when discussing positives and negatives.

I'm in the same spot. I'm not super concerned about timing--more so which is the better car. What I've read is that this should be a better battery, but I've also read that it's cheaper and has led to lower prices in Europe when rolled out, so I also don't want to opt into something that's going to be worth less than it's counterpart when I'm paying the same price. I'm also a bit concerned about having one of only a few hundred cars this type, and not really being able to rely on any advice/learnings from the broader tesla community as there will be a, oh, you have one of the LFP models--this may or may not apply to you . . .

Seems there aren't any firm specs on the LFP or any real info on charging concerns I've seen reports of in this battery when rolled out (though other articles state there isn't a charging slower issue anymore since they made a software update). Overall I just have a pit in my stomach afraid I'm going to choose wrong. It doesn't help that I know nothing about batteries and feel like the articles I read go completely over my head when discussing positives and negatives.
I am concerned that having the conviction to stay with my July order will have a significant effect on delivery date. Didn't someone already mention that their July order has now been pushed into Jan 2022?

Sometimes having a choice makes things too difficult.

I'm actually more concerned about the effects of switching battery technology quickly and not having enough study of the effects on cooling. Will we later find out that the cooling system is inadequate for LFP? Will these issues appear as reliability problems?

Last edited:
Reactions: daviddumais
Hey all,

Just wanted to share that I'm documenting my road trip from Seattle to LA in my 2021 M3 SR+ on Instagram via stories. It's mainly geared towards new or non EV owners. I'll be posting all of my supercharger stops though! Feel free to share with any potential owners!

Check it out @miguelr.jpeg

Best of luck to all those waiting!

Reactions: NB Hip fan