Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla sent me a text today and said I should apply for my financing. I don't really know what to do because I was supposed to get my car in Jan-Feb, changed to March 11, changed to April-May. I almost applied for financing once before but the same day I was applying the dates changed to April to May. Should I be applying for financing now or wait until my VIN is assigned? One person at Tesla says to wait, another person says apply today, very confused.
I would wait for your VIN. The forums are full of people burned by this exact situation. Someone here has applied five separate times only to be delayed each time and have had a credit pull for nothing. Auto loans are quick and easy to close, you can often have it done in 24-48 hours. So wait until you have a VIN.

Reactions: Nick11
For what it is worth, I think you made a great call switching for LFP. That is what made us decide on RWD. Given the daily charge % difference (LFP 100% daily vs 80-90% for NMC) and the degradation seen in NMC, there is, for practical purposes, range parity after a few years. It was, for us, very much a "why pay more" question. Also, the LFP has fewer problematic mineral sources and generally is understood to be a safer, more stable chemistry that can take a beating. Then again, it isn't as if Tesla are erupting in flames so that may be a moot point. Anecdotally on these forums and Reddit, current LFP Tesla owners have witnessed vanishingly little loss of capacity.
Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I agree on all of the various points. Now if I can just get my car and enjoy it! :)

For what it is worth, I think you made a great call switching for LFP. That is what made us decide on RWD. Given the daily charge % difference (LFP 100% daily vs 80-90% for NMC) and the degradation seen in NMC, there is, for practical purposes, range parity after a few years. It was, for us, very much a "why pay more" question. Also, the LFP has fewer problematic mineral sources and generally is understood to be a safer, more stable chemistry that can take a beating. Then again, it isn't as if Tesla are erupting in flames so that may be a moot point. Anecdotally on these forums and Reddit, current LFP Tesla owners have witnessed vanishingly little loss of capacity.
This was essentially my thought process. I don't need AWD. I don't need the extra speed. The range benefits are wasted on my commute. I prefer the LFP chemistry. When I ordered, the $10k premium for AWD did not seem to be a good value. A lot of people will tell you to buy the AWD or P if you can afford it... you won't regret it. I would rather invest the difference in something else if I don't see the value.

I would wait for your VIN. The forums are full of people burned by this exact situation. Someone here has applied five separate times only to be delayed each time and have had a credit pull for nothing. Auto loans are quick and easy to close, you can often have it done in 24-48 hours. So wait until you have a VIN.
Thank you, I will totally wait for the VIN. I just don't want to get credit and have to do it all again because of a delay.

Because of some slight body damage at delivery that my wife wouldn't accept (🤬), we gave our VIN to our son who had ordered the same exact car after us. Now we're back in queue since the 25th of March. It took an exact month from OD to DD and now the wait looks longer as I think we were part of the Q1 push. Anyway, our financing runs out on April 30th so, as we get closer to not making that deadline, how soon can I switch to the cash option while we wait for our new VIN? Being that we financed through Tesla, does the finanacing have to expire before we can switch or can it be done a few days before expiration?

Yeah, I decided to switch because of the reported loss of degradation on the LFP. Additionally the range on the RWD/SR suit my needs as a commuter. Time will tell if I made the right choice or not.
I am in similar situation. I did not do the downgrade but I ordered the M3RWD after ordered a MYLR. I was back and forth between M3RWD vs M3LR. I got great feedbacks based on my needs as a commuter. I would always use the MYLR for a long trip.

Because of some slight body damage at delivery that my wife wouldn't accept (🤬), we gave our VIN to our son who had ordered the same exact car after us. Now we're back in queue since the 25th of March. It took an exact month from OD to DD and now the wait looks longer as I think we were part of the Q1 push. Anyway, our financing runs out on April 30th so, as we get closer to not making that deadline, how soon can I switch to the cash option while we wait for our new VIN? Being that we financed through Tesla, does the finanacing have to expire before we can switch or can it be done a few days before expiration?
I think you can call your SA and do the switch. I was in the same situation but let the finance period expire before resubmitting another application.

Reactions: Spivas
Have any folks on here received EDD updates this week (let’s say since Sunday)?

Trying to pass the time and find any correlation between trim level, color, and wheel choice. For example do all RW MSM Aero get updates on the same day? Or same week?

Also curious to see that Tesla website shows Jun-Aug delivery for new orders RW and LR and P. Probably nothing but maybe something 😉

Trying to pass the time and find any correlation between trim level, color, and wheel choice. For example do all RW MSM Aero get updates on the same day? Or same week?

Also curious to see that Tesla website shows Jun-Aug delivery for new orders RW and LR and P. Probably nothing but maybe something 😉
Los Angeles, CA (Pick-up Buena Park)

OD: 9/28/21

M3 RWD Black w/ Black Int | Aero Wheels | No FSD

EDD: March 2022 (as of 9/28/21 - 1/5/22)
EDD: June 2022 (as of 1/5/22 - 1/20/22)
EDD: March 7 - March 31 (as of 1/21/22 - 1/30/22)
EDD: April 21 - May 19 (as of 1/31/22 - 3/14/22)
EDD: March 18 - March 31 (as of 3/15/22 - 3/18/22)
EDD: April 28 - June 02 (as of 3/19/22 - 4/6/22)
EDD: April 28 - May 26 (as of 4/6/22)

I checked this morning(4/6) and it was still at 4/28-6/2. As I was reading @Drew_in_Tx post, I check the website, and an updated EDD was shortened by 5 days, 😅. *I'm trying to find all the positive vibes out there for this car to inch closer*

Seems like the "factory gate" mentioned by @rudythecar is justifiable. If, IF, my car has a factory gate of 4/24 as previously specified, I can get it by 4/28 due to my proximity to the factory. I doubt it as deliveries tend to go from east to west during each quarter.

Last edited:

I just had an update on my EDD.. went from April 12 - May 10 to April 15 - Apr 29 on April 05.

RWD/White/Black/Aero

This was essentially my thought process. I don't need AWD. I don't need the extra speed. The range benefits are wasted on my commute. I prefer the LFP chemistry. When I ordered, the $10k premium for AWD did not seem to be a good value. A lot of people will tell you to buy the AWD or P if you can afford it... you won't regret it. I would rather invest the difference in something else if I don't see the value.
All that said, every time the AWD price goes up (like today) the value proposition of switching to a $49k LR AWD increases.

Los Angeles, CA (Pick-up Buena Park)

OD: 9/28/21

M3 RWD Black w/ Black Int | Aero Wheels | No FSD

EDD: March 2022 (as of 9/28/21 - 1/5/22)
EDD: June 2022 (as of 1/5/22 - 1/20/22)
EDD: March 7 - March 31 (as of 1/21/22 - 1/30/22)
EDD: April 21 - May 19 (as of 1/31/22 - 3/14/22)
EDD: March 18 - March 31 (as of 3/15/22 - 3/18/22)
EDD: April 28 - June 02 (as of 3/19/22 - 4/6/22)
EDD: April 28 - May 26 (as of 4/6/22)

I checked this morning(4/6) and it was still at 4/28-6/2. As I was reading @Drew_in_Tx post, I check the website, and an updated EDD was shortened by 5 days, 😅. *I'm trying to find all the positive vibes out there for this car to inch closer*

Seems like the "factory gate" mentioned by @rudythecar is justifiable. If, IF, my car has a factory gate of 4/24 as previously specified, I can get it by 4/28 due to my proximity to the factory. I doubt it as deliveries tend to go from east to west during each quarter.
Same Config ordered on the 09/15/21, but My Edd Still shows the same, June 28-Aug 9. I am so jealous!! lol🤪😜

Reactions: RPYT