Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Howdy gang. Looks like my time is almost done. Picking up this Sunday at 10 am. So all told, 7 days from switching to LR to driving home. Still cannot believe it. I hope these updates are helpful not annoying.
Thanks for keeping those of us who haven't switched from RWD to LR (yet) up to date, and congratulations on getting a pickup date. I'm still holding out for an RWD (Order Date: 2/6/2022, EDD: August 11 - September 22) but might feel differently if the EDD slips past October.

No fee! Just the cost difference and it was the price from when I ordered in January.
I don't know why but I am seeing this message. And it won't let me update it.

1653586352626.png

Last edited:
I selected sport wheels way back in September 2021… still waiting.
IMO no matter what options you add to the SR+ will not improve EDD. Sure there are some lucky shots but too slim to overhang someone financially in exchange of high expectations. The only more confirmed way of improving is switching to LR or P. Still convince that one or both the the followings are crippling us right now :
  • Hertz order
  • LFP cells shortage

Just to confirm, Canadians cannot switch from RWD to LR, correct? This function is only available in US?
@YVRM3White An article on Drive Tesla was claiming that it was now possible in Canada but I have not heard anyone being able to. Tuesday, I was at my pick-up location and wanted to tell my SA that I would not mind accepting either white interior or different wheels and he said that making ANY change would mean going with the new pricing.

• Disagree
Reactions: RPYT
@YVRM3White An article on Drive Tesla was claiming that it was now possible in Canada but I have not heard anyone being able to. Tuesday, I was at my pick-up location and wanted to tell my SA that I would not mind accepting either white interior or different wheels and he said that making ANY change would mean going with the new pricing.

I got the same answer, even when I showed them the article. SA said that I could not change anything since I was getting the government rebates (ordered October 2021).

Reactions: Jbedz
LR @ September pricing is $49,990 plus whatever options. You can make the change your self by first logging into you tesla account and then going to this url:

..../teslaaccount/edit-design/RNxxxxxxxxx

add your RN number. I can't add the whole url or it makes it a link
SInce I did not have edit Option , I called Tesla and they told me if they open my Order for edit , It will further delay my order . Not that it matters I am already going to be more than a Year lol. He also told me that if I switch to LR now i will most probably wont get it any sooner than my current EDD of Jul-Aug 2022 and In fact he said this could be much later than that .

I am confused what to do , I am able to edit my Order since he made the change after I insisted . I am getting the Model 3 LR for 49990 - 2000 NJ charge up credit so i feel at 47990 ( White ) is a very attractive price but I am paying 37K for Red ( that would be 40k-5k( NJ Charge ip credit ) =35K for White) . The question is is it worth upgrading to LR for 12K more and potentially further delaying my order .

Any inputs appreciated !!

Last edited:
SInce I did not have edit Option , I called Tesla and they dont tell me if they open my Order for edit , It will further delay my order . Not that it matters I am already going to be more than a Year lol. He also told me that if I switch to LR now i will most probably wont get it any sooner than my current EDD of Jul-Aug 2022 and In fact he said this could be much later than that .

I am confused what to do , I am able to edit my Order since he made the change after I insisted . I am getting the Model 3 LR for 49990 - 2000 NJ charge up credit so i feel at 47990 ( White ) which is a very attractive price . I am paying 37K for Red ( that would be 35K for White) . The question is is it worth upgrading to LR for 12K more and potentially further delaying my order .

Any inputs appreciated !!
Based on your OD, you have a very high chance of getting the car within the week if you change now. It's a matter of switching, waiting a couple of days for your EDD to change to something like "Aug - Nov 2022" (based on your configuration as shown in your sig you seem to have the exterior color as red and that's an upgrade, so you have an earlier EDD), and the next day have a much earlier and shorter EDD window. I've seen people from early January switch from RWD to LR and 3-4 days after switching already got a VIN and scheduled their delivery. You have high advantages over us late April orders who initially went for RWD but switched to LR.

It's more money, yes, but RWD is backordered really badly because Hertz's order batch still seems like it's not complete.

In conclusion, people switched from RWD to LR with very early ODs and got a VIN no more than a week. SAs often like to say they can't speculate, but we often resort to what people went through. Tesla prioritizes orders by ODs. They see an order from 2021, they run right to your order and build your car and skip everyone else.

Based on your OD, you have a very high chance of getting the car within the week if you change now. It's a matter of switching, waiting a couple of days for your EDD to change to something like "Aug - Nov 2022" (based on your configuration as shown in your sig you seem to have the exterior color as red and that's an upgrade, so you have an earlier EDD), and the next day have a much earlier and shorter EDD window. I've seen people from early January switch from RWD to LR and 3-4 days after switching already got a VIN and scheduled their delivery. You have high advantages over us late April orders who initially went for RWD but switched to LR.

It's more money, yes, but RWD is backordered really badly because Hertz's order batch still seems like it's not complete.

In conclusion, people switched from RWD to LR with very early ODs and got a VIN no more than a week. SAs often like to say they can't speculate, but we often resort to what people went through. Tesla prioritizes orders by ODs. They see an order from 2021, they run right to your order and build your car and skip everyone else.
That's the thing if they are getting more money if I switch why wouldn't he encourage me to switch . He was trying to hard to keep me on the SR+ model and infact he recommended I don't even enable to edit Option which he claimed will delay my order again. Only after I insisted he agreed to enable to edit otpion. I am going to wait till the end of the day and decide either way since he told me not keep it open for more than a day.

That's the thing if they are getting more money if I switch why wouldn't he encourage me to switch . He was trying to hard to keep me on the SR+ model and infact he recommended I don't even enable to edit Option which he claimed will delay my order again. Only after I insisted he agreed to enable to edit otpion. I am going to wait till the end of the day and decide either way since he told me not keep it open for more than a day.
Are you using the edit link? You can edit through there without asking an SA to change it for you. Of course because of a build change it will impact your EDD, but FWIW, when they see an LR order before February, they put you in front of everyone else and get your order done with. Consult with others who switched from RWD to LR who have an earlier OD than me and ask about their brief experiences switching. I can only tell you that by switching, I got out of an Oct - Dec EDD and I am now sitting at a Jun - Jul EDD (4-week window).

Are you using the edit link? You can edit through there without asking an SA to change it for you. Of course because of a build change it will impact your EDD, but FWIW, when they see an LR order before February, they put you in front of everyone else and get your order done with. Consult with others who switched from RWD to LR who have an earlier OD than me and ask about their brief experiences switching. I can only tell you that by switching, I got out of an Oct - Dec EDD and I am now sitting at a Jun - Jul EDD (4-week window).
Yes I used the link , but it wouldnt allow me to edit just took me to the dashboard. Someone here posted that they had to call the SA to have it enabled to edit.

Reactions: Jbedz
Yes I used the link , but it wouldnt allow me to edit just took me to the dashboard. Someone here posted that they had to call the SA to have it enabled to edit.
I see. I remember not being able to edit but that was because I already had an active financing application in place. Then when my SA put me back to cash, then I was able to edit from RWD to LR. If you have your pre-delivery tasks set to no trade in and cash, then chances are that you probably should contact your SA.

I see that you were already granted the ability to edit again, so decide wisely. More money to leave the waiting game, or less money to stay on the waiting game. Overall, one of the most important things for me about LR compared to RWD is longer range (perhaps that's why it's called Long Range). Switching from a Camry to an M3 RWD is a downgrade in range because my Camry has a range of 330 miles upon filling up the tank, and RWD is much less.

Consider your trips and how you think RWD and LR go head to head on that. Of course there can be more differences aside from range.

Reactions: Scooter_in_Sac
I see. I remember not being able to edit but that was because I already had an active financing application in place. Then when my SA put me back to cash, then I was able to edit from RWD to LR. If you have your pre-delivery tasks set to no trade in and cash, then chances are that you probably should contact your SA.

I see that you were already granted the ability to edit again, so decide wisely. More money to leave the waiting game, or less money to stay on the waiting game. Overall, one of the most important things for me about LR compared to RWD is longer range (perhaps that's why it's called Long Range). Switching from a Camry to an M3 RWD is a downgrade in range because my Camry has a range of 330 miles upon filling up the tank, and RWD is much less.

Consider your trips and how you think RWD and LR go head to head on that. Of course there can be more differences aside from range.

I already have my Odyssey for longer trips , I am replacing my mini cooper for the model 3 SR+ so not too much worried about longer trips . More I think about it I feel 12K more for slightly longer range and Possible earlier EDD , would have made more sense few months ago . I have already waited close to 10 months now , might as well take advantage of the 5K NJ Charge up Credit and get the SR+ at the lower price . Decisions, Decisions!!

I already have my Odyssey for longer trips , I am replacing my mini cooper for the model 3 SR+ so not too much worried about longer trips . More I think about it I feel 12K more for slightly longer range and Possible earlier EDD , would have made more sense few months ago . I have already waited close to 10 months now , might as well take advantage of the 5K NJ Charge up Credit and get the SR+ at the lower price . Decisions, Decisions!!
This is me as well. We have the Ody for kid haulin' and long trippin'. The M3 is for around the town almost exclusively. The car it is replacing has never been farther than 150 miles from home in the 6+ years I've owned it. The extra range is pretty meaningless to me. I'm going to just keep sitting on my somehow appreciating used car until they make my RWD.