Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
VIN arrived 9/16
Pickup scheduled for 9/19 at 4:30pm

Order date May2
Original DD December 22
changed seats to white on May 26- DD changed to October, followed by many more (and earlier) dates.
140 days from order to delivery.
white/white/aero
That's awesome! Hope pick up goes well!

Still waiting for my white/black/aero/no fsd from 4/7 but hopeful it'll be in at the start of the next quarter.

I had a really nice BMW X1 but when gas got really expensive back in June and, of course, it took premium fuel only, I was paying almost $7.00/gallon - the pump stopped at $75 and the tank wasn’t even full. Plus, the maintenance costs were up there - the “included“ oil changes that somehow cost me $1000 every time with other stuff that needed to be done. That was when I figured I would just sell it and get my dream car, a Tesla. I sold the BMW and profited $13K but had $12k in credit card debt to be paid off. I was able to borrow my infirmed Grandma’s car but my family needed it back a couple weeks ago leaving us with only one car in the household (My gf is also looking for a car for her daughter who just started driving.)
It was always going to be tight but I figured I could swing a $700ish payment for the Tesla M3 without too much worries especially without having to need gas or any real maintenance to speak of except tires in a couple years.
Used Teslas are way too expensive still; that’s not an option. But, yeah, I think this dream might be over. It feels like a real defeat having to go and look at and overpay for a new/certified used Honda or Toyota ICE car.
Used, non-FSD Teslas from a third party aren't outrageous compared to buying a brand new one. Teslas website used inventory is all marked up (A) because its Tesla and (B) They enable FSD on all of them.

But yeah, a brand new Tesla is going to take a long time to ROI versus a $20,000 ICE car and gas/oil changes.

I personally am only buying a Tesla because I have solar at home ("free" charging) and commute a total of ~350 miles a week to a job where I also have free charging. My current vehicle is a Toyota Tundra and I get 13mpg, in California, so when the war kicked off in Ukraine I was paying about $700-800 a month for gas. Now I am at about $500/month still for gas.

We picked up the car today right at the appointed time. Coincidently as they tried to open the car with their app, the entire Tesla server went down and no one could get into the Tesla App for about 15 minutes. Then there was a new Tesla app released this morning so I had to download that from the app store to get back into the app. Eventually I had to accept delivery to get into the car. It took a few cycles of killing the app and restarting to get it synced up. The car has the new matrix lights and the Hankook tires. I stopped by Discount Tire on my way home and bought road hazard certificates for them. He looked up that tire in his system and it was like $260/each. Seemed too expensive. Anyway... the build quality was pretty good. In general, the panel gaps looked good except for the passenger front door is too far forward. A small nick in the paint on the driver side rear door. Maybe one of the headlights has an uneven gap. The joint on the headliner between the front and rear don't line up well. The Frunk is difficult to close. I've done this on other cars and this is not normal. I'll make a service appointment to note these things. They really wanted me to document these this way. I've seen this on many cars, not really bad, just being anal. I tested supercharging at the service center and now I'm charging on my wall connector in the garage. Going to take it up to 100 percent and let the cells equalize.

We were told my wife had to be with me during the pickup because she is registered with the car. But since we did not get a loan through Tesla she did not have to be there. Actually there was nothing for either of us to sign. Brought my floor mats with me. The car is really nice. Poured down rain on the drive home and now it is dirty.

The car needs tint. Working on that. The white dash casts a reflection on the inside windows that overlap right on the side mirrors. Annoying. Tint will help but that white has to go.

Overall it was a good experience except for the crashing Tesla server. Now I have to figure out all the various settings.

Also... I connected it to my WiFi and it downloaded 2022.24.8. I'll wait til tonight to install it.

Is this true about downpayment? I don’t have that. I saw tons of people posting about putting nothing down and doing 96 month terms a couple of months ago. I have to rethink this entirely then. My EDD just got a nasty pushback today and we’re really struggling here at home with one car for three drivers.
Buying a 50k car without even the ability to put 10% down…just sayin

I'm with you, there are different schools out there. Some please think that is better 0 down cause you can move your money around and make more money (stock, real estate...etc) in that way you avoid putting your own money at risk (totaling a brand new car after putting a down payment). - two of my closest friends with Teslas...one put 0 down (MYP 2022) payments are near 1k, another one put $8k for a 2022 (M3LR) payment is about $700 and change. My thought has always been to calculate my down on how much I want my monthly payment to be after getting the out of the door price.

I'm with you, there are different schools out there. Some please think that is better 0 down cause you can move your money around and make more money (stock, real estate...etc) in that way you avoid putting your own money at risk (totaling a brand new car after putting a down payment). - two of my closest friends with Teslas...one put 0 down (MYP 2022) payments are near 1k, another one put $8k for a 2022 (M3LR) payment is about $700 and change. My thought has always been to calculate my down on how much I want my monthly payment to be after getting the out of the door price.
I'm putting 50% down for this reason. My other 50% will make me more than the interest I will pay for the life of my loan.

Reactions: kaimanson
You’re right. I’ve bit off more than I can chew. I really, really want a Tesla but I’m just not in a position to do it. Part of my own ‘master plan‘ was to 2.5x my savings with $TSLA shares like I did before the split in 2020 - that didn’t pan out this time unfortunately; made enough for a nice dinner maybe haha. I do think I made the right decision to use the money I had to pay off high-interest credit card debt.
Anyways, I did go ahead and apply for Tesla financing - you CAN put nothing down but it still wanted me to pay sales tax and registration separately. The longest possible term is 72 months, which was verified by a Tesla SA. For anyone that’s curious - the only inquiry that was made was from Wells Fargo Auto, they only looked at my Transunion score and it put a 1 point ding on my score. My Transunion score isn’t even good (697) but I was approved at 4.49%. I can’t comfortably swing the payment on those terms - yes, I’m an impetuous idiot - maybe should have thought about that earlier; at least I did it before having a charger installed for $1000.

You’re right. I’ve bit off more than I can chew. I really, really want a Tesla but I’m just not in a position to do it. Part of my own ‘master plan‘ was to 2.5x my savings with $TSLA shares like I did before the split in 2020 - that didn’t pan out this time unfortunately; made enough for a nice dinner maybe haha. I do think I made the right decision to use the money I had to pay off high-interest credit card debt.
Anyways, I did go ahead and apply for Tesla financing - you CAN put nothing down but it still wanted me to pay sales tax and registration separately. The longest possible term is 72 months, which was verified by a Tesla SA. For anyone that’s curious - the only inquiry that was made was from Wells Fargo Auto, they only looked at my Transunion score and it put a 1 point ding on my score. My Transunion score isn’t even good (697) but I was approved at 4.49%. I can’t comfortably swing the payment on those terms - yes, I’m an impetuous idiot - maybe should have thought about that earlier; at least I did it before having a charger installed for $1000.
Thanks for this info! And sorry that it didn’t work out for you this time. You’ll get your car when the time is right. Mind if I ask what the finance application asks? Is it just income? Or is it asking for things like monthly expenses too?

For the registration/down payment, does it ask you have much you want to put down? Or do you decide that after? And does it prompt you to pay registration now or at pickup?

Sorry for all the questions! Thanks so much.

Reactions: TheRedOx
Thanks for this info! And sorry that it didn’t work out for you this time. You’ll get your car when the time is right. Mind if I ask what the finance application asks? Is it just income? Or is it asking for things like monthly expenses too?

For the registration/down payment, does it ask you have much you want to put down? Or do you decide that after? And does it prompt you to pay registration now or at pickup?

Sorry for all the questions! Thanks so much.
Tesla Finance application is very short, just a few questions; only asks gross salary, job title, employer, rent or own or live with family, rent amt, how long at residence, how long at job
For me, in Illinois, it defaulted to $4500 down but that is not on the vehicle price - my taxes and registration (plus optional ERT fee, whatever that is) totaled $3651.80 and that was the minimum that I could put in the down payment box even though it wasn’t technically a down payment. If I typed “0” in the down payment box then it automatically put $3651.80 in that field. That would have been due at signing; not right away. I think….I didn’t “confirm” the offer. It clearly states “due at signing” though.
Oh, and to add insult to injury, my mobile connector finally shipped this morning 🤣

Tesla Finance application is very short, just a few questions; only asks gross salary, job title, employer, rent or own or live with family, rent amt, how long at residence, how long at job
For me, in Illinois, it defaulted to $4500 down but that is not on the vehicle price - my taxes and registration (plus optional ERT fee, whatever that is) totaled $3651.80 and that was the minimum that I could put in the down payment box even though it wasn’t technically a down payment. If I typed “0” in the down payment box then it automatically put $3651.80 in that field. That would have been due at signing; not right away. I think….I didn’t “confirm” the offer. It clearly states “due at signing” though.
Oh, and to add insult to injury, my mobile connector finally shipped this morning 🤣
Thanks so much for the detailed info. That’s exactly what I needed! I’m concerned about the finance application too. I have great credit but I just bought a house with my partner 2 months ago and that large mortgage just hit my credit report. I think technically I am supposed to put in the full monthly mortgage amount showing on my credit report which hits my Debt to Income ratio badly, but in reality, the mortgage is split with my partner so it’s no where near as bad as it looks. In two minds on what to put on that one! Downpayment is no issue thankfully. Hoping to finance about $45,000 of the $53,000. May even get that down to $42,000 if my current car holds its equity well.

Dang! Well I don’t think you’d have an issue selling a brand new charger. In fact, I am in the process of buying on used on FB marketplace right now but there is a chance that might fall through. If it does, I’d be interested in yours!

Reactions: TheRedOx
I started the week kinda bummed. My delivery date was moved from Saturday 9/17, to Sunday 9/18, and then to Monday 9/19. I was worried it would keep getting pushed out.

Yesterday (9/16) I got the call from a live person saying my car had arrived and making sure we are all set with payment, insurance, etc. for delivery on Monday (9/19). At the end of the call, the woman said “Do you have any questions?” I said “I’m assuming I can’t get it sooner than Monday? I’m ready now! Just kidding.” She went on a long hold and came back and said she tried to get it for “now” but it needed a safety inspection still but she could do tomorrow (aka Saturday aka today at 2!) So, never hurts to ask! Very excited! Hoping all goes well.

OD 4/27, VA. Blue M3 RWD, 18” aero, no FSD.
Got the car yesterday! The whole signing process took maybe 2 minutes, and I was on my way in about 10-15 minutes, including my inspection of it. Easiest car I’ve ever bought! And the car is really awesome. Love it. ❤️