Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is now a good time to order if I want to get delivery on/after Jan 1st? On the Tesla website for my zip code, it says the Estimated Delivery is "December 2022". How accurate is this? And how much can I delay the order, are they okay with a 1-2 week delay?
Tesla tends to push to get cars delivered for end-of-quarter and more so for end-of-year. If it says Dec 2022, I would take it on face value. Overall, if you are trying to delay for the sake of the Tax Credit, it is unlikely the Model 3 RWD will qualify since it uses the newer Chinese-made battery cell from CATL which is assembled into a battery pack in Giga Shanghai before it is exported to Fremont.

While Tesla moves heaven and earth at year end to deliver EVs to customers, I suspect if you order in Q1, you could end up wait upwards of 6 months.

Good luck.

This is exactly why I'm trying to time it where I order in Q4 and get it in Q1. I'm not sure if now is a good time to order or maybe wait 2 more weeks
I think you are misreading the landscape.

The recent news articles about a "refreshed" Model 3 coming in 2024/2025 is further support for the notion that the current Model 3 RWD would not qualify for the EV Tax credit as it is understood today. The production process around the refreshed Model 3 will likely bring the model into alignment with the EV Tax Credit program. Moreover, Giga Berlin still doesn't have a Model 3 production line but rather is focused on ramping Model Y production. Won't they be ramping US production for the Model 3 if they believed demand would spike due to the incentive program? Clearly, they anticipate increasing demand for the Model Y which is widely believed to qualify for the EV Tax Credit, but at approximately $10k more than the Model 3 RWD.

It seems that the Tesla delivery centers are applying a strict three day delivery window and customers who refused delivery are losing their VIN and deposits. If I were you I would wait for Jan 1st as there are an unknown number of people like you who attempting to time their purchase which could result in Model 3s becoming available at delivery centers for reassignment all the way up to the last day of the year.

I think Tesla forgot about me😂 I got the “Your model 3 as departed our factory text” on the 22. Im so anxious to get the delivery text I keep checking my phone.
I got an email today from the delivery center advising that the Model 3 is expected to arrive on Sat 12/03 (left Fremont on 11/21) and I needed to complete all outstanding task 48 hours ahead of the delivery date or risk being rescheduled for 12/04.

Note: They want a PDF of the insurance card as opposed to a photo.

OD- 11/09/2022
EDD - 11/26 to 12/24
EDD (Updated) - 12/03 - 12/12
Delivery Ctr - Mount Kisco
TRIM: MSM, Blk Int, 18 Areo
VIN Assigned on 11/21
Insurance Upload
- 11/21
Payment Via Plaid - 11/21
Request to schedule delivery - 11/27
Tentative Delivery Date - Sunday 12/04 (still in transit)
Email from Delivery Center - ETA Sat 12/03 - Complete Outstanding Task before 48 hrs of delivery date

Miami, FL here.
Model 3 RWD, Deep Blue Metallic, 18”, Black Interior, Standard Autopilot.
Ordered on 10/30/22, window was 01/04-02/08/23
Updated on 11/12/22 to window of 12/02-16/22
Updated on 11/14/22 to window of 11/29-12/13/22
VIN assigned on 11/20/22, window of 12/04-11/22
Haven’t gotten any updates on if the car has left the factory or not. Chatted online and they told me the car was built on 11/19/22 (not sure how accurate that is). Hopefully it arrives before my trip to Disney on 12/08.
Update:
Never got a text about car leaving factory.
Uploaded insurance info on 11/27.
Got email/text to schedule delivery on 11/29. Options were 12/8, 12/9 or 12/10. Chose 0800 on 12/8.
Paid via Plaid on 11/29.
Just a few more days to go!

Reactions: Harry.K.Chu
I got an email today from the delivery center advising that the Model 3 is expected to arrive on Sat 12/03 (left Fremont on 11/21) and I needed to complete all outstanding task 48 hours ahead of the delivery date or risk being rescheduled for 12/04.

Note: They want a PDF of the insurance card as opposed to a photo.

OD- 11/09/2022
EDD - 11/26 to 12/24
EDD (Updated) - 12/03 - 12/12
Delivery Ctr - Mount Kisco
TRIM: MSM, Blk Int, 18 Areo
VIN Assigned on 11/21
Insurance Upload
- 11/21
Payment Via Plaid - 11/21
Request to schedule delivery - 11/27
Tentative Delivery Date - Sunday 12/04 (still in transit)
Email from Delivery Center - ETA Sat 12/03 - Complete Outstanding Task before 48 hrs of delivery date
So they want to see the Model 3 already insured? I uploaded the card for our other vehicles. I haven’t started the policy yet on the Tesla since I don’t have an exact date yet.

Update:
Never got a text about car leaving factory.
Uploaded insurance info on 11/27.
Got email/text to schedule delivery on 11/29. Options were 12/8, 12/9 or 12/10. Chose 0800 on 12/8.
Paid via Plaid on 11/29.
Just a few more days to go!
Well I’m glad to know they’re headed down south. Hopefully mine is carpooling with yours and they just haven’t texted me yet to schedule 😂

So they want to see the Model 3 already insured? I uploaded the card for our other vehicles. I haven’t started the policy yet on the Tesla since I don’t have an exact date yet.

When they asked you to schedule a delivery date, it will come via email and the dates will be about a week away. Within 48 hours of the delivery date they want everything squared away, or they will "have to" reschedule your delivery to "preserve your experience and time." 😂

Hope this helps

When they asked you to schedule a delivery date, it will come via email and the dates will be about a week away. Within 48 hours of the delivery date they want everything squared away, or they will "have to" reschedule your delivery to "preserve your experience and time." 😂

Hope this helps
Agree this no-dealership direct sale can feel crude sometime:)
But I still prefer this way.
I had very bad impression on traditional car dealerships salespeople. There are so many commercial on the TV about dealership, showing some customers testimony saying how much they “respect” me, how “well” they made the purchase go, how “good” they make me feel, they really “take care” of me…. This feel so disgusting to me.

Years ago, when I bought my Camry, I search for new car inventory on the internet, and went to the cheapest one in my area. Before I came there, I talked to the sales and they promise no add-on, no extra charge, you will pay same money as internet quote. Then test drive was good. The moment I need to sign all the papers, they brought a new one with a lot of must have add on, and few thousand $ more. No negotiation. Then I was like “ok you can keep the car, good bye”

Then I had to find several other dealership until one of them is relatively honest.

Agree this no-dealership direct sale can feel crude sometime:)
But I still prefer this way.
I had very bad impression on traditional car dealerships salespeople. There are so many commercial on the TV about dealership, showing some customers testimony saying how much they “respect” me, how “well” they made the purchase go, how “good” they make me feel, they really “take care” of me…. This feel so disgusting to me.

Years ago, when I bought my Camry, I search for new car inventory on the internet, and went to the cheapest one in my area. Before I came there, I talked to the sales and they promise no add-on, no extra charge, you will pay same money as internet quote. Then test drive was good. The moment I need to sign all the papers, they brought a new one with a lot of must have add on, and few thousand $ more. No negotiation. Then I was like “ok you can keep the car, good bye”

Then I had to find several other dealership until one of them is relatively honest.
I agree, I recently moved to the US (coming from Europe where my only new car I ever bought was another SR+ in 2019), and we were right on the edge of affording another model 3, so we were shopping a bit around, I felt really uncomfortable going to the dealers. At the end we did choose tesla again because of the no-brainer and simple proces.

Feeling the same thing as I felt 3-1/2 years ago... can't wait to 12/9!