Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious, how did you tell where your inventory car is/was located?

Ordered a M3 RWD on 12/24 then on 1/1 was offered to switch to an inventory car of a different color with a vin already assigned for faster delivery. That's what I did and since then, the estimate has been 1/15 - 23.

I live in a city with a service center but I assume it wasn't already located there or I'd have heard by now. Haven't had any communications beyond the standard fill out your info in the app notifications.

Of course I should be patient and wait until at least the 15th before I do any digging.
I asked the Tesla delivery team each time I wanted to know where the car was and sometimes they would tell me. I did this via text message and once in person when I was at a family member's delivery.

I asked the Tesla delivery team each time I wanted to know where the car was and sometimes they would tell me. I did this via text message and once in person when I was at a family member's delivery.
Ah, thank you. That's what I figured but maybe there was an off chance there was some info I was missing I could track. I guess I should be patient and wait until the estimated date before I bother anyone.

When I ordered my M3 on Dec 30, it said estimated delivery was January 2023. This morning it changed to Jan 14 - Feb 11. I'm still hopeful that I get it this month. With a date of Jan 14, that would imply the car has already been built and is in transit.

It took 3 weeks to transport my model S last year. Built on Jan 6, 2022 and arrived at delivery center Jan 27. My EDD still said Jan 31 to Feb 28. I never got a VIN or any other updates until the day it arrived at the delivery center. Maybe the same thing will happen again this time.

When you found the car in inventory, did you use your home zip code? I'm in California but if I was to order an inventory car in New York (by using a NY zip code), it would tell me it's available to pick up at the local NY location. How did you get it to be shipped?
Yep, I used my home zip code. When I asked Tesla delivery why it was shown in inventory when the car was not actually available locally, they said that they put cars in inventory when they are not matched to someone and are in transit.

Reactions: mgs333
When I ordered my M3 on Dec 30, it said estimated delivery was January 2023. This morning it changed to Jan 14 - Feb 11. I'm still hopeful that I get it this month. With a date of Jan 14, that would imply the car has already been built and is in transit.

It took 3 weeks to transport my model S last year. Built on Jan 6, 2022 and arrived at delivery center Jan 27. My EDD still said Jan 31 to Feb 28. I never got a VIN or any other updates until the day it arrived at the delivery center. Maybe the same thing will happen again this time.
I placed an order 1/1 and have a EDD of Jan 14-30th. I received a text today if I'm interested in a trade in. I don't know if that means anything.

I placed an order 1/1 and have a EDD of Jan 14-30th. I received a text today if I'm interested in a trade in. I don't know if that means anything.
When you placed the order did you answer the question about a trade in? If you left it blank, they might just be trying to get the predelivery items finished off. If you're not doing a trade in, I would tell them that. In the past, making sure all the questions were answered tended to speed things up.

I put my order in for a Model 3 SR on Dec 22nd and got my home charger (about a week later) and now my app says estimated delivery Jan 7th-21st. I'm located close to Dallas, Texas. Will update once they contact me with a VIN.. nothing yet.
Got my VIN yesterday - so Jan 7th. Around 2 weeks.. not counting Holidays. And got an appointment for delivery in a week and a half. Will report on that experience (as I have learned a lot reading other experiences here)

Reactions: MGMiller
I put my order in for a Model 3 SR on Dec 22nd and got my home charger (about a week later) and now my app says estimated delivery Jan 7th-21st. I'm located close to Dallas, Texas. Will update once they contact me with a VIN.. nothing yet.
Ordered MSM M3 yesterday, 1/2/23, after reading an article that said now’s a good time to purchase a Tesla M3 SR or MY. It stated that from January to March while the applicable governmental department solidifies the rules, we’re in a grace period where the battery source isn’t taken into account. Hope the article is accurate. I did check out the IRS website and Tesla M3 SR currently is eligible for the (up to) $7500 tax back.
Currently my delivery window is Jan-Feb
Yep, I used my home zip code. When I asked Tesla delivery why it was shown in inventory when the car was not actually available locally, they said that they put cars in inventory when they are not matched to someone and are in transit.
Got my VIN yesterday - so Jan 7th. Around 2 weeks.. not counting Holidays. And got an appointment for delivery in a week and a half. Will report on that experience (as I have learned a lot reading other experiences here)
Thanks for the update. Congrats! I ordered on 1/2 and now have a delivery estimate of 1/20-2/23. I’m in the metro Atlanta area so I’ll probably have a longer wait but hopefully I’ll also get a VIN within 2-3 weeks of my order date.

Just got my VIN today. Delivery estimate changed to Jan20-27 from Jan7-21. Not yet able to schedule delivery.

Been a number of RWD showing available in Austin this week. I had thought I might try to switch to inventory model, but now I probably just hold out, an inventory model could've been rejected for body gaps, etc.

Only unknown is possible price cuts. If that happens and LR is eligible for tax credit I may consider switching.

Just got my VIN today. Delivery estimate changed to Jan20-27 from Jan7-21. Not yet able to schedule delivery.

Been a number of RWD showing available in Austin this week. I had thought I might try to switch to inventory model, but now I probably just hold out, an inventory model could've been rejected for body gaps, etc.

Only unknown is possible price cuts. If that happens and LR is eligible for tax credit I may consider switching.
I took delivery in early Dec 2022 and got the $3,750 incentive but missed the $7,500 incentive with 10k charging miles. I put my discount towards the FSD upgrade. Overall I am not disappointed about missing the extra incentives, I am literally saving hundreds a week in gasoline costs and standard maintenance involved with owning a IC vehicle.

The Model 3 is by far the best car I've ever owned. If you are not in the business of flipping cars, I don't think it is worthwhile to time the purchase of a Tesla EV around rumored discounts. More so if you are the type who plans on keeping the car for an extended period.

Reactions: MacO512
I took delivery in early Dec 2022 and got the $3,750 incentive but missed the $7,500 incentive with 10k charging miles. I put my discount towards the FSD upgrade. Overall I am not disappointed about missing the extra incentives, I am literally saving hundreds a week in gasoline costs and standard maintenance involved with owning a IC vehicle.

The Model 3 is by far the best car I've ever owned. If you are not in the business of flipping cars, I don't think it is worthwhile to time the purchase of a Tesla EV around rumored discounts. More so if you are the type who plans on keeping the car for an extended period.
Hey thanks, Harry. I’m not sure which category of car buyer I fit into since I’ve owned quite a few cars in the last couple of years. But I would like to find a car that I can keep long term.

I’ve had a Chevy Bolt and a Polestar 2 and now I own an ICE Mazda SUV. I loved my 2020 Bolt but got spooked with the battery issues, bought a PS2 AWD that was a nice car and crazy fast but had issues with a computer module. I had to ship it out of town to get it repaired and realized that wasn’t going to work for me so I bought the Mazda mainly because there was no markup-I would have tried a Kia, Hyundai or Ford EV but refused to pay the markups.
So now I’m considering (I’ve ordered one) the Tesla. I test drove one last week but I’m going to pick up a rental from Hertz today to give myself more time with it.

Congrats on your Tesla. What colors exterior and interior?

In the off-chance this is useful to someone. I ordered a new car from inventory on 1/1 with a VIN already assigned, and it gave me an estimated delivery date of 1/15 - 1/23.

I had filled out all the steps in the app except for insurance. It says it needs insurance proof that includes the VIN of the car. However, I can't update my policy without knowing an exact switchover date, so I left that undone.

This morning I asked the number that sends the status updates and they told me it's fine to just upload your current policy.

After doing that a couple hours later I received a call from the local service center to schedule a delivery appointment. They also verified the car is scheduled to arrive on the 15th and I could arrange an appointment for the next day.

So it does appear they know when you have all your pre-delivery tasks completed.

We already got a Y with FSD I'll keep long term. Need a second car, might eventually replace it with Rivian or something else, so while no I'm not trying to flip it I'd prefer not to lose many thousands of equity soon if waiting a few more days will help. Tentatively planning on M3RWD for this second vehicle.

M3LR is only $1500 price drop from qualifying for $7500 tax credit. So if we see that drop, I'd rather pay a bit extra for LR upgrade if possible, or if RWD can similarly have me pocket a few thousand. We saw huge price drops in Asia last week and US inventory is quickly increasing.

Hoping there is price cut before my delivery. Otherwise I probably still go through with it.

Just a very different time environment than 8 months ago when prices were soaring and everything was sold out.

Reactions: voxel and Wahiawahi
We already got a Y with FSD I'll keep long term. Need a second car, might eventually replace it with Rivian or something else, so while no I'm not trying to flip it I'd prefer not to lose many thousands of equity soon if waiting a few more days will help. Tentatively planning on M3RWD for this second vehicle.

M3LR is only $1500 price drop from qualifying for $7500 tax credit. So if we see that drop, I'd rather pay a bit extra for LR upgrade if possible, or if RWD can similarly have me pocket a few thousand. We saw huge price drops in Asia last week and US inventory is quickly increasing.

Hoping there is price cut before my delivery. Otherwise I probably still go through with it.

Just a very different time environment than 8 months ago when prices were soaring and everything was sold out.
It does feel like they’re about to drop prices in the U.S. We just missed out on the $7,500 credit that included 10,000 free SC miles. With Tesla dropping prices in China, after they raised prices so much last year in the U.S., and interest rates higher than they’ve been in years; it seems only logical that they will have to drop prices here. The question is when will prices drop in the U.S.?

It does feel like they’re about to drop prices in the U.S. We just missed out on the $7,500 credit that included 10,000 free SC miles. With Tesla dropping prices in China, after they raised prices so much last year in the U.S., and interest rates higher than they’ve been in years; it seems only logical that they will have to drop prices here. The question is when will prices drop in the U.S.?
Agreed. One suspicion I have for the US price cut delay is the model Y. I dont believe Tesla suspected the 5 seat Y to be limited to 55k instead of 80k tax credit. Tesla might not be sure how to proceed here. Do they build more 7 seaters, or price the low range AWD Y at 55k? If they want to sell RWD Y as in China it first needs EPA testing and other certifications that is who knows how many months away.

Also I feel like Tesla prefers one huge price cut to the many small cuts. The small increases last year had people ordering with fear of missing out. If people suspect more price cuts ahead they might want to hold off ordering to wait and see. But if it's one huge cut they may feel like it's a great deal and now time to buy.

Agreed. One suspicion I have for the US price cut delay is the model Y. I dont believe Tesla suspected the 5 seat Y to be limited to 55k instead of 80k tax credit. Tesla might not be sure how to proceed here. Do they build more 7 seaters, or price the low range AWD Y at 55k? If they want to sell RWD Y as in China it first needs EPA testing and other certifications that is who knows how many months away.

Also I feel like Tesla prefers one huge price cut to the many small cuts. The small increases last year had people ordering with fear of missing out. If people suspect more price cuts ahead they might want to hold off ordering to wait and see. But if it's one huge cut they may feel like it's a great deal and now time to buy.
Tesla like all automakers are in no position to advise their customers on the EV Tax Credit or to make price change or manufacturing changes based on sketchy guidance that is subject to change. It is completely mismanaged and has caused more and more confusion. Until there are finalized Agency Rules, I won't expect to hear much from any of the automakers.

If you need a car in 2023, I would just go ahead. I have a feeling that the Dec 2022 Incentives will go down as one of the best time to have bought a Tesla.

Tesla like all automakers are in no position to advise their customers on the EV Tax Credit or to make price change or manufacturing changes based on sketchy guidance that is subject to change. It is completely mismanaged and has caused more and more confusion. Until there are finalized Agency Rules, I won't expect to hear much from any of the automakers.

If you need a car in 2023, I would just go ahead. I have a feeling that the Dec 2022 Incentives will go down as one of the best time to have bought a Tesla.
The guidance is very firm for Q1 of 2023. The only unknown is possible reduction in the credit on battery sourcing. But that would only be a reduction, and only apply in March or later.

I agree it's been a very confusing roleout of what the rules are up to this point. But now the rules are very clear IMO for 2023. Im a CPA though.

I don't believe Tesla can advise customers. But if they change pricing by a few thousand dollars to get below a limit it could greatly increase demand and sales.

Reactions: Wahiawahi
The guidance is very firm for Q1 of 2023. The only unknown is possible reduction in the credit on battery sourcing. But that would only be a reduction, and only apply in March or later.

I agree it's been a very confusing roleout of what the rules are up to this point. But now the rules are very clear IMO for 2023. Im a CPA though.

I don't believe Tesla can advise customers. But if they change pricing by a few thousand dollars to get below a limit it could greatly increase demand and sales.
I read that GM is now lobbying to change the classification of their Cadillac EV to an SUV. I would hardly describe the guidance as "very firm." Agency Law requires that the IRS codify rules to implement the IRA's EV Tax Credit component. They in fact just started the public comment period which will be open until the end of Feb. They have not completed or finalized that. But each buyer will need to come to their own conclusion.

My suspicion is that there will be changes now that legacy autos are asking for modifications. As a CPA, won't you be looking for the IRC to be updated before you began advising your clients?

Last edited:
I read that GM is now lobbying to change the classification of their Cadillac EV to an SUV. I would hardly describe the guidance as "very firm." Agency Law requires that the IRS codify rules to implement the IRA's EV Tax Credit component. They in fact just started the public comment period which will be open until the end of Feb. They have not completed or finalized that. But each buyer will need to come to their own conclusion.

My suspicion is that there will be changes now that legacy autos are asking for modifications. As a CPA, won't you be looking for the IRC to be updated before you began advising your clients?
Good post. I don't work with tax, and don't have clients, so no.

My view is it's clear now what the limits are for each model in 2023. IRS used classifications based on weight, passengers, other tax laws, etc that have precedence, they weren't pulled out of nowhere. Id suspect the rules don't change.

Personally the idea of a higher dollar limit for heavier SUV is stupid anyways, and there should be just one MSRP limit. But that was Congress decision to structure it this way and not make it clearly defined.

Who knows, maybe the IRS rules do change. If so then many buyers will change what they buy at that time IMO. Or if congress decides to just make this more simple and amend the law. But once we are in a current year where people have or have not done actions it's much less likely those changes get made retroactively IMO.