Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starting to regret my purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not quite sure if your math is right... perhaps stats are not your forte but out of the 500k+ Teslas and 300k+ Model 3s? out in the wild, doubt half of them are actually with issues.

Then again, that also happens on other manufacturers but you get it as recalls and such.
Well not being a Billionaire like Elon Musk, my situation purchasing a single vehicle that has multiple issues with a service that is sub par is a big issue. Guess that is the difference between statistics and reality in the real world.

Reactions: Johnii__82
If this is the quality of Tesla Model 3 products why we could assume they would last 1.000000 miles????

Model 3 Paint bubbling defect : teslamotors

Also it started with as easy as paint chipping away. Paint is so thin & soft that it can't handle 4 weeks usage on paved roads with summer tires!

Here is my model 3 on 1300 miles. !! :/ Tesla Model 3 after 1300 miles - Google Drive

And here is our global complaint to Tesla: Consumer advocacy service

For sure i regret my purchase when i used 96.000 $ for Tesla Model 3 performance @ Finland. I am outrageous when Tesla tries to call this normal behavior that it can't handle paved & asphalt roads without having mudguards + ppf. Why Tesla is not then installing them or using better quality painting or harder coatings.

• Informative
Reactions: super20g
I also live in sand/salt climes and have gone through 2 winters, but have zero issues with that. Clear coat is still intact and glossy everywhere.[/QUOTE]

Have you looked at the undercarriage --Have you seen this video it's driving on a dirt road the guy accumulated 15 lbs. of dirt under the car
just imagine the salt getting up there it has to be doing something to those batteries I'm sure it's like that on a lot of cars with those under shields collecting everything also but a battery pack has to be worse

• Informative
Reactions: Johnii__82
Yikes. My Model 3 is on a cargo ship coming to Hawaii to Maui where we have no Tesla service centers and I'll be taking the delivery in a month or two and this thread is amplifying my concerns XD Fingers crossed.
A so many people have observed, all human-built objects can have problems. In my personal history of >50 new cars (ok, I'm old and a sucker for cars) I have had lemons from some surprising sources (e.g. BMW, Porsche and Mercedes come to mind) and some not-so-surpising ones (e.g.Maserati, Alfa, Morgan). My two Tesla ones have been well better than average (P85D) and perfect (P3D+). Even my long drives in Model X (I did not own one but have driven them several thousand miles) revealed no problems. Zero question, some Tesla vehicles have problems, even now. I am a skeptic on many of the negative reports recently, not because they could not happen, but because the facts often are obscured by odd locutions common to ice but unusual in Tesla jargon such as 'keys' and 'dealers'. That is not to say that each such poster is promoting FUD, for some Tesla owners probably say such things.

Anyway, on Maui you do have Mobile Service. Enjoy your car when it comes.:D

Reactions: Wizard2416
Fingers crossed.

You should not have to cross your fingers when you buy a $50,000 car.

I am heavily researching buying a Tesla. It seems like there are a very high percentage of problems with the new Model 3s. That is based largely on anecdotal evidence, but also based upon things like the Consumer Reports rating, and next move cancelling an order of 100 vehicles after getting 15 of them.

I also understand that a cars will have problems. But the problem with Tesla is that the service centers are so jammed right now, and many won't even pick up the phone. This is a major problem if you are one of the owners who is unlucky

• Funny
Reactions: Wizard2416
"a very high percentage of problems with the new Model 3s."

So you have seen hundreds of thousands of owners reporting issues? really? I am interested in seeing that data because with close to 400,000 models 3, a high percentage of problems would be obvious.

In reality, people with problems are typically the vocal minority, not majority. If you don't have issues, you aren't making a point of saying everything is great.

Last edited:
Thank you, soooo much. While I'm sorry you had the problems you did, and believe there are paint problems at Tesla, carpet bombing every tread repeating the same 'ol, same 'ol isn't helping the cause. Best of luck getting the matter resolved quickly!
Oh, come on. I find his amount of drive entertaining. I imagine how annoyed Tesla lawyers are with him spreading the paint concerns in every nook and cranny on the internet and I just chuckle.

Last edited:
"a very high percentage of problems with the new Model 3s."

So you have seen hundreds of thousands of owners reporting issues? really? I am interested in seeing that data because with close to 400,000 models 3, a high percentage of problems would be obvious.

Does anyone (other than Tesla) have any idea of the actual percentage of M3s with problems?

We do know that Nextmove received 15 M3s, and cancelled an order for 85 more based on problems with those 15. So, based on that sampling, the number is at least 1/15 and is probably higher.

You're right.

I have a coworker whose Mercedes C62 AMG was a frequent visitor to the service centre. In the end, he was counting days to get rid of the car.

In fairness to Tesla and Mercedes, you can have problems with any car.

My present 2016 Mercedes C300 has had three unscheduled visits to service in 3 years. One time, I had a gas smell. Something was replaced and I was given a relatively new Mercedes as a loaner. On two other occasions, the shade on my sun roof stuck. Both times, they were repaired in a day, and Mercedes paid for an Uber to and from the service center.

Teslas are excellent cars to drive. Indeed, I can't recall driving a more unique, fun car. However, many of the slew of Model 3s appear to be poorly built, and people can't get them serviced. That's a different problem from randomly getting a car with problems.

I also live in sand/salt climes and have gone through 2 winters, but have zero issues with that. Clear coat is still intact and glossy everywhere.

Have you looked at the undercarriage --Have you seen this video it's driving on a dirt road the guy accumulated 15 lbs. of dirt under the car
just imagine the salt getting up there it has to be doing something to those batteries I'm sure it's like that on a lot of cars with those under shields collecting everything also but a battery pack has to be worse

I've heard of 2 instances of people discovering loads of crap under that bottom shield. The place where it accumulates does not touch the battery. I've taken that rear part off to look what's in there. I had some dirt in there but nothing like 15lb of it. Makes me wonder if these people off-roaded or something.

I've heard of 2 instances of people discovering loads of crap under that bottom shield. The place where it accumulates does not touch the battery. I've taken that rear part off to look what's in there. I had some dirt in there but nothing like 15lb of it. Makes me wonder if these people off-roaded or something.

He said it's his road to his house in the video I seen it about 3 weeks ago but don't remember everything he said I

Well that's good news for Tesla owners if it's not near the battery

all these vehicles that have these undercarriage shields you really have to wonder what's up in them some parts of them only come down for oil changes but the rest of it they never come down unless it's a mechanical issue