Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

State based EV road user charge (Overturned 18/10/23)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EV owners to receive tax refunds with interest by early 2024

It'd be nice if they refunded the forced credit card surcharge... but i'm guessing they won't

The credit card surcharge is included.
I received my refund letter today and had to submit a “refund request “.
Interest has been calculated to 1st March 2024.

Scanned the QR code. I guess now I wait for the cheque (why they can't do electronic payment :mad: )
Then I guess I need to visit a bank branch to deposit it cause that'll be fun

That said.. I guess it's $500+ dollars that I wasn't expecting to see again

Let’s hope whatever the commonwealth cooks up doesn’t smash regional and rural drivers as hard as this abomination did.

I suspect the Commonwealth is working with state Transport Ministers as we speak to cook up an alternative that will then be administered by the States (as they have the registration data) and they collect the revenue. That would mean a nationally uniform rate and set of rules.

One way to not unduly hit drivers on metro fringes who have long commutes every day (i.e. voters in marginal electorates) is with a tiered system, e.g. 2c/km below 15,000 km/year, 1c/km for every km over 15,000 but below 25,000, 0.5c per km for every km thereafter and perhaps an annual cap.

Also it’s a bit of a myth regional and rural drivers drive the most. Some do, but a lot don’t. Regional towns are small and so commutes are short (nothing like people driving 60+ km each way every working day in Sydney), and longer trips to neighbouring towns or the capital city might be infrequent.

I haven’t found any robust data on average distance driven per year vs. postcode where the vehicle is garaged, but this ABS report shows that average distance driven per year is not higher in the lower-density states, e.g. VIC has the highest population density but VIC drivers drive the most per year among all the states. Which is the opposite of what you’d expect if the regional/rural hypothesis was true.

Survey of Motor Vehicle Use, Australia, 12 Months ended 30 June 2020