Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

State based EV road user charge (Overturned 18/10/23)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my refund letter. Have moved house over the summer (though why that should be any sort of issue I don't know; I changed my address on the VicRoads website/portal and was promptly sent the sticker for the back of license).

Not quite sure why the cheque couldn't have been included in this first letter. To make me agree to the conditions? And cheque?! My bank won't even do cheques any more. Ugh.

Just got my refund letter. Have moved house over the summer (though why that should be any sort of issue I don't know; I changed my address on the VicRoads website/portal and was promptly sent the sticker for the back of license).

Not quite sure why the cheque couldn't have been included in this first letter. To make me agree to the conditions? And cheque?! My bank won't even do cheques any more. Ugh.
You will be able to deposit this at any post office.

Nearly everyone can do basic banking at their local post office.

• Informative
Reactions: bay74
I never understood why people have concerns with other people knowing their bank account numbers. Every business, including mine, sends that around openly. Nobody can withdraw money from my account by providing the bank account number and the name. It's not a credit card number.

It bemuses me though that VICroads are handling this via cheques. It's like those cash back schemes at any whitegoods store. Are they speculating on people not cashing it? People forgetting about it? Sheer outdatedness of their processes? So far behind the power curve they're rolling off the axis onto their bums?

It bemuses me though that VICroads are handling this via cheques. It's like those cash back schemes at any whitegoods store. Are they speculating on people not cashing it? People forgetting about it? Sheer outdatedness of their processes? So far behind the power curve they're rolling off the axis onto their bums?
Any business or government organisation that mostly pays other businesses or governments tends to have its accounting system set up to send cheques.

I once received a Medicare refund as a cheque drawn on the Reserve Bank.

I never understood why people have concerns with other people knowing their bank account numbers. Every business, including mine, sends that around openly. Nobody can withdraw money from my account by providing the bank account number and the name. It's not a credit card number.

It’s not the risk that someone could withdraw cash, but that it could become a component of an identity theft. Every bit of data, no matter how innocuous it seems, can build up a plausible profile that you are someone you are not.

I just find it amusing that Vic Roads was quite happy to insist that WE be up with the latest technology, take a digital photo of the odometer with a smart phone and then upload that image via the INTERNET of all things... and then refund via cheque.

Medicare has my bank account details and EFT's me refunds all the time - my registration is paid by direct debit which I manage on the Vic Roads website.

Reactions: paulp
It’s not the risk that someone could withdraw cash, but that it could become a component of an identity theft. Every bit of data, no matter how innocuous it seems, can build up a plausible profile that you are someone you are not.
Your bank account details are never part of an identity check. Drivers license, Medicare card (oddly!), and utilities bills however are.

I understand where you're coming from... but it just doesn't make sense. Just imagine how dangerous it would be otherwise for sole traders to disclose their bank account details.

VicRoads allow payment by cheque but it seems that if you attend the Customer service centre you can't pay by cheque

IMG_2664.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: paulp
Remember Vicroads was part privatised in 2022 so they'll be looking to make money which drives me to #2 my gut feeling on the cheques and the process is they're hoping some people won't cash them or do the whole process so not be eligible.

I figure it's one of those, let's make it as tricky a possible to try to reduce our payments.

Sheesh there is a lot of carry-on here. It’s not hard to cash a cheque. While ATMs are disappearing, typically at least one ATM per bank branch can scan cheques and the money is in your account a couple of days later 🙄. You can even line up inside, if you want.

Sheesh there is a lot of carry-on here. It’s not hard to cash a cheque. While ATMs are disappearing, typically at least one ATM per bank branch can scan cheques and the money is in your account a couple of days later 🙄. You can even line up inside, if you want.
Some banks have check depositing at home via the app, and you get to keep the cheque

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: bay74 and Vostok
Some banks have check depositing at home via the app, and you get to keep the cheque
Yep, both NAB and Westpac (and probably other banks too) let you deposit a cheque with the app.

You don't even have to get dressed or put pants on!

Everyone seems to be getting their letter/cheques so thought I'd follow up if I missed a letter. Called Friday and they had me confirm bank statements and payments and jumped through every hoop to be told mine was eligible but hadn't been looked at yet and they'll get to it when they're ready. :rolleyes: